Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 as repeater with R7000p

mohammad_haq
Aspirant

R7000 as repeater with R7000p

I Have a R7000 router. I recently bought another R7000P. Is it possible to use the R7000 as a repeator without any LAN calble? If it must need LAN cable do I get any benifit using a short cable and keeping them not too far from each other? 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: R7000 as repeater with R7000p

Repeater is not an option in the stock firmware of the R7000. You also don't want repeaters since they cut throughput in half due to the constant need to be in contact back and forth with the main router. As for AP, the length of the cable doesn't matter. Using a short cable will give you no benefit. If you need to cover a large area, just pull a long cable

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Repeater is not an option in the stock firmware of the R7000. You also don't want repeaters since they cut throughput in half due to the constant need to be in contact back and forth with the main router. As for AP, the length of the cable doesn't matter. Using a short cable will give you no benefit. If you need to cover a large area, just pull a long cable

Message 2 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] Is it possible to use the R7000 as a repeator without any LAN
> calble? [...]

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Set Up a
Wireless Distribution System".

> [...] do I get any benifit using a short cable and keeping them not
> too far from each other?

I don't know what the benefit of such a configuration would be.

Message 3 of 5
mohammad_haq
Aspirant

Thanks. I took the r7000p back to Umart and they took it back charging me 10% since I opened the box :(. I will look for alternatives.
Message 4 of 5

@microchip8 wrote:

As for AP, the length of the cable doesn't matter. Using a short cable will give you no benefit. If you need to cover a large area, just pull a long cable

Absolutely ... and if you don't want to run a long cable, I have found that it works well to use Powerline Ethernet to connect an AP to a router.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Not the cheapest option, but you won't get complaints from the family about running wires all over the place. And you can put the "remote" plug wherever you like in the house.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7