Re: R7000 and Optimum / Optonline / Altice

IHateOptimum
Aspirant

R7000 and Optimum / Optonline / Altice

My R7000 worked great... that is until Altice bought Optimum, and it was downhill from there.

One night my Internet suddenly stopped. Optimum claimed there were no service disruptions in my area and that I should just power off/on my router. Sure enough, it worked.

And then the next night at around 12:30 a.m., the Internet went out again. This scenario repeated itself almost nightly for months afterward. Optimum made all sorts of excuses, but mostly told me it was my equipment and that I should get their router. At one point they replaced the modem, but that didn't fix it.

I finally filed an FCC complaint and then the mystery outages shifted from 12:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. Months later a rep changed the story and said there were local outages happening, and then a few months after that the story changed again to "area maintenance" that starts at 12:30 a.m.

As bad as the pandemic is, the silver lining was that my system suddenly began working without issue. It's pretty obvious why that occurred.

Then last week I bought a new modem and my abysmal Internet speeds skyrocketed. Sure as heck, it wasn't my R7000 after all. I got the modem online with the help of a tech rep on the phone. The next day I received a survey and I blasted the company for claiming all along that it was my router that caused the issues. Can you guess what happened the next day? Yup, my service began to be interrupted several times each day... and again Optimum claims... wait for it... it's my router.

I'm going to play along one last time and take them at their disreputable word. So, let's say it is my R7000. Why? Are there certain settings I need for Optimum's 200 service? Is my router not playing nicely with my new Motorola - 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem? Is the R7000 susceptible to outages or line disruptions to the point that with each one I need to power cycle it?

Does anyone have any ideas? Your insights would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

> My R7000 worked great... [...]

Firmware version?

> [...] The next day I received a survey and I blasted the company for
> claiming all along that it was my router that caused the issues. Can you
> guess what happened the next day? [...]

And time passed.  There's a technical term for that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

A Web/forum search for your model number and firmware version number
might find some interesting things.

> [...] Are there certain settings I need for Optimum's 200 service?
> [...]

I wouldn't expect anything Optimum-specific, but, at that speed, if
QoS is ensbled, then you might want to disable it.

> [...] my new Motorola - 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem [...]

Have you looked at the connection statistics/logs on the modem?  Or
connected a client device directly to the modem, instead of the router?
Blame assignment is Job One.

Message 2 of 5
IHateOptimum
Aspirant

1.  Firmware version: V1.0.11.106_10.2.100

2. I disabled QoS and my speed reduced.

3. "Have you looked at the connection statistics/logs on the modem?  Or connected a client device directly to the modem, instead of the router?" Regarding the stats/logs, I have not idea how to find them. WIth regard to connecting a computer to the modem, I have not and here's why. Most of the time the outages happen very early in the morning, and so I wake up to find the router down. But Optonaline's system is back up. Hooking a computer to a modem at that point won't help me. There are also other times when there's distruption on the line, a hit so to speak, and that's enough to knock the router off the Intenet as well.

Message 3 of 5
IHateOptimum
Aspirant

To make things even weirder...

Here's a screenshot of my router which shows that I have no Intenet. Except, I do. Otherwise how am I currently connecting to this board? There is no other source of connection for me except the router and yes, I've double checked that.

Message 4 of 5
rclgonzales
Aspirant

Hello,

Is there any update to this? I am also having the same issue.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E