Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 can't downgrade / upgrade firmware

teku
Initiate

R7000 can't downgrade / upgrade firmware

I've recently purchased a new R7000 which came with firmware V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 installed. When trying to update my router with any .chk file ( previous minor for example ), through the web interface, it fails with the following error.  

The firmware is not compatiable with your router. Error code -1.

I've tried this with multiple previous versions of the official R7000 firmware. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the firmware version for the router ? What does this error signify ? 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
rwrjr
Aspirant

Re: R7000 can't downgrade / upgrade firmware

I have a new R8000 and was getting the same error message when trying to flash other non-Netgear firmware.  It seems that Netgear has put in some protection to keep people from downgrading to older firmware.  The first chunk of the fireware file contains a header with the version number.  When flashing, the version of the file you're trying to flash is compared with what is already running on the router.  If the version number is lower than what is running you get the errror.

There are work arounds but you need to search the forums of the various open source firmware groups and be comfortable either using a serial cable hooked to the system board, or building a custom version of the firmware. It's easy to brick your router if you're wrong.  Happy hunting.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

Greetings,

Very surprised you were able to purchase a brand new R7000 with FW released at the end of Jan. 2019. v1.0.9.64

Suppose anythng is possible. 

You should be able to downgrade this  FW.

Since you are having the same problem with multiple FW versions, I would try the following:

Use the "Erase" function and reset to defaults.  After the router restarts, try manually flashing again from a PC connected directly via ethernet. 

If this fails, I would return the router for exchange (since its brand new) 

You can also contact Netgear (if you like), but even if they deem the router as defective, you will get a refurb.

Just exchange it with the retailer and move on.

Message 2 of 6
antinode
Guru

If you really have an R7000, and you're really trying correctly to
load some proper R7000 ".chk" file, and the router rejects it, then I'd
guess that the firmware is corrupt, and can't distinguish good from bad.
I'd try the TFTP recovery scheme.  See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096

Complaints about the ".64" and ".60" versions seem to have been
pretty common.  Try ".42" (once you get anything to load)?

> [...] What does this error signify ?

I don't know.  "-1" is a pretty generic failure indication.

Does it actually say "compatiable", or was that your enhancement?

Message 3 of 6
rwrjr
Aspirant

I have a new R8000 and was getting the same error message when trying to flash other non-Netgear firmware.  It seems that Netgear has put in some protection to keep people from downgrading to older firmware.  The first chunk of the fireware file contains a header with the version number.  When flashing, the version of the file you're trying to flash is compared with what is already running on the router.  If the version number is lower than what is running you get the errror.

There are work arounds but you need to search the forums of the various open source firmware groups and be comfortable either using a serial cable hooked to the system board, or building a custom version of the firmware. It's easy to brick your router if you're wrong.  Happy hunting.

Message 4 of 6

What @rwrjr said did come to mind, but unless the router was purchased previously, upgraded and returned, I still find it unlikely you could get a new router with 1.0.9.64.  Again, it's possible.

What @antinode said is also a possibility, but getting this type of error from a brand new router would make me question its long term reliability in the first place.  So if it were me, I'd exchange it on principle.  If I couldn't fix it in 5 min, I'd grab another one.  Don't care why, don't need to know.  Just want a working product. 

Message 5 of 6
teku
Initiate

As I said, brand new router, purchased last week. 

The bootloader does seem to check the version number of the image is less than the current image, and rejects the image as @rwrjr mentioned.

For those who in have this problem, I was able to find a working customized image online

Following that, you can move to whichever version works best for you. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7