Re: R7000 and Intel 7260 AC

markk132
Novice

R7000 and Intel 7260 AC

My laptop with the Intel Wireless 7260 AC adapter sometimes wakes up from sleep and can't connect to the network. It only happens just after it wakes up from sleep, and it's once a day or so, not ever single time. I've been trying every driver I can find to fix the problem. I have 2 macbooks and several phones that never can't connect or disconnect, but I can't seem to keep my laptop consistent. It's a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. any help would be appreciated, i'm sure many of you have this adapter in your laptops. thanks!
Message 1 of 15
Redtulips7
Apprentice

I do have AC7260 in my Alienware M18XR2 but my Laptop set to not to go to sleep mode!!!I will try to replicate your setup today to see what happen?
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 2 of 15
MisterG14
Aspirant

This is actually an issue with the Intel card, rather than the router, I have the same issue. Disabling then re-enabling the wireless interface in windows usually brings it back up without needing a reboot

Although its well known that theres many many issues with the 7260... mainly the fact its pretty much useless in 2.4gig N mode!
Message 3 of 15
markk132
Novice

Redtulips7,

thanks. like I said, doesn't happen every time, only sometimes. but when it happens, not even restarting the machine fixes it. I have to manually disable the wifi card and then re enable it in the windows control panel, and then it'll connect again. very odd. didn't happen with my previous airport extreme AC router that I just returned for the R7000.
Message 4 of 15
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Have you checked the driver version of the 7260 AC? You may try to test other driver versions if same problem occurs.
Message 5 of 15
Tjisret
Aspirant

I have an Asus Laptop also with the 7260 AC Adapter also with the same problem that you have had. What I have found is that it is a Windows 8.1 problem. There has been an update somewhere along the line that has caused this. What I have found to make it behave is going to the Intel Web Site and get the end user package of driver (Date June 26, 2014) and install or update this but when you do so make sure that you install the all the Expert Package that comes with it. And let that Intel Software that you have just installed manage the connection not Windows. This worked for me but not necessarily will work in all cases. Pretty much all the instructions that you need is included in the download package.
Message 6 of 15
markk132
Novice

Tjisret wrote:
I have an Asus Laptop also with the 7260 AC Adapter also with the same problem that you have had. What I have found is that it is a Windows 8.1 problem. There has been an update somewhere along the line that has caused this. What I have found to make it behave is going to the Intel Web Site and get the end user package of driver (Date June 26, 2014) and install or update this but when you do so make sure that you install the all the Expert Package that comes with it. And let that Intel Software that you have just installed manage the connection not Windows. This worked for me but not necessarily will work in all cases. Pretty much all the instructions that you need is included in the download package.

which windows 8.1 update are you talking about? must be the one on 7/23/14, which was a small update to fix onedrive desktop syncing. the last update before that was on 7/9/14, and I haven't been having the problem for that long. since 7/23/14 sounds about right.
Message 7 of 15
Tjisret
Aspirant

markk132 wrote:
which windows 8.1 update are you talking about? must be the one on 7/23/14, which was a small update to fix onedrive desktop syncing. the last update before that was on 7/9/14, and I haven't been having the problem for that long. since 7/23/14 sounds about right.

I bought my laptop in June of this year and that problem started around the middle of the month. Not sure what updated caused it! At first I did think it was caused by my R7000 but not all the devices that I have had the problem (Iphones, iPads and another Laptop running Windows 7). But I did get that update straight from Intel and bypassed Asus and that seems to have taken care of it.
Message 8 of 15
Tjisret
Aspirant

Message 9 of 15
markk132
Novice

Tjisret wrote:
Forgot to include that download link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3714

I already have the latest driver direct from intel from your link, but you said you downloaded the driver package that's 'recommended for IT administrators'? because I downloaded the one that's 'recommended for end-customers' and I still have the issue. it's the same driver version, 17.0.5. let me know, thanks
Message 10 of 15
Tjisret
Aspirant

I have the same pkg that you have which is the end user. When you install it it will ask you if you want to install the expert pkg or just the driver and the basic software. If you don't have the expert software installed rerun the install program! And then install the expert pkg it should include 4-5 programs and then let the Intel Software manage the your wireless connection not Windows. If this does not work you might want to go to the following link which is a Windows 8 Forum and start browsing and you might get more ideas and post questions and someone might be able. http://www.eightforums.com/ And one thing you will notice you are not alone in Windows 8.1 WiFi problems. And I tell you what if it was not for me using Quicken I would of dumped Windows and went to a Mac in my last computer purchase. But I will almost guarantee you your problem is not related to the Netgear R7000. I am not an expert just throwing my 2 cents in.
Message 11 of 15
markk132
Novice

Tjisret wrote:
I have the same pkg that you have which is the end user. When you install it it will ask you if you want to install the expert pkg or just the driver and the basic software. If you don't have the expert software installed rerun the install program! And then install the expert pkg it should include 4-5 programs and then let the Intel Software manage the your wireless connection not Windows. If this does not work you might want to go to the following link which is a Windows 8 Forum and start browsing and you might get more ideas and post questions and someone might be able. http://www.eightforums.com/ And one thing you will notice you are not alone in Windows 8.1 WiFi problems. And I tell you what if it was not for me using Quicken I would of dumped Windows and went to a Mac in my last computer purchase. But I will almost guarantee you your problem is not related to the Netgear R7000. I am not an expert just throwing my 2 cents in.

i appreciate your help. i've contacted Intel customer support and they got back to me and told me it's a known issue and they are working on an updated driver version to fix it. in the meantime, i'll go back into my Intel installer and install the extra software and see how that goes for now. thanks.
Message 12 of 15
Shadowlore
Guide

There was some discussion of this on the intel forums a few weeks ago (I also have an 8.1 Asus laptop with a 72060 HMW installed, and see the same issue).

Apparently if you roll back your driver to the one that was launched back in.. March, I believe, the problem goes away, but you lose some of the current improvements made to the driverset as well.

So I guess, what's the better trade off for you? For me, it's just putting a manual shut down, but apparently a hibernate option works for some people too. 🙂
~ Shadowlore
Message 13 of 15
markk132
Novice

Shadowlore wrote:
There was some discussion of this on the intel forums a few weeks ago (I also have an 8.1 Asus laptop with a 72060 HMW installed, and see the same issue).

Apparently if you roll back your driver to the one that was launched back in.. March, I believe, the problem goes away, but you lose some of the current improvements made to the driverset as well.

So I guess, what's the better trade off for you? For me, it's just putting a manual shut down, but apparently a hibernate option works for some people too. 🙂

as long as I know this is a known issue, and Intel is working on it, and there are backdoor ways of fixing it for now (which means Intel surely will find a way to fix it with a driver update soon), then i'm happy. i'll just deal with it until the next driver release.
Message 14 of 15
Tjisret
Aspirant

Also there is one other thing you might want to try if you have not done so already! It to go to the Device Manager and look for the Network Adapters and Delete the Wireless Adapter and a windows comes up and will ask you to confirm and do you want to delete the software (MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT CHECK THE BOX TO DELETE SOFTWARE)
Now restart you computer and at restart Windows should rebuild you Wireless Adapter. If you have access to a Ethernet Cable and can hook directly you your router do so and you should not loose you internet connection. This might help also (this does reset your adapter back to default settings and you will have to make setting changes again).
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E