Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 and bandwidth control

omoeller
Guide

R7000 and bandwidth control

I am using my R7000 behind a DSL modem as LAN and WiFi router and since a couple of weeks I am recognising an odd behaviour - when one of the other clients connected to the R7000 is starting a download, all other connected clients lose network access - e.g. company connection via VPN, Lync. etc.

This is surely very disruptive when trying to work in home office scenario - just wondering what options I have to manage bandwidth consumption. Is the only way via QoS or is there other options? Already did multiple resets, tried different FW and am now back to the latest stock FW.

Any suggestions are more than welcome - Thanks!

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On an asymmetrical link, where the upload rate is a fraction of the download rate it’s possible to choke the network with upload data. So for example with a large TCP download where packets are acknowledged by the receiving computer then there can be a corresponding high upload of data, and if the upload rate limit is significantly lower that the download rate limit then the Internet connection can grind to a halt. The first few paragraphs of this .pdf might explain better than I can; http://www.sigcomm.org/sites/default/files/ccr/papers/2012/January/2096149-2096158.pdf

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your DSL modem also a modem/router combo, and if so is it set to Bridged Mode? Can you say what kind of download causes the issue or is it any type of download?
Message 2 of 10
omoeller
Guide

I am using a AVM Fritzbox 7390 as DSL Modem - this is as modem/router combo and I need to check if it is set to Bridge mode - With regards to the type of download I think it does not really matter - I experienced this in all file download scenarios as well as streaming.

Message 3 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you continue to have issues and you find that your modem is not in Bridged Mode, you might want to consider setting the R7000 to AP mode and leave the modem as currently set. Even if you don’t intend to continue in that setup, it might help in diagnosing the issue.
Message 4 of 10
omoeller
Guide

Thanks - just to confirm: if I enable AP mode do I have to change the WAN config? Checking as I connect with a static IP from the R7000 to the upstream DSL modem.

Message 5 of 10
omoeller
Guide

Never mind - I tested the AP config and I also ensured modem is running in bridged mode. It did not solve the problem. I'll continue to test and maybe I am lucky ...

Message 6 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I assume you tried the R7000 in AP mode while the modem was in router mode?

It’s a bit odd that one client can eat up all the available bandwidth? Can you tell me what rat the client machine is downloading at when the problem occurs please, and what rate you ISP connection provides for both upload and download?

Message 7 of 10
omoeller
Guide

Yes - I did use AP mode while modem was in router mode

I have a suspicion - all wired clients now run on Gigabit LAN up to Modem - my DSL bandwidth is max. 16Mbit - as a result maybe 1 client can eat up all available bandwidth. During a regular download (e.g. 700MB ISO image file) I saw the client eating up full bandwidth on the modem. The odd this is after taking LAN down to max. 100Mbit instead of GigaBit all looks to be ok again again.

Message 8 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On an asymmetrical link, where the upload rate is a fraction of the download rate it’s possible to choke the network with upload data. So for example with a large TCP download where packets are acknowledged by the receiving computer then there can be a corresponding high upload of data, and if the upload rate limit is significantly lower that the download rate limit then the Internet connection can grind to a halt. The first few paragraphs of this .pdf might explain better than I can; http://www.sigcomm.org/sites/default/files/ccr/papers/2012/January/2096149-2096158.pdf
Message 9 of 10
omoeller
Guide

Thanks - that might perfectly explain the problem - I have download 16MBit, upload 1.5 MBit - I'll check out the documentation you provided as well. It sounds by throtteling the general bandwidth to 100MBit in the local LAN I can somewhat mitigate the problem for now until I are able to upgrade to more outbound bandwidth.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7