Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 bricked, serial won't recover it

DLMSU
Aspirant

R7000 bricked, serial won't recover it

So I had a working R7000 that was several firmwares old, tried to use the web portal to update to the newest 1.0.9.12.

Router went to restart, bricked.  Every 30 seconds or so the router restarts.  Tried the TFTP method at boot, it wouldn't take.  So I bought a USB TTL cable, and opened it up.  Was able to get new firmware flashed.  Tried reflashing same firmware.  Bricked.  Flashed a few versions older.  Bricked.  Flashed one of the first firmware releases.  Still bricked.

Tried holding the factory reset after each flash on a bootup, just in case.

Any Idea on what to do next?  I really wanted to try the Circle stuff, and was going to move this router to be my main router for a while, since I have small children and it is about that time.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

Re: R7000 bricked, serial won't recover it

If you can gain access to the routers main board you may be able to run a nvram clear command and reflash the router's firmware, if that will not happy the router may have a hardware issue.

What the cause the router to be bricked in the first place?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
William10a
Master

If you can gain access to the routers main board you may be able to run a nvram clear command and reflash the router's firmware, if that will not happy the router may have a hardware issue.

What the cause the router to be bricked in the first place?

Message 2 of 6
DLMSU
Aspirant

Tried to firmware update it via the GUI. No shenanigans. Somehow it just corrupted itself.
Message 3 of 6
William10a
Master

Have you a terminal program to view the processes of the booting process.

Message 4 of 6
DLMSU
Aspirant

Yeah. Stopping the boot and forcing firmware over tftp. I’ll try the nvram clear when I’m sitting in front of it again.
Message 5 of 6
DLMSU
Aspirant

Thanks so much.  Clearing the nvram and then reflashing it fixed it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7