Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 dropping 5Ghz randomly

TOOMUCHSAUCE
Apprentice

@spcrick wrote:
I dont know how i feel about linksys. The last one i owned was a e2500. Either their routers are that good that doesnt need frequent firmware updates or their support is just so bad they can only push out a fw every blue moon. Some of them they literally just stopped supporting.

My suggestion was for a relatively inexpensive replacement for the $160 R7000. For $150 you get a normally $250 router that is better categorically in all speed and coverage areas, with zero drops and great reviews. Can't speak for firmware upgrades but if it's better out of the box and rock stable, I really don't care for frequent updates (lord knows they did nothing good with the r7000) so long as they fix major security loopholes. 

Message 126 of 138
lucrabbit
Guide

Installed my old R7000 as a wired AP today with FW V1.0.11.106_10.2.100.  Noticed a few speed drops (down from 800M-1000Mbps to 7 Mbps) which lasted for maybe a minute or two.  Is this what people called "drops"? Since I have the AP only to extend range so I don't have any device connected to the 2.4G band.  Thoughts? 

Message 127 of 138
rjwilson49
Initiate

This has been a problem for a long time now and Netgear can't fix the issue without going back to old out of date firmware.  I did as someone else suggested and switched over to Linksys MR9000/AC3000, which works just as well as the R7000 without the drops.  My family and I got tired of all the drops during the day/night.  I switched back to the old firmware and still had issues with the 5ghz.  We used the 2.4ghz without any issues, but 5ghz is much better and faster when it works, so I went with a different brand so I don't have this issue with a new purchase from Netgear.  I used Netgear for a long time, thought they were solid, but going back to Linksys.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 128 of 138
AtifS
Aspirant

I was having the same issue and upgraded to V1.0.11.106_10.2.100 and the problem has disappeared.  It's been more than 2 weeks and so far so  good.

Model: R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 129 of 138
jaak
Aspirant

Having similar kinds of connection issues.

The lastest firmware (V1.0.11.106_10.2.100) did not solve 5 GHz connection problems, still losing an internet connection multiple times a day. I did a full reset and manually installed settings by using a wired connecion. Still same issues.

Tried to contact Netgear support. After five minutes heard "we are having technical issues and cannot answer your call now". Then they cut me off.

Message 130 of 138
AtifS
Aspirant

After nearly 2.5 weeks the problem reappeared today.  Rebooted the router.  Will monitor to see how long it takes this time.

Message 131 of 138
jtby
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Constant wifi drops.  Wired network stays connected.  I am using firmware  V1.0.11.106_10.2.100, and also downgraded.  After reading the message boards for a couple of weeks I finally I purchased the $89 support plan, and so far support has had me downgrade firmware, which I guess is a security risk.  Also change some channels.  But the problem persists.  Premium paid support is really hard to get ahold of!!  They do not return emails, and been on hold foooorrrreeeevvveeeerrrrrrr.  Steps taken so far have not helped.  I am having a really bad netgear experience.  I just want the dang thing to work w/o rebooting 20 times a day, or else get my money back.  Its only a year old! 

Message 132 of 138
spcrick
Apprentice

You bought the R7000 a year ago?? Why? There are so many better routers out to select from. I think most of us had this router for years.
Message 133 of 138
jtby
Aspirant

LOL it was on the shelf at bestbuy and I trusted netgear.  I have learned an important lesson! 

Message 134 of 138
spcrick
Apprentice

Shame on bestbuy! Lol What firmware version did netgear had you using? 1.0.9.42 was the best firmware on my R7000.. never had to reboot it once. I thought 106 was the magic fw since it was working for 2 days until i lost internet on the 3rd day. I looked at the router and noticed it literally was in a reboot process.
Message 135 of 138
rjwilson49
Initiate

I purchased a Linksys MR9000/AC3000 and it works flawlessly, I got tired of messing around with my AC1900 for the past 2 years. I kept waiting for the magic firmware release, I mean this is one of there best selling routers and it never came.  I finally just got fed up waiting and dealing with the drops and resetting the router and I did not want the same problem with another netgear product, so I switched back to Linksys.

Message 136 of 138
TOOMUCHSAUCE
Apprentice

@jtby wrote:

I have the same problem. Constant wifi drops.  Wired network stays connected.  I am using firmware  V1.0.11.106_10.2.100, and also downgraded.  After reading the message boards for a couple of weeks I finally I purchased the $89 support plan, and so far support has had me downgrade firmware, which I guess is a security risk.  Also change some channels.  But the problem persists.  Premium paid support is really hard to get ahold of!!  They do not return emails, and been on hold foooorrrreeeevvveeeerrrrrrr.  Steps taken so far have not helped.  I am having a really bad netgear experience.  I just want the dang thing to work w/o rebooting 20 times a day, or else get my money back.  Its only a year old! 

You lost $90 which you could/should have used for a new router. That said, you should minimize your damage and do it ASAP. Buy a new r7000 from Best Buy and use that receipt to return your old r7000 router (assuming you kept your packaging?) You will be left with an unsealed, new, r7000 router that you should proceed to sell (on facebook, ebay, etc.) for 3/4 the price. Take that money and buy a new router. 

I would also fight tooth and nail to get your $90 back from netgear. Tell them you are not satisfied and want a refund. Don't settle for no. 

As a suggestion you can buy the linksys mr9000 router on sale for $150 from Best Buy if you are patient (wait for the sale) and it meets or exceeds the range and speed of the r7000 and has no drops. I am sure there are other comperable routers but I personally can vouch for that one. 

Best of luck. Sorry you got roped into this mess. 

-Mike

Message 137 of 138
jtby
Aspirant

Thanks for tip, I will do that.  I am attempting to contact netgear to cancel the support plan that I purchased 2 days ago for refund, as it is proving to be non-functional.  They will not even respond to me to help me cancel the support plan!  I feel like I have been double-duped by Netgear, and they have no interest in me other than my credit card. I am honestly astonished by all of this. 

Message 138 of 138
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7