Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 bridge to Fios G1100 - not working

Smitty70
Tutor

R7000 bridge to Fios G1100 - not working

I'm trying to set up my R7000 in an upstairs room as a bridge to connect wireless to my FIOS G1100 router downstairs.  I've spent the last couple of days following suggestions and FAQs, but it's not working for me.  I've factory reset my router several times now trying to get it to work.

Here's what I'm doing consistently:

Capture01.JPG

ADVANCED tab:

Capture02.JPG

Select ADVANCED > BRIDGE > BRIDGE MODE

Capture03.JPG

Click the purple "setup brigde mode wireless settings" and enter FIOS information for 5G radio

Capture04.JPG

After the R7000 reboots, I'm no longer able to see it (unless I manually set the IP before setting bridge mode so I know what it is).

The FIOS router config screen does not show the R7000 connected under "My Network".  

Capture05.JPG

Should this work based on what I'm doing, or is there something else I need to do?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Smitty70
Tutor

I was able to get this working.  I'm not sure what exactly resolved the issue (slap on the wrist for changing more than one thing).

1) Upgraded to newest firmware and reset.

2) Connected laptop to NetGear via WiFi and moved to close proximity of FIOS router.  Made configuration changes with the laptop.

3) Used 2.4 GHz instead of 5.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

AFter the R7000 reboot and the FIOS router shows it connected it should be connected. However the IP address may change. Look at the connected client table on the FIOS router to see if the R7000 appears here and it's IP address it's been assigned. 

Besure your entering in the SSID name and PW correctly into the R7000 bridge settings before saving. 

You might try this, temporarily disable WPA/2 on the FIOS router. Go OPEN for a few. Go back and reset the R7000 router and reconfigure it for the SSID name only. See if the R7000 gets connected with no security. If it does, then set WPA2 back again on the FIOS router then reset the R7000 and re-cofigure for SSID name and PW. 

Is the SSID name and PW complex? Try a simple SSID name and PW to begin with. 

Message 2 of 11
Smitty70
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. I have been very careful about the SSID/PWD. I’ve done it several times.

The IP definitely changes, but I’m not sure to what. It’s not connecting to the FIOS router to get a new one. I’ve read that it might go to 10.0.0.1?

If you look at the 4th screenshot, I mention that I don’t see the device connected.

The encryption is worth a try.
Message 3 of 11

If you look at the 4th screenshot, I mention that I don’t see the device connected.

These screenshots will not become visible until they are approved by the Netgear moderators. They are not there now, so we are guessing what they show.

As "bridge" could mean one of several things, I assume that you are trying to use the R7000 as a wifi repeater, with a wireless connection back to the router.

In other words, you are looking to do what the manual says in the section: "Set Up a Wireless Distribution System". (See page 140.)

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 4 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi Smitty70,

Update the firmware to the latest.

Reset and reconfigure the bridge mode.

Message 5 of 11
Smitty70
Tutor

Thanks - That is part of all my attempts (apply firmware after resetting).

It sounds like there’s nothing I’m really missing - it’s just not working.
Message 6 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi Smitty70,

1. Reset the router after the firmware update.

2. Will R7000 connects to the 2.4GHz network?

Message 7 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi Smitty70,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 8 of 11
Smitty70
Tutor

I was able to get this working.  I'm not sure what exactly resolved the issue (slap on the wrist for changing more than one thing).

1) Upgraded to newest firmware and reset.

2) Connected laptop to NetGear via WiFi and moved to close proximity of FIOS router.  Made configuration changes with the laptop.

Message 9 of 11

@Smitty70 wrote:

Slower speed but longer range.

Message 10 of 11
Smitty70
Tutor

Speed test is around 100 Mbps - huge improvement.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7