Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000: corrective firmware. Why is it taking so long????

LeKeiser
Luminary

R7000: corrective firmware. Why is it taking so long????

Hello,

Just wondering why oh why, after releasing such a buggy firmware, is it taking Netgear so long to release something that would come *close* to a stable corrective firmware?? So many users are pissed off, I know it's best not to release something buggier than the actual one, but come on!! 

Commercialy, it's really bad for the image of Netgear! 😮

What do you all think?

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi LeKeiser,

There is a new firmware for R7000.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30175

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
Jim769
Luminary

I think this is the reason I returned my 7000 Netgear firmwares are to far and few between and are often very buggy as if it was never even tested at all before release. I can't justify spending my hard earned money with Netgear. Also the 7000 has a few years on it now don't be surprised if they drop all support in the near future. What else can I say R-7000 great hardware very poor firmware. 

Message 2 of 15
LeKeiser
Luminary

How's your expericence with the Asus router? And most important: with its support? 🙂

Message 3 of 15
TheEther
Guru

I think they are aiming to get something out before the end of the year.  It takes time to test a release and, like you said, they don't want to release something buggier.  Besides, it's holiday season.  Get them a break.  I think they know they messed up this release.  Just downgrade and be patient.

If you are fed up with stock firmware, there are plenty of 3rd party options: DD-WRT, AsusWRT-Merlin, Tomato.  Like Jim769 said, the hardware is great.

Message 4 of 15
LeKeiser
Luminary

Actually I'm really thinking about changing and using DD-WRT, Kong... Was happy with DD-WRT and my old Netgear, so what the hell... Thought I was going to stick with the Netgear firmware though but it doesn't look good.

And I'm sorry but when you release something that so buggy, the priority N°UNO is to release something stable FAST. Because users aren't face with a little problem, like the colour display or something that trivial. Way way more **bleep**ty than that. So Netgear engineers should work double time and release a REAL firmware now... Like yesterday...

Message 5 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Like I said, downgrade to a stable release. No one is forcing you to use the latest version.
Message 6 of 15
Jim769
Luminary

@LeKeiser wrote:

How's your expericence with the Asus router? And most important: with its support? 🙂

If your your reffering to me the experience has been excellent. I bought the AC-3100 a few days before Thanks Giving and loaded it with Merlin's firmware and have not had one single issue at all. In fact this has been the best router so far I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few. 

Message 7 of 15
LeKeiser
Luminary

I'm sorry but usually, when you release a newer firmware, it's because it offers new features and it corrects some bugs. So it's *always* best to install the latest available firmware. No one is forcing me, but it's what's supposed to be done. Like when you update your OS, or whatever... 

Now if a company releases something that hasn't been tested at all, and it seems to be the case when you look at the number of complaints and the obvious bugs users are having with the router, then it means something is really wrong with that company and that product 😮

Message 8 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Yes, it's usually a good idea to run the latest firmware, except when it doesn't work.  Even big companies, like Microsoft and Apple make mistakes and put out buggy updates.  In fact, this happened recently with a Windows 10 update, and it took Apple several releases to fix major Wi-Fi bugs in iOS.  Is something really wrong with all of these companies?

If Netgear had pulled the firmware, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

Message 9 of 15
LeKeiser
Luminary

I'm sorry again, but hey, those are pretty BIG bugs! 

No more port redirection? ReadyShare printer not working unless you switch off the access control? Downloads slower than before? ... Add of course all the other complaints on the other thread, and you have to admit that this firmware is a disgrace to all firmwares... Yes, Netgear should have pulled the firmware the day they put it online. 

As for the other companies, when they f..k up, you can read about that all over the net. So let's talk about Netgear now, right?

Message 10 of 15
TheEther
Guru

No more port redirection?  Fixed by a factory reset or removal and addition of existing rules.  A Netgear engineer admitted to me that they should have included instructions to perform a factory reset after installing 1.0.5.48.

ReadyShare and access control.  Yes, a bug that will be fixed in the next release, though access control is a hardly what I call a useful feature.

Downloads slower than before?  Hadn't noticed any significant difference.

I'm not sure what else to talk about.  I get it that you are unhappy that Netgear hasn't released new firmware.  You'll simply have to wait until it's ready.  Or jump ship and buy an Asus.  Want an idea how complicated firmware is?  Take a look at the changelog for Asuswrt-Merlin.  I happen to think Asuswrt-Merlin is great, but it's not bug free, either.

Message 11 of 15
LeKeiser
Luminary

Mmmhhh... How would you like it, if the next time you apply an OS update, Windows or Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora or MacOS, you had to reinstall everything because hey, they forgot to include instructions to perform a reinstall after that update? 

You don't like access control, I get it, I know why. Still, it's a feature. If it's so bad, or useless, then it should be removed. I think, like someone wrote about that, that it's another piece of a puzzle, another door before to break before you go to the next level... So I want it back, with the ReadyShare printer, as was advertised when I bought the router.

Yep, downloads are slower than what they were. Started right after the update. 800/40 here. Now I get 500/40 😞

Your advise is to jump ship and buy Asus? You think I'm Rockefeller, that my pockets are full of money? The R7000 was my choice among a few routers, and it wasn't an easy buy, but an expensive one. That's why I expect it to be worthy of my expense.

Don't get me wrong: I love that router. That's why I bitch about that firmware, and won't stop until I get a new and BETTER one!

Message 12 of 15
TheEther
Guru

If I lost all my data files after an OS update, sure I would be pissed.  But I keep backups of my data.

When it comes to routers, I'm used to doing a factory reset after every update (years of using DD-WRT will do that to you).  The amount of time it takes to reconfigure a router from scratch pales in comparison to reinstalling an OS and personal data.  Is it a nuisance?  Yes, but I don't consider it a major one.  I am sympathetic to the guy who took 3 hours to reconfigure his router, though I think his configuration is unnecessarily complex.

I probably saw the same person write about access control being like another door to break.  Well, this is a door that is inside the house with a child lock.  Nobody should feel safer using it, and yet I've seen someone on this forum use it in lieu of proper security.  As in, this person used access control without WPA2 encryption. That's like putting a child lock on the front door!

Because it is so trivially defeated by cloning the MAC address of an authorized computer, access control should literally only be used to control child access to Wi-Fi.  I also have reason to believe that enabling access control disables hardware-assisted forwarding and, therefore, negatively impacts speeds.  So, feel free to use it, but understand what you are getting for it and at what cost.

I only brought up Asus because you intimated that you were ready to jump ship by asking Jim769 about his experiences with one.  I would certainly not make any presumptions about your financial status.  It's great that you love the router.  The R7000 is one of the top selling routers according to smallnetbuilder.com.

Message 13 of 15
LeKeiser
Luminary

Still waiting, still nothing... 2015 is going to leave without a proper firmware 😞

Message 14 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi LeKeiser,

There is a new firmware for R7000.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30175

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7