Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 as a secondary router

pneumoman
Aspirant

R7000 as a secondary router

My ISP supplied me with a new Access Point that has a built in router/wireless access point.  This newer router is a little bit faster, but not as fully featured, does not have a things like USB support.  So I've hooked up my R7000 with wireless off and DHCP off. It seems that it is working fine for things on it's downstream side, but the USB support seems to have stopped working and there also doesn't seem to be a way for the systems that are before it it to have access to things on the other side of the R7000.  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000 as a secondary router

Message 2 of 5

@pneumoman wrote:

My ISP supplied me with a new Access Point that has a built in router/wireless access point.

Make and model?

So I've hooked up my R7000 with wireless off and DHCP off.

Depending on the answer to the first question, you might like to put the R7000 in to AP mode.

Thoughts?

Tell us what you want to achieve and someone might have other thoughts.

The main options are to put this unnamed "new Access Point", which may or may not be an access point as most people understand it – modem/router is more likely – into bridge (modem only) mode, or to use the R7000 as a genuine access point.

Message 3 of 5
pneumoman
Aspirant

Yup AP Mode is the answer. After maximum futzing that's working on at least one device.  I didn't think of that since AP mode seems (to me) to imply wireless.

Message 4 of 5

@pneumoman wrote:

I didn't think of that since AP mode seems (to me) to imply wireless.

Yes. The label is misleading.

It really means "wired".

But hopeless descriptions are par for the course. Truly wireless – connecting a router and another router over wifi – is "bridge mode". But there are other "bridge modes" that are completely different. Nuts.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7