Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 capped at 100Mbps

EMF
Aspirant
Aspirant

R7000 capped at 100Mbps

I should be getting 400/40 from my ISP but am only getting 100/10. If I hardwire directly into my cable modem (Netgear CM500) I can get the 400/40. As soon as I go through the router (using the same cat 5e cable that let me get 400/40 from the modem), I drop down to 100/10 whether wired or wireless. From what I can tell in the settings, it looks like the router is set up for 600Mbps at 2.4Ghz and 1300Mbps at 5.0Ghz, and my NIC is set for 1Gbps. But something is obviously capping me at 100/10. I just can't find what it is. Any ideas? I'm also on the latest firmware. If the best suggestion is to factory reset, will that mean I have to go through the setup process on all of my connected devices in my house to get them back online? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

Possible the qos set up of the router is what the problem is.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
William10a
Master

Possible the qos set up of the router is what the problem is.

Message 2 of 5
EMF
Aspirant
Aspirant

So this is interesting. I had QoS turned on. I turned it completely off and it didn't change my speeds. However, within the QoS settings in Netgear Genie, there is a built in Ookla speedtest. Running that speedtest gets me 400/40. Yet when I run any other speedtest in my browser I get 100/10. I then saw under QoS there is a place to change Uplink Bandwidth. I increased it to 40Mbps, and now speedtests are around 30ish, which is close enough to my ISP settings under Wifi. So that makes me think there might be the same limitation somewhere for downloads, but I don't see that setting anywhere. Any ideas?

Message 3 of 5

Do you have the traffic meter turned on? Turning it off has also solved speed problems for some people.

Then there is the cable between modem and router.

Message 4 of 5
EMF
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not 100% sure what fixed it, but what I THINK I did was turn QoS off, click 'apply' (which says it reboots the router but maybe is just a soft reset?), but then manually reboot the router for it to really take effect. Until I manually told my router to reset, turning off QoS and clicking apply still didn't work. Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7