Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 appears to be a bottle neck. The internet speeds are fast, but with 20 2.4 & 6 on 5g!res

Poppiesanta
Aspirant

R7000 appears to be a bottle neck. The internet speeds are fast, but with 20 2.4 & 6 on 5g!res

R7000 appears to be a bottle neck. The internet speeds are fast, but with 20 2.4 & 6 on 5g, the user response experience is slow. I don’t have metrics but busy times, Facebook vids are slow to load or don’t. Half that load, FB has no delays. 

I know that the router will connect 32+32 devices, I believe the thruput is maxed out. My question is how do I increase thruput?  Another R7000 Hardwire or a higher capacity router?

cheers

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 appears to be a bottle neck. The internet speeds are fast, but with 20 2.4 & 6 on 5g!

@Poppiesanta, well this all sort of makes sense now Larry.

First, Smart Connect might not be needed. That however isn't probably the problem. "Smart Connect" is supposed to 'sense' the speed (802.11 speed rating, N, G, AC, etc.) and assign the faster devices to the 5Ghz band which is generally faster. Doesn't always do a good job, and you usually are better off manually assigning devices to each band based on the capability of the device. In some instances putting a slow device on a faster band will slow that band down.

Traffic Meter can slow you down too, don't use it unless you really have a need for it. However, with only 10Mbps coming in QoS can help, but it would only help the 'streaming' and probably 'gamer players' at the detriment to other users.

I do sort of question your speed tests? You said "ISP = Xplorernet in Ontario. Subscribed to 10" but on the screenshot posted on 5/24 @ 3:10PM you got 36Mbps? Doubt it and that makes me wonder about the other tests?

This part could be part of the problem, "this router is shared by families is a Trailer Resort.". So you really don't know at any given time how many devices are really connected, nor what they are doing? Netflix for example can use 2Mbps even of the signal.

So the next question is the firmware. You said "Firmware 1.0.9.64. The last upgrade was 2 weeks ago". That f/w is problematic, and many many people have problems. Did this all work before that was updated to it? If so, go back to V1.0.9.42.

However, 10Mbps in could be the base problem here, NOT the router. Try turning off Traffic Meter first. See if that improves. Next enable QoS and do the speed test on that page. See it that improves. Still a problem, go back to the older firmware and see if that improves. If not, I'd think your problem would the incoming ISP isn't as fast as you need? I could be wrong if it worked fine before though?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies

Re: R7000 appears to be a bottle neck. The internet speeds are fast, but with 20 2.4 & 6 on 5g!

Hi,

There are many details missing from your post.

"Internet speed is fast"

What's fast to you?

What's in front of the R7000?  Who's the ISP and what speeds are you subscribing to?

Are you using QoS, SMART Connect, Traffic Meter, etc?

What about FW, what version are you runnning.  Has it been upgrade, if so, how was that update performed?

Message 2 of 10
IrvSp
Master

In addition to @shadowsports questions, have you run a SPEED TEST on any device to see what the speeds are?

Have you tried OTHER Browsers? Have you tried Firefox in SAFE MODE? Some add-ons can really slow things down, and some on certain sites only?

Do you have SMART CONNECT on?

What devices are on the 2.4Ghz band (Attached devices would show that)? Are ALL the same rated speeds (N, G, etc.)? Speed drops to the slowest device attached.

Are you having the problem on BOTH SSID bands or only one?

Have you tried changing SSID channels, you might be on a crowded one or one that has interference?

Message 3 of 10
Poppiesanta
Aspirant

Thanks for your assistance 

Firmware 1.0.9.64. The last upgrade was 2 weeks ago

Smart Connect on 

Traffic Metter On

ISP = Xplorernet in Ontario. Subscribed to 10

speed chart attached

this router is shared by families is a Trailer Resort. The busy times are weekends. The devices vary between iPhone iPad. Android Laptops 1 HP printer 1 alexa & 1 google home

Larry

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 4 of 10
Poppiesanta
Aspirant

Thanks for your assistance 

I expected the speed test on the router to be most accurate. My laptop doesn’t have an ethernet port. 

The slow response is seen across a variery of devices. Because on the environment (See Below) would I have to visit all devices, I attacked a list of 

Firmware 1.0.9.64. The last upgrade was 2 weeks ago

Smart Connect on 

Traffic Metter On

ISP = Xplorernet in Ontario. Subscribed to 10

speed varies between 32 to 4. 

this router is shared by families is a Trailer Resort. The busy times are weekends. The devices vary between iPhone iPad. Android Laptops 1 HP printer 1 alexa & 1 google home

Larry

Message 5 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@Poppiesanta, well this all sort of makes sense now Larry.

First, Smart Connect might not be needed. That however isn't probably the problem. "Smart Connect" is supposed to 'sense' the speed (802.11 speed rating, N, G, AC, etc.) and assign the faster devices to the 5Ghz band which is generally faster. Doesn't always do a good job, and you usually are better off manually assigning devices to each band based on the capability of the device. In some instances putting a slow device on a faster band will slow that band down.

Traffic Meter can slow you down too, don't use it unless you really have a need for it. However, with only 10Mbps coming in QoS can help, but it would only help the 'streaming' and probably 'gamer players' at the detriment to other users.

I do sort of question your speed tests? You said "ISP = Xplorernet in Ontario. Subscribed to 10" but on the screenshot posted on 5/24 @ 3:10PM you got 36Mbps? Doubt it and that makes me wonder about the other tests?

This part could be part of the problem, "this router is shared by families is a Trailer Resort.". So you really don't know at any given time how many devices are really connected, nor what they are doing? Netflix for example can use 2Mbps even of the signal.

So the next question is the firmware. You said "Firmware 1.0.9.64. The last upgrade was 2 weeks ago". That f/w is problematic, and many many people have problems. Did this all work before that was updated to it? If so, go back to V1.0.9.42.

However, 10Mbps in could be the base problem here, NOT the router. Try turning off Traffic Meter first. See if that improves. Next enable QoS and do the speed test on that page. See it that improves. Still a problem, go back to the older firmware and see if that improves. If not, I'd think your problem would the incoming ISP isn't as fast as you need? I could be wrong if it worked fine before though?

Message 6 of 10
Poppiesanta
Aspirant

Thanks again

I killed the Traffic Meter and now have internet speeds back at 30+.   I received the bill this AM and validated that I have 25 service.  Netgear should add an info statement the Traffic Meter that it can impact service. 

All Most users want are email and social media in the middle of cottage county,   We have a voluntary agreement that restricts streaming of than FB and most of are old farts so there is no gaming. 

Thanks again 

Message 7 of 10
myersw
Master

Us old farts, 83 in my case, love to stream though. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
Poppiesanta
Aspirant

So do I but this is Canadian summer, we are outside! 😎

Message 9 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@Poppiesanta wrote:

I killed the Traffic Meter and now have internet speeds back at 30+.   I received the bill this AM and validated that I have 25 service.  Netgear should add an info statement the Traffic Meter that it can impact service. 

Some of this is common sense. Anything that will make the CPU do more work, such as Traffic Meter, QoS, and other features 'may' impact to performance of the CPU and router. QoS can really slow down faster speed connection as it isn't needed, but if you have a 'slow' connection it CAN help the device with a problem that does need Internet priority. Traffic Meter, of course, it first has to READ the TCP/IP packets which it would normally do to send it off to the proper LAN device, but now it needs more data to be kept and to figure out the SIZE that the device's IP Address is getting as well. Also to 'measure' it against limits if set.

It is a setting that if you need it, you need it...

Google this, "does traffic meter on my router slow me down?", you are not the first to find this out 🙂 and some reported that it didn't slow it down in older f/w? I don't know for sure, never use it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7