Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 firmware 1.0.7.6 Beta firmware does not load

reidonly
Aspirant

R7000 firmware 1.0.7.6 Beta firmware does not load

Attempting to load the beta firmware addressing the security vulnerability, the firmware does not upload.

The progress bar moves, but nothing on the router actually seems affected.  The lights continue normally.  This is the first firmware in the lifetime of this router that has not uploaded.

Suggestions?

(If I have to do a hard reset of the router, will this reset the VPN keys I've distributed to my devices?)

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
reidonly
Aspirant

Re: R7000 firmware 1.0.7.6 Beta firmware does not load

Well, after maybe a half-dozen different attempts to load the firmware... it finally loaded.

Cumulative things changed before successful load:

1. wired connection to router with computer set to fixed IP
  2. Advanced -> Administration -> Router Update -> update the GUI version to V1.0.7.6_2.1.38.1
  3. access the router as http://www.routerlogin.net rather than by IP

...And this time it worked.  Independently verified from another system trying to access the vulnerability that I am now prompted for credentials.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
reidonly
Aspirant

Well, after maybe a half-dozen different attempts to load the firmware... it finally loaded.

Cumulative things changed before successful load:

1. wired connection to router with computer set to fixed IP
  2. Advanced -> Administration -> Router Update -> update the GUI version to V1.0.7.6_2.1.38.1
  3. access the router as http://www.routerlogin.net rather than by IP

...And this time it worked.  Independently verified from another system trying to access the vulnerability that I am now prompted for credentials.

Message 2 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware are you updating from?

Please make sure you are using a PC/Mac connected to your router via Ethernet to attempt the upgrade.

Have you tried other web browsers?

Message 3 of 8

I am excited, I downloaded and installed the new up-date (beta 1.0.2.26) and it loaded installed in one shot!  I hope that it works better. The only think so far is the fonts have changed!  Still need to go into it to find out if it's better or just a cosmetic thing. But, it's something. . .

Message 4 of 8
reidonly
Aspirant

I was updating from 1.0.7.2.

The update failed to load even when directly connected by CAT5 cable.

I did not try a browser other than Safari to load the firmware.  (When it did work--the difference oddly seeming to be access the router by www.routerlogin.net rather than by IP--I was still using Safari.)

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well I updated my router connecting via I.P. using Safari. It shouldn't matter whether the I.P. is used or routerlogin.net.

Message 6 of 8
reidonly
Aspirant

I agree.  It should not matter.  The name is just a special, hardcoded alias for the router's IP.

But it is the one thing I changed when the firmware finally loaded.  After many, many other failed attempts to load this patched firmware.  And after never having had any problems loading multiple different firmware updates over the years.

I mention my experience only to help the Netgear support team who are challenged with greater variety and volume of issues than my own indivdual experience.  By contributing, I hope they get more data to identify patterns.

Message 7 of 8
JaccoR7000
Aspirant

R7000 firmwr 1.0.7.6 Beta firmwre does not solved the WAN IP issue(problem shows up by renew ISP ip)

R7000 Issue.jpg

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7