R7000 drops other wireless connections when other devices reconnect

vigil
Aspirant

R7000 drops other wireless connections when other devices reconnect

Customer is stating that R7000 router drops connection when iPhone or other wireless devices hook up, almost like it's having an ip conflict. The router is set to AP mode and retrieves IP dynamically from Ubiquiti modem. I found a few posts that kind of match the description and they recommended downgrading firmware into the 10.0.4 range. But those were older posts and it does look like a new firmware is available for the R7000. Curios what you guys recommend. I did assign the router a static for AP mode and manually configured in DNS (it had a gateway for a DNS1, which I thought was kinda bizarre.)

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7000 drops other wireless connections when other devices reconnect

Welcome to the community, @vigil

It's best to use the latest update. 

Will the iPhone drops the connection when it's connected to the main router? 

How far is the distance between the Ubiquiti and the NETGEAR?

By the way, if you updated the firmware I suggest that you factory reset the router then reconfigure it. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 4
vigil
Aspirant

He has kind of an elaborate setup. Ubiquiti radio is outside (doi, fed inside his office to the 1st R7000 in AP mode, then from that goes to the to the middle of the house, to a Netgear Switch (not sure what model) and from the switch branches off into (I think) the 2nd R7000 and another Netgear Router (unknown model). I'm not aware of what modes the other 2 routers are in, he never gave them to me. Just to give you an idea of what his setup looks like. Sounds like when one device on the 2 other routers, the last two, connects - it will disconnect him from the first router. That's his main complaint. I've since requested he bring in his other two routers so I can try to reduplicate the issue in my office. 
One thing that bugs me is I did update to the new firmware and it was so much trouble for me to get back into that R7000 after I did the factory reset. Only way I could get into it (with what I had) was an iPhone to program it up so I could then get into it on my desktop. I made sure the ethernet adapter I was using was on dhcp, obtaining an ip from the router, but every time I went to routerlogin.net it would tell me that there was something wrong. I refreshed, seriously was trying to get it to work for 2 hours until I tried the iPhone. Think he might have a bad router? 

Anyways, sorry for the long post, Thanks for the welcome! 

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We need to get the whole configuration of the setup.

It seems that it's a configuration issue but it's not really clear as to what since we do not have the whole configuration of this setup and model numbers. 

It would be best that you try to get the information together with a network diagram to fully understand what's happening. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E