Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 extremely bad wireless, wired good

westozhtc
Aspirant

R7000 extremely bad wireless, wired good

Hi- i am getting good wired speed out of the R7000- 9 to 10mb on a 12mb/s connection. But the wired speed is less than 1mb/s. Sometimes a router reboot fixes it but increasingly it does not. Anyone know what might be causing this?
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
westozhtc
Aspirant

Re: R7000 extremely bad wireless, wired good

Ok- for anyone else having this issue, i followed the instructions in this link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/4lhsa1/s7_and_s7_edge_slow_internet_on_wifi_fixed/

And it 'appears' to have fixed my issue- it didn't work at first but after i powered the router on and off i had good speeds back. To check whether the DNSet part of the instructions was necessary i uninstalled that app and the connection speed dropped about 3 or 4mb/s - reinstalled it and was back to normal so looks like this is the issue. I know how fickle these things can be so I'll probably be back here in 5 minutes saying this didn't actually work after all but we'll see...

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@westozhtc wrote:
But the wired speed is less than 1mb/s. 

I think you meant wireless.  Either way, something is wrong.

Can you give some specifics - does this happen on both bands?  What devices are you connecting to the wifi network?  What is the distance between the devices and the router?

Are you measuring the speed with speedtest.net or some other way?

Message 2 of 10
westozhtc
Aspirant

Yes apologies auto text got me on that one i did mean wireless is bad.
Yes measuring with speedtest.net.
Mainly smartphones connected to wireless. Often if I'm at the other end of the house switching from the 5G band to the 2.4 fixes the problem, but it's just getting gradually worse. For example I'm sitting right next to the router now and both bands are under 1mb. But i can watch sd netflix through a wired ps3 with no buffering and prefect picture.
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Can you measure the signal strength with your smartphone (requires android)?  Netgear's WiFi Analytics app should tell you.

Message 4 of 10
westozhtc
Aspirant

Yeah it's in the mid minus 40 dBm
Message 5 of 10
westozhtc
Aspirant

But i just checked speedtest.net again and the wireless speed is back up to 10mb/s. I will check the signal next time the speed drops.
Message 6 of 10
westozhtc
Aspirant

Ok- i think I've kind of solved this- speed is down to less than 1mb again, signal strength good, but i just booted my laptop up out of curiosity and did a speed test on the laptop and it is 8mb/s. So the issue is with my galaxy s7, not my netgear router.

I assume this is a Samsung issue not a netgear issue but if I'm wrong let me know.

Thanks for the help
Message 7 of 10
westozhtc
Aspirant

Just to add another piece to this puzzle, wifi is also extremely slow on my wife's galaxy s5. So it seems to be a general smartphone connectivity issue- could this be the router after all?
Message 8 of 10
westozhtc
Aspirant

Ok- for anyone else having this issue, i followed the instructions in this link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/4lhsa1/s7_and_s7_edge_slow_internet_on_wifi_fixed/

And it 'appears' to have fixed my issue- it didn't work at first but after i powered the router on and off i had good speeds back. To check whether the DNSet part of the instructions was necessary i uninstalled that app and the connection speed dropped about 3 or 4mb/s - reinstalled it and was back to normal so looks like this is the issue. I know how fickle these things can be so I'll probably be back here in 5 minutes saying this didn't actually work after all but we'll see...
Message 9 of 10
TheEther
Guru

I ascertained from that reddit thread that the issue is that the S7 defaults to use IPv6.  If your ISP's implementation of IPv6 is poor, then that could result in slow speeds.  The thread describes two possible "fixes".  One is to enable legacy DHCP mode on the S7.  The other is to install DNSet.  Either method effectively disables IPv6.  The thing is, if IPv6 is disabled on the R7000 (it is disabled by default), then the fixes should not be necessary.

If the fixes work for you, that's great, but I have my doubts that they are anything but a red herring.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7