R7000 connecting to router with iPhone

JL60
Aspirant

R7000 connecting to router with iPhone

My wifi setting says I am connected to the router but during set up the app said router not found.  How do I connect my iPhone to the wifi?  What step did I miss?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 connecting to router with iPhone

@JL60 wrote:

My wifi setting says I am connected to the router but during set up the app said router not found.  How do I connect my iPhone to the wifi?  What step did I miss?

More info would be nice here?

What do you mean by "My wifi setting says I am connected to the router"? Do you mean on the iPhone you saw the R7000's SSID? You then provided the correct USERID and P/W? The phone can connect to the Internet, you can browse, run apps that access the Internet? Is this the case?

If the above is true, then what does " How do I connect my iPhone to the wifi?" mean?

Also, what does "during set up the app said router not found" mean?

Is this a NEW router that you want to set up wirelessly? If so, what app are you using? The NETGEAR app? The default address for the router will be 192.168.1.1, did you enter that into the app?

UserID and P/W default should be 'admin' and 'password' to get on the router should be entered in the app to access the router.

The default SSID will be on the bottom of the router, make sure you use that to connect.

Do you have a wired PC you can connect to the router to?

Message 2 of 6
JL60
Aspirant

Sorry I wasn't specific enough.  I was using the Nighthawk app to set up the R7000.  It is in the app that I was using to set up that says  router not found.  In my phone settings, it says I am connected to the router.  My wired lines are fine, but I have read that MANY iPhone users have trouble connecting to the wifi with this unit.  This was an initial set up that failed.  I will try going into the the netgear with your suggestion, but this set up should not be this difficult.

I am ready to take it back and try another brand of router.

Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

ALthough my R7000 is not being used now, I've never had problems with Apple devices. Over time we've had 4 iPad's and all connected without problems. We've had guests connect with iPhones and when our daughter and family come over their iPhones connect with no problems. All iPhones are of varying versions, and not one complained they couldn't connect.

There are 2 iOS apps, Genie an Nighthawk and there was one that was replaced, Netgear UP with the Nighthawk app. It is the Nighthawk app you can use for setup wirelessly. I have never used it for setup but do have it on the iPad. It finds my present router, an R8000, and then opens up.

If you are using Nighthawk, what screen shows? You can capture the screen and attach it in a reply from your camera roll. Does it have 3 bars on the top left under the connection icon? Select that and you can check the router settings with that, possible the IP Address is wrong?

Message 4 of 6
JL60
Aspirant

Thank you both for your input.  I was able to log on to our other wireless devises easliy with the 7000, BUT we still cannot wifi access with our iPhones.  I went on to the genie and finished  the install with a chromebook.  At this point, we don't know what to do.  We either hire someone to connect our iPhones or just get rid of the 7000 and go to a Linksus router.  

Message 5 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@JL60 wrote:

Thank you both for your input.  I was able to log on to our other wireless devises easliy with the 7000, BUT we still cannot wifi access with our iPhones.  I went on to the genie and finished  the install with a chromebook.  At this point, we don't know what to do.  We either hire someone to connect our iPhones or just get rid of the 7000 and go to a Linksus router.  

You're not giving me much to go on here? I need 'real info' to help you.

First, did those phones CONNECT to another router or modem/router before?

If they DID, are you using the SAME SSID on the R7000?

Are you using the SAME Security on the R7000?

Are you using the SAME UserID and Password for the SSID?

Is the IP Address of the router the same as the old router or modem/router?

Now the heart of the matter could very well be you didn't have a router before but your ISP's modem/router. If so, the modem/router MUST be bridged so you can use the Wireless on the R7000.

That would actually explain why the iPhones say they are connected yet can't see the router. They are STILL connected to the old setup on the modem. On the phone, open Settings and then select the Wi-Fi. On the right side the top one with the checkmark, select the 'i' in the circle. Check the Router IP Address. If it IS not 192.168.1.1 (which is the router default which you can verify with the wired connection to the router on the Advanced tab, and it is on the Router Information box after IP Address) but it could be different like 192.168.0.1 even. No matter what it is, if it doesn't match that IP Address, at the top of the page is Forget This Network. Next thing to do is call the ISP and have the modem BRIDGED... however, if you change the SSID for now it will accomplish the same thing, connect to the SSID you changed the router to for one of the 2 bands. That should fix it. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements