Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 failed

bobrfish
Aspirant

R7000 failed

Purchased two years ago at double price for non-Netgear WIFI router.  Expected to download streaming content but never actually used it for that purpose.  Use consisted of family cell phones and a tablet.

After two years, device fails to load web pages, cannot be used to upload images and other content for WIFI users and fails to allow ethernet connection to desktop also.  The failure was not due to change in OS, environment or a change.  No changes occurred prior to failure.

My understanding from other threads is my R7000 is toast.  Netgear offers tech support starting at $50 and up.  Hmmm, spend more money with Netgear attempting to fix my R7000 or buy a new Netgear router WIFI?

Maybe a quality product would be an even better buy, something line Synology or Asus.  Anyone know of a better quality WIFI router to consider?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R7000 failed

I would start with manual it has a troubleshooting chapter which explains how to reset to defaults. It seems for whatever reasons Basic task which resolve 99% of problems has been overlooked.

The manual is free of charge. It does require reading it several times to gain a understanding if not familiar with routers.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Believe it or not, but NG routers are one of the highest quality hardware-wise. This doesn't mean there are no black sheeps, though. If you need to change routers, go with ASUS this time. Far better firmware, though ASUS also has its issues like it runs hotter due to drawing more power. But you won't find better stock firmware than ASUS.

Message 2 of 11
bobrfish
Aspirant

I do not have the expertise to evaluate if NG routers are superior to other brands.  Reviews suggest NG is a better router.  Yet, mine failed and thus my view of NG product is based on my experience.  Five days ago, router was working well and my experience at that point in time was NG quality was excellent.

Thanks for advice concerning ASUS.

Message 3 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What steps if any have you tried to correct the problem.

Message 4 of 11

@bobrfish wrote:
After two years, device fails to load web pages, cannot be used to upload images and other content for WIFI users and fails to allow ethernet connection to desktop also. 

Is this the heart of the matter?

If so, and you want to try fixing it, perhaps you could answer searay's question.

I have one too, have you set the thing to its factory settings?

Message 5 of 11
bobrfish
Aspirant

Rebooted Cisco modem.  Rebooted R7000.

Cisco modem is OK as ethernet connected to puter is transferring data well above my service level.  The issue is in R7000.  

Looked at NG website for assistance.  Could not find any documentation regarding do this or try this.  Instead NG wants $50 to start assisting me.

I checked this forum out to see if anyone else had a similar problem.  Found a thread with same problem and expert reply stated router required replacement.

Message 6 of 11
bobrfish
Aspirant

Yes I could and did try answering questions by those attempting to help.  However, in the 2 hours and 35 minutes between the question and your post suggesting I respond, I was sleeping.

NG provided a set up "genie" and that was used to set up R7000.  I do not remember altering or choosing "settings" and am not sure how to restore "factory settings".  Also, when I searched NG website I did not see any instructions regarding "resetting" factory settings.  I did see NG stating I would need to pay for help with any problem.  Maybe I should have ignored that and kept looking for answers there.  There was no obvious path to help on NG pages.

Message 7 of 11
microchip8
Master

The R7000 has a reset button at the back. Push it until power LED starts to blink

Message 8 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would start with manual it has a troubleshooting chapter which explains how to reset to defaults. It seems for whatever reasons Basic task which resolve 99% of problems has been overlooked.

The manual is free of charge. It does require reading it several times to gain a understanding if not familiar with routers.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf

Message 9 of 11
bobrfish
Aspirant

I lost the physical manual that came with router.  I expected to find a manual on NG website.  The manual is probably there somewhere but I could not find it.

Thanks for this electronic version.  I suspect it will be helpful.

Regarding button on back, I wrongly presumed it was off/on switch.  I believe that was tried without success, but I will give it another attempt.

Message 10 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

it's a recessed micro switch....use a toothpick to press....listen for the click sound

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7