Re: R7000 bricked after setting it up as a repeater/extender

nick_the_geek
Aspirant

R7000 bricked after setting it up as a repeater/extender

hey everyone,

I was setting up my R7000 Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 as a reapeater-extender, and it got bricked after the restart. called the netgear support and resetting it with all their help didn't work. Next thing i did was purchasing TTL COM (TTL 232R 3V3) USB adapter and connected to the routers com port and using PUTTY tried to stop the process of constant LOOP (Ctrl C) load and PUT the firmware using the TFTP command while the PING gives a TTL=100 responce. I get up to 4 TTL=100 after about 8-9 seconds when I switch on the router. The message I get is Connect Request Failed and I'm stuck at this point. Read the community comments on how to debrick the R7000 and followed each and every step from here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/SOLVED-Steps-for-debrick-unresponsive-R7000-...

And still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thought would be better to start a new discussion since i see that people get the routers bricked mostly due to failed or interrupted firmware update, but in my case it got bricked after setting it up as a wifi extender / repeater

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Not much you can do if you can not recover the unit via factory reset or TFTP you may need to contact support again and if the unit is still under warranty ask for an RMA.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
GamerNinja
Initiate

@nick_the_geek wrote:

I get up to 4 TTL=100 after about 8-9 seconds when I switch on the router.

I have always had luck switching the power on first, waiting for TTL to reach 100, and then submitting the command. I usually have two command line (cmd) windows open, one to submit the ping command, and the other to submit the tftp command. I make sure I have the correct command window clicked, so when the TTL gets to 100, I instantly submit the tftp command. Let it go as long as it wants until the power light stops blinking.

You are getting a ping, so my guess is your sequence or timing bring off is the culprit.

Message 3 of 5

@nick_the_geek wrote:

Thought would be better to start a new discussion since i see that people get the routers bricked mostly due to failed or interrupted firmware update, but in my case it got bricked after setting it up as a wifi extender / repeater

That's an odd one. Never seen that before.

What does the power LED look like now?

Have to tried the recovery reset?

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 5
nick_the_geek
Aspirant

The power LED looks solid orange for a minute, untill the router restarts, its in a reboot loop. I've tried the 30-30-30 reset and had no luck. using the ttl and putty I could see that the device is looking for a "nflash0.os" file.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements