Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000 best of the worst

I recently upgraded from R6300v2, mainly because I wanted to have more frequent updates. It's more of an addiction with updates then need since R6300v2 performed fine. Although, it wasn't without issues.

I've tried all other top of the line brands from Dlink, Asus and Linksys and there is no such thing as "the best router", you just pick whatever works best for you and deal with it. It's funny to read people complaining of leaving for another brand because the reality it's all the same on the other side. You can pretty much read the same issues on Asus RT-68U on their forum:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=11&model=RT-AC68U&SLanguage=en-us
R7000 (present)

Dlink DIR-868L (2 weeks)

Asus RT-AC68U (5 days)

Linksys EA6900 (7 days)

R6300v2 (7 month)

R6300v1 (1 year)

RT-N56U (1 year)

WNDR3700 (1 year)

Dlink DIR-655 (1 year)
Message 1 of 24
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R7000 best of the worst

Agreed. Gotta pick the best of the 2 evils Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 24
Highlighted
Novice

Yeah like I said I bought the R7000 and the Asus ac68U and used them both for a month.

Many things on the the R7000 worked better than the Asus for me so I kept the R7000.

People are too quick to jump on the other side or say "so and so router is better". You can clearly see that all of them have problems.

I chose the R7000 because it's a better router in my opinion.
Message 3 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

I initially purchased the Asus Ac68 and had many problems with it. First my port forwarding was not working with my Synology harddrive. Secondly my living room dropcam kept disconnecting. I did the typical tech support route with no luck. This was disappointing because I was coming from the Asus ac66 that I didn't have many problems with.

I returned my Asus ac68 but had already sold my old router. That is what bought me to Netgear R7000. Port forwarding worked and my dropcams stay connected. Any issues I had were corrected with the most recent Beta that I installed last week.
Message 4 of 24
Highlighted
Master

Hi, First of all, I am not Chinese but I remember an old Chinese saying, "Poor craft man always blames his tools" Not only a router, in our lives we pick and choose many things even our spouses. I have R7000 and it does what I need to do. If it doesn't, by all means I'll make it do even messing around with f/w. I observe some are trying to deal with some thing over their head and easiest thing to do is to complain it does not work for them. Nothing in the world works 100%, even space shuttles.
Message 5 of 24
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If I didn't recognize some the posters in this thread, I would think Netgear went out and hired a cheerleading squad. I'll be waiting under the bleachers. LOL
Message 6 of 24
Highlighted
Novice

Don't worry it's just us posting our success stories Smiley Tongue.

I have no problems cheering for a product that works for me.

Since most of the post on this forum are coming from people with R7000 problems. It's nice to see posts from people who are satisfied with their router for a change.
Message 7 of 24
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

All things equal I agree with you. The problem is not all users expect the same results and also depending on what you upgraded from makes a big difference in expectations. In my case it didn't preform as well as the one it replaced.

I do hope they figure it out without having to introduce a V2 which won't sit well. That said I will be buying a Linksys when it comes out 2nd Q, not because of the r7000 entirely but that along with some other problems they refuse to address which I summited numerous IR's on.
Message 8 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had the Asus AC66U prior to the R7000(and a Netgear WNDR3700 prior to the Asus) and while I liked the Asus AC66U, it would never properly do an IP release/renew, when my ISP would change my IP address. This drove me nuts. I'd always be left offline when my IP changed and I'd have to manually circumvent the router and manually do an IP release/renew in a cmd window and then put the router back into play(I'm not the only one with this issue either). I tried Asus, Merlin and DD-WRT firmwares and they all did the same thing. There was something with that router that my ISP did not like with regards to IP release/renew.

I never had that issue with my prior Netgear WNDR3700 and so far so good now with the Netgear R7000. It handles IP changes just fine with my ISP.
Message 9 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was debating hard between the two models too, but the final factor that made me chose the R7000 is the supports in this forum. In the Asus forum, it seems like the problem reporters are crying in an empty room. Nobody seem to care or shares his empathy. So....if I have to buy a problematic router, I gotta choose one where there more listeners to my issues....Smiley Tongue
Message 10 of 24
Highlighted
Novice

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com has specific forums for ASUS support and they release beta firmware there along with RMerlin who provides his modified ASUS firmware. Netgear needs a RMerlin to provide modified Netgear firmware and atleast some problems will be solved.
Message 11 of 24
Highlighted
Novice

searay,

Since dd-wrt does not have any issues with wireless degradation I believe there is no hardware issue. Been running dd-wrt for 2 weeks now. Wireless works well, no QOS issues.

I'm sure once netgear completed tests they will come up with a build that fixes the current issues.

I'm going to stick with dd-wrt though.
Message 12 of 24
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Chuck_IV wrote:

I never had that issue with my prior Netgear WNDR3700 and so far so good now with the Netgear R7000. It handles IP changes just fine with my ISP.

Have you tried it using IPV6 my r7000, 4700 and R6300v2 would not pull a new IPV4 and release renew would not work either. No IPV6 either. Without a modem reboot or removing WAN cable for a second.
Message 13 of 24
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My understanding of dd-wrt is limited very limited! I've heard it may be more stable due to it not utilizing the full capacity or speed that made it on paper anyway the ultimate WIFI router. It does appear this along with their other dual core router has a problem weather it's a resource, FW or hardware problem is still an open question.
Message 14 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

searay wrote:
Have you tried it using IPV6 my r7000, 4700 and R6300v2 would not pull a new IPV4 and release renew would not work either. No IPV6 either. Without a modem reboot or removing WAN cable for a second.

That is one thing that is lacking on the R7000. Good IPV6 support. I was able to run IPV6 on my Asus(although it was Merlin's build) perfectly(6to4 tunnel) with Charter. I'd get 10/10 on the test sites.

However, with the R7000, IPV6 support is lacking, especially for 6to4 tunnel. It doesn't allow for some of the manual settings that the Asus/Merlin's firmware had, that are needed to make it work right with Charter. Using the "auto" settings, the best I can do is 7/10 on the test sites, so I don't even bother running it at this point.
Message 15 of 24
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Chuck_IV wrote:

However, with the R7000, IPV6 support is lacking, especially for 6to4 tunnel. It doesn't allow for some of the manual settings that the Asus/Merlin's firmware had, that are needed to make it work right with Charter. Using the "auto" settings, the best I can do is 7/10 on the test sites, so I don't even bother running it at this point.

The .164 firmware works well with Comcast IPv6 (DHCP-PD), as long as I don't power-cycle or reboot my router, anyways. Dd-wrt has been solid, but no IPv6 there, except for do-it-yourself. Good thing that IPv6 isn't required at this point *smile*.
Message 16 of 24
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

RogerSC wrote:
The .164 firmware works well with Comcast IPv6 (DHCP-PD), as long as I don't power-cycle or reboot my router, anyways. Dd-wrt has been solid, but no IPv6 there, except for do-it-yourself. Good thing that IPv6 isn't required at this point *smile*.

That's my point you cannot PS or Reboot when IPV6 is enable and pull a public IP from the Modem. This was brought to their attention BY ME when testing the 4700, & R6300v2 and again 3 weeks ago when testing the beta. This is nothing new, it's been a problem since the 4700.
Message 17 of 24
Highlighted
Novice

RogerSC wrote:

Except it doesn't work well for anything else... Linksys, ASUS and even D-Link supports ip6v6rd and 6in4 which is something missing on the Netgear.
Message 18 of 24
Highlighted
Virtuoso

searay wrote:
That's my point you cannot PS or Reboot when IPV6 is enable and pull a public IP from the Modem. This was brought to their attention BY ME when testing the 4700, & R6300v2 and again 3 weeks ago when testing the beta. This is nothing new, it's been a problem since the 4700.

I wasn't claiming any credit for discovering anything, but feel free to clarify and claim your credit, you clearly suffered with this and reported it before anyone else, and have repeatedly experienced this and reported it, and deserve your credit for your suffering and reporting. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I had discovered anything, nor trod on your ground, just experienced it, I don't need or want any credit. Besides, I only write in normal fonts and black color, so whatever you're saying must be very true, and must be very important.

Thanks again, sorry for whatever I said.
Message 19 of 24
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Roger, You said nothing wrong! My red font was not meant to slam you SORRY! It was meant to stand out.

It's just one example of how NETGEAR responds to problems. Comcast is a major ISP and you would think Netgear would address a problem while in the testing cycle. I made them aware of it during 3 testing cycles.

Had they corrected it with 4700 & r6300v2 we wouldn't even be talking about it here almost 3 years after they were made aware of the problem.
Message 20 of 24
Highlighted
Novice

searay wrote:
My red font was not meant to slam you SORRY! It was meant to stand out.

it is more annoying than anything, all red all caps-lock size, really ?

Too bad we cant press an "Ignore" button...
Message 21 of 24
Highlighted
Star

Sometimes, I'm reminded of this when seeing text in different colors or all caps.

Message 22 of 24
Highlighted
Luminary

stevnim wrote:
Sometimes, I'm reminded of this when seeing text in different colors or all caps.

Agreed

LOL Smiley Very Happy
Message 23 of 24
Highlighted
Virtuoso

searay wrote:
Roger, You said nothing wrong! My red font was not meant to slam you SORRY! It was meant to stand out.

It's just one example of how NETGEAR responds to problems. Comcast is a major ISP and you would think Netgear would address a problem while in the testing cycle. I made them aware of it during 3 testing cycles.

Thanks for clarifying, I really appreciate it.

I also reported this to Netgear immediately when I experienced it, and they have been asking me for debug information over the last 3 months or so. Even so, each release, including the betas I've looked at, continues to have the same problem. I'm guessing that where ever they're doing their testing, Comcast is not a major ISP *smile*. Their actions tell me that they are not able to reproduce this in their labs.

This alone is enough of a pain for me that I'm currently using dd-wrt, which is performing very well at the moment, and I'm very happy with it. IPv6 is up in the air for me, not critical at the moment. I know that the router is capable of it, should I require it, and I can go through the involved process of adding it to dd-wrt if I need to.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements