Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 dropping wifi randomly - Old AND brand new router same thing

whocares_1234
Aspirant

R7000 dropping wifi randomly - Old AND brand new router same thing

• I had an R7000 for ~2 years.  Last week it started acting up: Wifi completely drops (can't even stay on LAN).  
  • Nothing changed that would have "caused" this... it started happening out of the blue
  • Tried a factory reset
  • Tried downgrading firmware (it was not on auto-udpate, but I rolled it back anyway to the "popular" stable version everyone on these boards suggests)
  • Lights were normal: it didn't appear to be restarting, just dropping the 2.4 and 5 bands while looking like everything was normal
  • Nothing worked
  • Power supply not an issue

I work from home and my connection is critical.  I bought a NEW R7000 and shipped overnight. I got the new router last night, hooked it up, all good for a few hours.  Woke up this morning and boom... another outage.

• Not a hardware issue, it appears
  • Not a firmware issue, it appears (I've tried 3 different firmware versions on 2 different routers)
  • This started happening without ANY changes to my router
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
whocares_1234
Aspirant

Re: R7000 dropping wifi randomly - Old AND brand new router same thing

since I can't edit my previous post, I wanted to add:

I was able to run downstairs when I noticed the loss of connection, and I caught the router rebooting... the power LED was orange and it was re-cycling through the startup process.

I have tried to run and catch it before, but maybe I've missed it restarting?

I've tried running an extension cord from a different outlet just to make sure it's not a power issue.  That outlet shouldn't be a problem as the router had been there for 4 months already with no issues.

Message 2 of 4
whocares_1234
Aspirant

Update:

Connecting to a different outlet didn't solve anything.

Message 3 of 4
whocares_1234
Aspirant

Still restarting randomly.

This is insane.  Old router and new router both act the same.

This would lead me to believe that it's something on my end, however I've eliminated the power supply issue so I can't imagine what else it would be.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7