Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 extremely slow upload speeds

ccerda
Aspirant

R7000 extremely slow upload speeds

I just got my router yesterday. My experience has been horrible so far with it. I have been getting insanely different download speeds with it. Yesterday i was getting 3 mbps down while today im getting 90 mbps down. However my upload speed has been consistent since i installed it. My uplaod speed has been at 0.3 mbps every time and it is horrible. I need help fixing it. I have already gone through the trouble with comcast and the speeds with the old router are normal, its this router that is bad. I am connected with ethernet as well. 

I have had a constant 100/15 with my old router that broke. Nothing close with this one.

UPDATE: 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6036428761

Latest speed result

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
LeeH
Prodigy

Some times if you upgrade the firmware or mess around with the settings or very infrequently all by itself the configuration memory in the router can become corrupted.  Recommend you do the following.

Reset the router by pressing in the reset button on the back for at least 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink.

Update to the latest firmware.  Don't change the firmware again unless you have a problem that a newer version of firmware fixes or there is an important security update that affects you.  There is always a risk of bricking (breaking) your router when you change firmware.

Reset the router again like the first time.

Change the admin password and leave all other router configuration items alone and try running it with defaults.

Report back and let us know how it is running.

You should always do a reset after changing firmware. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

Some times if you upgrade the firmware or mess around with the settings or very infrequently all by itself the configuration memory in the router can become corrupted.  Recommend you do the following.

Reset the router by pressing in the reset button on the back for at least 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink.

Update to the latest firmware.  Don't change the firmware again unless you have a problem that a newer version of firmware fixes or there is an important security update that affects you.  There is always a risk of bricking (breaking) your router when you change firmware.

Reset the router again like the first time.

Change the admin password and leave all other router configuration items alone and try running it with defaults.

Report back and let us know how it is running.

You should always do a reset after changing firmware. 

Message 2 of 6
ccerda
Aspirant

You are a genius!!! Thank you that really worked. Im getting 90 down and 6 up. Thank you for that i really appreciate your help.

Message 3 of 6
ccerda
Aspirant

Thank you so much

Message 4 of 6
LeeH
Prodigy

I think you can get better speed than you are getting right now.  I have 300/20 running to my R7000 and am getting 350/23 through it.

First log into your router by logging into the web interface and selecting Internet from the Basic tab.  Take a look at the Internet IP address and see if it is a public IP address. This is to make sure that your modem is running in bridge mode and not in router mode.  For instance my modem is also a router and originally gave my R7000 an IP address of 192.168.0.2 which is a private non Internet routable address.  I reconfigured my modem to run as a bridge and I now have an Internet address of 71.71.x.x which is a proper public IP address.  (Never publish your entire public IP address especially on the internet.)

Then take a look at what speed you are getting directly from your modem by connecting directly up to it with a cable and running a speed test.  This speed is your goal for attaining with your R7000.  If your modem is running as a router it needs to be configured as a bridge and if you are not getting your full speed from your modem these are problems.  If either of these problems exist then try calling your ISP and having them fix it.  I like using http://www.speedtest.net/

I would like to know how you got 90/6 out of your router.  Did you use direct Ethernet cable, 2.4GHz wireless or 5GHz wireless?

Message 5 of 6
ccerda
Aspirant

Okay I will test this out. I did it using Ethernet. On wifi I got 80 from the 5ghz, 60 from 2.4. And on the Xbox one it's giving me 89 down through Ethernet as well
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7