Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 dropping 5Ghz randomly

rpzky8
Guide

R7000 dropping 5Ghz randomly

I was transitioned to work from home so I was able to finally notice this, but my 5Ghz connection on my router occasionally drops. During the course of my 9-10 hour shift, the connection drops around 5-7 times only for the 5Ghz, and needs about 1-5 minutes to get back up. 2.4Ghz doesn't seem to be affected since I used it as a fallback.

For reference, my iMac is positioned roughly 10 ft away in a room. Just for testing purposes, I connected my iPad next to the router, and when I encounter a connection drop, I check my iPad and it's also disconnected. All wired and 2.4Ghz connected devices are unaffected. I also setup another PC (sleep settings is turned off) to not connect automatically on the 5Ghz network, and if I leave it connected to 5Ghz overnight, the PC is disconnected in the morning.

I tried doing the following troubleshooting steps on an issue I've seen in the forum back in 2019:

- Reset my router using a paper clip at the back of it

- Setup the router, afterwards, used the firmware update that I downloaded in Netgear's site (the router is already on the same firmware but did it anyway)

- After doing the firmware update, reset the router again

- Setup router using a new SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

- Tried the next day for work, issue persists

Router version: V1.0.11.100_10.2.100 

R7000 Nighthawk Smart Wifi Router connected to a CM1000, ISP is xFinity.

Is my router's 5Ghz toast? I bought the router roughly 2 years ago. I don't know when the issue started since I only use the internet for minor browsing and gaming before. Only noticed the disconnects almost a week ago eversince I started working from home (moderate internet use, on conference calls most of my 9-10 hour shift).

Any input or troubleshooting step I missed is greatly appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 138

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

the general agreed upon decent firmware for the R7000 is 1.0.9.42.

the recently released version is still waiting feedback but the initial results aren't any better from what I've seen. 

What modem is it from xfinity?

Try installing that firmware, factory reset again, and make sure to manually install. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 138

All Replies
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@rpzky8  Well this isn't really going to help you any, but welcome to the club of all of those R7000 AC1900 users who also state that they are suffering exactly the same issue you are experiencing.

No one knows for sure, but the more this crops up, it might appear that this is an issue that seems to affect older R7000 units. I'm begining to wonder if this is a hardware issue within older routers that pre-date v.64. I realise that a 2 year old router isn't exactly that old, but some of us aren't having any issues whatsoever and I'm on the latest firmware and my router is just a year old having left the factory on v.64. I can't say that personally I have seen anyone stating that a recently manufactured R7000 AC1900, is dropping WiFi frequently after a firmware upgrade. To make a point also, most users won't know exactly when their router was manufactured. In order to find out that information, you have to raise a support ticket and ask and this is best done in the first 90 days of purchase whilst the support is complimentary.

Did you make a note of what firmware you were on before you upgraded to the latest firmware? Was the router behaving itself prior to updating? If so, it might be worth rolling back to your original firmware. You will read lots of users heavily advocating firmware v.42. This is fine if your router came out of the factory with that firmware, but if your router never had that firmware because it pre-dated your own router, then you might want to think very carefully about rolling back to an older firmware the router never had in the first place.

How many devices have you got using 5ghz WiFi at any given time?

Message 2 of 138
plemans
Guru

the general agreed upon decent firmware for the R7000 is 1.0.9.42.

the recently released version is still waiting feedback but the initial results aren't any better from what I've seen. 

What modem is it from xfinity?

Try installing that firmware, factory reset again, and make sure to manually install. 

Message 3 of 138
rpzky8
Guide

@Portwey84Hey thanks for the response! I haven't been keeping track of the firmware that it's on way before I noticed this issue, especially since the router is just set on auto-update. One thing I'm sure about though, is that before I attempted to do a reset and installing the latest firmware, the device shows that it's already IN the latest firmware which is the V1.0.11.100_10.2.100. I haven't noticed issues before, but I may have had experienced a couple of disconnects while online gaming back then, just not as frequent as this. For the 5Ghz network, I only have 3 devices at most connected at any given time, an iMac, PC and iPad.

@plemansI will definitely try installing it after work and post here some results. I own my modem, which is a Netgear CM1000.

The connection for my 5Ghz network definitely died now by the way. It's still showing up but unable to connect to the internet. 2.4Ghz and wired connection has no issues though.

Message 4 of 138
stelthlion68
Tutor

I was looking at upgrading to the latest version (I upgraded to 1.0.9.88 and started seeing router issues - dropping connection).  After reading many posts and replies I decided to revent back to 1.0.9.42 version.  I am only about 20 hours in, but after a full day of video converencing, no hiccups (which was not the case with the 88 firmware).

So, I agree, go back to 1.0.9.42.

I also did it the lazy way - I did not factory reset my router, I simply "upgraded" to an older version.  The system asked whether I wanted to install older version - once I confirmed the process as as smooth as with any other firmware version change.

So, thanks to all who suggested the 42 version.

Message 5 of 138
rpzky8
Guide

I downgraded to 1.0.9.42 version and during the 4 hours left that I was at work (I tried to squeeze the downgrade during my lunch), I haven't experienced any drops in the 5GHz connection. I'm going to try and see if my PC is still connected overnight with this firmware, but so far so good. I already had a router and access point in my cart if the issue still persists, hopefully it will continue working.

Message 6 of 138
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@rpzky8  @stelthlion68 Clearly I'm pleased for you both that rolling back to v.42 appears to have fixed your 5ghz WiFi stability issues.

Rolling back though could be seen as a trade off between functionality versus possible security issues. I've had a look at the release notes for the firmware upgrades that Netgear pushed out after v.42. Versions .60 and .64 both appear to have had a higher number of 'fixes' than some other firmware releases. In these firmware updates, Netgear supposedly incorporate various security 'fixes'. Personally, I have absolutely no idea what these fixes are and whether or not any security 'fixes' that might be lumped in with the overall update, genuinely protect the end user from outside interference, hacking, attack or whatever other methods that could be used to compromise the equipment.

So whilst other users appear more than happy to 'advise' others to rollback to a particular firmware just because 'it works' or is accepted as 'the most stable version', does that 'advice' open up the end user to security issues? After all, v.42 firmware was released over two years ago, so is it 'secure'? I have no idea personally. I'm supposed to trust Netgear that they are keeping my router security safe for want of better words. It may be that rolling back to an old firmware version will have negligible effect when it comes to security. It could also mean you're potentially leaving your router exposed to security problems. So because seemingly so many R7000 AC1900 users are experiencing functionality issues after updating to the latest firmware, the only resolution it appears, is to downgrade again or do what others have claimed, buy a different brand of router.

Clearly Netgear need to resolve this issue with yet another firmware fix. Quite how long it will take them to do so though, is an entirely different question. I guess it will depend on just how many users complain directly to them and how long they deem it operationally necessary to provide support. Many won't have any complimentary support remaining or won't pay for a continuing support package, therefore unless they're willing to pay, probably won't make their voices heard. We could quite literally be waiting months or longer or indeed never for another firmware update. Time will undoubtedly tell.

Message 7 of 138
ArtD3
Tutor

I got my R7000 two days ago, shipped with 1.0.9.88 and I did have the 5Gz drops every few hours.  Based on all the advice, I downgraded to the .42 firmware and I've been rock solid for about 36 hours.  Hard to believe they can't get simple 5gz working with their firmware.

Message 8 of 138
stelthlion68
Tutor

Yes, security is a consideration.  Then again, if the router doesn't work, you are secure. Yes, there is a risk, but I bet there a plenty of higher value targets than watching what games my kids play and what I stream.

In my past experience, Linksys killed my router with a firmware upgrade (and there were no open source options). So, I am sticking with something that works.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 9 of 138
rpzky8
Guide

I understand that updates includes security fixes, but if it breaks one of the main features of said device, I will rather go back to an older firmware. Imagine being secure but having to apologize to my coworkers for being booted off every hour or two just for the sake of security.

I had little hope of getting this issue fixed and I was ready to shell out the extra cost of buying a new router (which at this point, might not be Netgear anymore), until the solution came out. I was almost led into thinking that something went wrong with my hardware, when the culprit all along is the firmware. If it indeed was a hardware issue, it will be the youngest router I have ever owned to be trashed out.

Maybe if I have time, I'll try to move up to each firmware to see what works well for me, but for now, I'm not gonna try to fix what's still working for me.

Message 10 of 138
lkuhn
Guide

It does make sense that version 42 is the answer - afterall, that is the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Message 11 of 138
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@lkuhn  Rollback to v.42 certainly appears to be the default stock answer for all issues connected with 5ghz WiFi dropouts.

No one however really wants to talk about or try to explain why some of us aren't having any problems with the new firmware because well, there's nothing to talk about I guess. 25 days in and still no problems on firmware 1.0.11.100.

Message 12 of 138
lkuhn
Guide

I tried 1.0.11.100 first. It seemed good for the first 6 hours, but then I started seeing the 5G network dropping out again. The duration of the drops were much shorter though. Had I not had several device users on high alert watching we might not have noticed them.
Message 13 of 138
lkuhn
Guide

I definitely believe that there must be some component that changed over time in hardware so that date of manufacture is a factor in which firmware works or doesn't.  I don't know the date of manufacture of my device, but it was purchased on 2015-01-31.

Message 14 of 138
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@lkuhn  They'll be some who won't believe there will be some sort of hardware differences. Your router is at least 4 years or older than my own. I still genuinely believe that the internal components of your router, will not be completely identical in every respect to those in my router despite being an identical model. As you have also said, some components are bound to have changed in that time. Only a full expert teardown would be able to confirm whether or not that was the case.

In any respect, it's simply unacceptable that there are R7000 users out there who are consistently suffering with the same issues. I'm starting to feel guilty that there's nothing wrong with mine using the very latest firmware.

Message 15 of 138
ArtD3
Tutor

Mine was purchased April 14th and it needs the 42 version to work with 5g.
Message 16 of 138
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@ArtD3 

@ArtD3 wrote:
Mine was purchased April 14th and it needs the 42 version to work with 5g.

So, if your router was purchased just a couple of weeks ago, I'm assuming new, from a store? then it should at least come with either v.64 or v.88 out of the box. This of course will depend on the manufacture date of your router. As you have only just purchased the router, have you registered it with Netgear for the complimentary 90 day support? If you have and you are saying that your router cannot operate 5ghz WiFi satisfactorily either on whatever the factory firmware was or the very latest firmware, have you complained to Netgear? It makes zero sense whatsoever, to rollback to a 2 year old firmware for a router that might be just a few months old out of the factory, though of course if that is the only firmware that is working properly for all of those complaining, there seems little choice but to rollback for those users.

If you do intend to or have already registered your router with Netgear, you might find it interesting just to raise a support ticket with your router serial number and ask the question about its manufacture date. I did and they told me without any problem.

Also, what country are you based? There seems to be quite an issue with this in the US. I'm in the UK and I'm having no problems whatsoever. No one seems able to offer an explanation for that.

Message 17 of 138
ArtD3
Tutor

I'm in the US.  Yes, out of the box (ordered directly from Netgear) with v.88, failed on 5g within 30 minutes of install.  Opened a case with Netgear, tried a number of things including reboot, reset, channel change, etc.  Tried updating to newest version 1.11 think and that failed as well.  Went back to .42 and 5g was stable.  Had a few other issues with things like Readyshare, QOS stuff, etc.  Talked to Netgear support and they have nothing.  I've been a network engineer for 25 years and have never seen anything this badly produced.  I've had other Netgear routers for years that have been stable but this is just unacceptable.

I'm now sending it back and getting a refund and am about to setup my new Google Wi-Fi.

Message 18 of 138
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@ArtD3  I can't fault you. I too would have done exactly the same had I had the same issues.

The more folks who do what you have done, then Netgear might perk up and take notice and do something......you'd think.

For myself, I have to be honest, my own R7000 router is proving to be a good purchase for me. The latest firmware update went without a hitch. I've had it almost 3 months now and it does exactly what I need it to with the plus of course I'm not having any WiFi dropout issues.

Good luck with your new Google setup!

Message 19 of 138
rpzky8
Guide

@ArtD3 I wish I could've tested it extensively when I first got it, but I didn't have crazy disconnects back then out of the box. Good thing you caught it early and was still able to reach out to support. I almost gave up until I went to the forums and was skeptical about reverting to an older version, and it saved me from scrapping this almost $200 router.  If I was in your position, would've done the same thing and returned it and just go with a different and more reliable one.

Message 20 of 138
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@rpzky8  It goes without saying though, if anyone is going to follow the seemingly standard 'advice' of rolling back to a 2+year old firmware with all of the security issues v.42 might be exposed to, ensure you are at least utilising decent daily updated anti-virus/malware software, an up to date privacy focussed browser and perhaps a good VPN provider. I personally utilise all three, two of which I pay for, i.e. the anti-virus and VPN. I also pay for a secure Swiss based email account. I guess some will think that's all a bit over the top, but it makes me feel more comfortable.

Message 21 of 138
RxPD
Aspirant

Hi all and our friends at Netgear - Has there been any progress made on fixing the firmware. I bought mine in Dec 2019 and have been having this issue since 2 weeks ago. The ROI is proving to be moving in the direction of a sunk cost for a device that is not cheap. 

I took the same steps as @stelthlion68 but continue to consistently have the problem

Netgear folks are you able to share any progress on providing a fix for this very important issue that is impacting work and people's livelihood or should I just resign to that this product is not worth the time and go buy something else?

Message 22 of 138
rpzky8
Guide

I would definitely try using the latest firmware first, then if it fails, use the old firmware if possible. What firmware do you have right now?
Message 23 of 138
RxPD
Aspirant

@rpzky8 thank you for the response. I had the latest firmware 1.0.11.100_10.2.100 but had all the issues described in this community. So I backed it 1.0.9.42_10.2.44 which is what I have now and as I indicate still having issues.

Message 24 of 138
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@RxPD wrote:

Hi all and our friends at Netgear - Has there been any progress made on fixing the firmware. I bought mine in Dec 2019 and have been having this issue since 2 weeks ago. The ROI is proving to be moving in the direction of a sunk cost for a device that is not cheap. 

I took the same steps as @stelthlion68 but continue to consistently have the problem

Netgear folks are you able to share any progress on providing a fix for this very important issue that is impacting work and people's livelihood or should I just resign to that this product is not worth the time and go buy something else?

The problem here is, that even if anyone from Netgear bothered to sit down and read through this Community forum and discovered that there are seemingly lots of R7000 AC1900 router owners who are consistently reporting issues with 5ghz WiFi dropouts, then there's owners like me, on the newest latest firmware that have not had any issues whatsoever. So how is this the case? Why are some R7000 owners having so many problems with the latest firmware and yet some of us are not? No one can answer that question. Is it a geographical issue? A hardware issue with an unspecified number of routers? Environmental issues? or user error issues relating to firmware updates? No one has yet come up with an answer. I don't doubt there is a problem somewhere, but it clearly isn't affecting every single R7000 AC1900 owner, so how Netgear are going to resolve an issue that doesn't affect everyone, is going to be interesting.

Message 25 of 138
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7