R7000 connects to TV, but no internet

mryan75
Aspirant

R7000 connects to TV, but no internet

Firmware1.0.9.18. 

Router connects to everything (iPad, iPhone, laptop) AND the TV. But while everything else has internet, the TV (Panasonic VT60) will connect to the router, but no internet. I've seen it connect briefly, but then disconnect. Both on the 2.4 and the 5 ghz. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: R7000 connects to TV, but no internet

wrote:

Firmware1.0.9.18. 

Router connects to everything (iPad, iPhone, laptop) AND the TV.

It is really the other way round. Everything connects to the router.

The difference is important because it tells you where to look for problems. The router just spits out wifi and it is down to the clients to play ball and connect.

People turn up here fairly often with a query like this.

Sadly, those "Smart" TVs are seriously dumb. You sometimes have to work hard to get them to play ball with your wifi. (That's why I use Powerline Ethernet for my Samsung Smart BluRay player.)

It seems that "Panasonic VT60" is a category of devices rather than a TV model. The wifi control is a part of the TV's setup process. You might have more luck asking around the Panasonic community. That may be able to tell you if you need to make any changes to your router's settings, like reserving an IP address for it.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 6

3 ) Alternatively connect the TV via Ethernet and go the VT60 Setup menu and check for updates.

That's what I do, using Powerline Ethernet. Easier to set up and more stable, as I found when playing around with wifi and a smart BluRay player and internet radio.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 6

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you were advocating a permanent LAN link. I just got so frustrated with wifi that I take every opportunity to advocate LAN and Powerline where the layout demands it.

Simply using LAN to check that a TV's firmware is up to date should demonstrate how easy it is to set up and manage a wired device.

Just another user.

Message 4 of 6
mryan75
Aspirant

wrote:

@mryan75,

Assuming the VT60 is a Panasonic Plasma 3D Smart TV? Try the following

1 ) Factory reset the VT60, this may fix it. However I would still check for new VT60 firmware.

2 ) Check to see if the VT60 is running the latest Panasonic firmware, just google "vt60 panasonic firmware" then select your region to get a firmware update.

3 ) Alternatively connect the TV via Ethernet and go the VT60 Setup menu and check for updates.

Yeah, it's the Panasonic Plasma. It connected for a while last night and we were able to watch Netflix, but it's back to not connecting this evening. I tried the factory reset, no dice. I'm going to try the TV firmware next. 

Message 5 of 6
mryan75
Aspirant

The funny thing is, I had it connected to the complete POS modem from TWC for a year and a half with no issues. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E