R7000 blocking some sites for some devices while authenticating over modem in bridge mode

ta11est
Initiate

R7000 blocking some sites for some devices while authenticating over modem in bridge mode

My setup is as follows, with current firmware on all hardware, all of which has been factory reset and changed only to test the configurations that are described below:

• Centurylink service with 40Mbps bonded VDSL (2 x 20 Mbps)
  • Zyxel c3000z modem
  • R7000 (with internet port connected to c3000z's WAN port)

When the c3000z is placed in "transparent bridge" mode (with VLAN ID 201 set on the modem) and the R7000 authenticates via PPPoE, my network functions but I have the folowing problems on my WiFi devices:

• On my Pixel XL (Adroid phone; fully up-to-date) the following apps do not seem to be able to access their servers over the R7000's Wifi: Netflix, Nextdoor (a social-media site), and Wemo (an app for smarthome devices). Everything else that I've tried seems to work fine (Web, Email, Facebook, etc.). Of note, all of these services work fine on my laptop (2013 Macbook Pro) over WiFi and they work fine on my phone when I disable WiFi. I've cleared the data for Netflix, uninstalled it, and reinstalled it to no avail. 
  • My Google Home Mini cannot control my Nest thermostat or my Wemo devices. 

When the c3000z is left in its default state and the R7000 is not configured to authenticate, everything above works fine over the R7000's WiFi. 

I was running with the modem in bridge mode for a while without issue. This is a recent development. 

Of note, one of my land lines appears to be having trouble. The modem constantly flashes its DSL 1 light, so my bonded modem isn't really bonded right now. This is the case whether I'm in bridged mode or not. I've got a technician coming on Friday to check out the line. Could the issues I'm having have to do with one of the lines being down? Might the modem be handling that situation differently in bridged mode?

Thanks!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
antinode
Guru

Re: R7000 blocking some sites for some devices while authenticating over modem in bridge mode

>     R7000 (with internet port connected to c3000z's WAN port)

R7000 WAN/Internet port to C3000Z _LAN_ port?

> When the c3000z is placed in "transparent bridge" mode [...]

Why are you adding the R7000 to your network?  If the goal is better
wireless coverage, then you might consider leaving the C3000Z as a
modem+router, and configuring the R7000 as a wireless access point

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "Use the Router as a
Wireless Access Point".

> [...] Could the issues I'm having have to do with one of the lines
> being down? [...]

I don't know.  Do the problems persist with the C3000Z in
modem+router mode?

Message 2 of 3
ta11est
Initiate

Re: R7000 blocking some sites for some devices while authenticating over modem in bridge mode

The problem does not persist when the c3000z is handling everything (modem and router), just as it doesn't when the R7000 is simply providing WiFi. 

If fixing the line does not resolve the issue, I will resort to either using the c3000z alone or, if my coverage isn't great, using the R7000 as you suggested. (Either way, I'll report back here.) I prefer bridge mode for its simplicity (and the R7000's better range and capacity). There's only one device to configure. 

The symptoms were so strange that I thought i'd post here to see if anyone could provide an explanation. Even if I don't get a satisfactory aswer, hopefully this post provides some search results for others who might have similar issues. Thanks. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E