R7000 firmware 1.0.9.14 defective?

fishbone
Star

R7000 firmware 1.0.9.14 defective?

Hi -

Installed 1.0.9.14 yesterday and since then experience slowness loading web pages and repeated crashing of the WiFi LAN.

When that happens my Win 10 PC reports connected to network but no internet connection. Nevertheless I cannot access the admin page of the router and lose connectivity to my LAN devices, such as VMs, NAT, etc.

Switching the router on and off restores the network... until the next time.

Is this another of Netgears great QA achievements? Anyone else having to deal with this?

Thanks.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 40

Re: R7000 firmware 1.0.9.14 defective?

Updated to newest firmware v1.0.9.14, but lost wir...

Re: R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivit...

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

Re: R7000 installed latest firmware and it broke m...

A simple search of this forum will find you more like that.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 40
HWAM
Apprentice

Same here with V1.0.9.14_1.2.25. Wifi 2.4 stops working and 5 is working fine. I have this problem with the two latest firmware versions. I the past it was working great for months. Last two firmware versions not stable. 

Message 3 of 40
Volstate
Apprentice

For me, I have found running either 2.4 or 5 ghz independently they seem to work fine but if u try and run them together the router crashes constantly.
Message 4 of 40
fishbone
Star

Yes, a simple search for the specific firmware 1.0.9.14 actually did not return any result and V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 worked reasonably well for me.

It's not like this doesn't happen every couple of firmware releases, like this one which took over a year to fix...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-2-4ghz-not-working-but-5ghz-is-fine/m-...

Message 5 of 40

@Volstate wrote:
For me, I have found running either 2.4 or 5 ghz independently they seem to work fine but if u try and run them together the router crashes constantly.

Not sure what "crashes"means, but you may have hit on an important issue here.

How did you separate the two bands? Separate SSIDs or just "Disable Smart Connect" (page 55 in the manual)?

People (particularly one knowall with an attitude problem) have scoffed when I have suggested that using the same SSID for both bands is asking for trouble, partly because it confuses the wifi clients. If this mucks up the R7000, then maybe there is something to the idea after all, regardless of what the technology promises.

It would be interesting to know if other people see the same improvement if they separate 12.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz.

It would also be nice to hear something from Netgear, which seems to have gone to earth on a problem that has hit a ridiculous number of people.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 40
Volstate
Apprentice

By crashing I mean constantly losing connectivity. I separated the two bands by simply disabling it in the control panel. That's the only thing I have found that will keep the router constant. I haven't had one issue of losing connectivity when I run 2.4 or 5 ghz by itself while leaving the other completely shut down.
Message 7 of 40

@Volstate wrote:
By crashing I mean constantly losing connectivity.

OK. Others have reported more serious issues, like routers getting into a constant boot loop. That really is crashing.

@Volstate wrote:
I separated the two bands by simply disabling it in the control panel.

Does "disabling it" mean in "Enable or Disable Smart Connect"?

I ask because you seem to be one of the few people to have found a way to get their wifi to behave, up to a point at least.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 40
fishbone
Star

Ok, 2.4 just doesn't hold up on 1.0.9.14. I downgraded to 1.0.9.12, which previously worked and it now screws up too on 2.4 after a short time.

After patiently dealing with previous disasters on this supposedly high-end Netgear router and since my work actually depends on a stable network I am now blacklisting Netgear and moving on. I'll keep an open ear for fixes so I can sell the Nighthawk to another poor soul.

Message 9 of 40
HWAM
Apprentice

I guess 1.0.9.12 and 1.0.9.14 both have problems. Can you please try with an older version? And reset your router after flashing.
Message 10 of 40
Volstate
Apprentice

I actually did that all the way down to .6 and it still had same issues.  And to clarify an earlier post I made, when i said it loses connectivity I meant it goes into the endless loop of resetting.  Netgear really needs to let it's customers know if they are working on a fix for this issue.  As widespread a problem as this is they may be facing a class action lawsuit if they dont.

Message 11 of 40
gregoryn
Tutor

Oh god, I've been dealing with this all weekend, most notably today.  upgraded on Friday evening. 

I have 1 echo, 2 dots, 2 chromecasts, xbox, and a couple of other wireless devices and it's like a game of spinning plates to keep them all up at the same time!!I  Nothing more frustraiting than watching someting on netflix only to get a lost connection cutout, then a cannot find network error on your chromecast.  reset router to get it back up, 30 minutes later, rinse, repeat.  

This NEVER happened before the firmware upgrade...

Research lead me to do a factory reset, which after exhausting all options, finally did that.  Although, it seems a little better, it's still not keeping all my devices up.  

I'm about at my wits end with this...  The router's a little over a year old and to have this kind of meltdown like this on a device like this really taints my opinion on this product...  

Looking at the forums, apparently I'm not alone.  They've better acknowledge and fix this fast...

Anyone have any luck with fixing this at all?

Message 12 of 40
CeceRae
Aspirant

I seem to be having a similar problem with devises that are new since we installed the R7000.

Message 13 of 40
Timepilot
Guide

Having exactly the same problem - with 2.4G drop out as many other posts

Upgrading F/W didn't help

Factory Reset didn't help

Changed pretty much most settings including channel etc - didn't help

Reset network password - didn't help

Going in and pressing apply on settings works for a while and then wifi drops off again

At a bit of a loss to say why it's now started happening as I hadn't updated f/w for a while and it just started

There does seem to be errors in the logs with [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] - so the clients try and connect and get bounced. Though they are fine when the wifi is restarted.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 14 of 40
gregoryn
Tutor

I guess that's my next step then is disabling the 2.4, I was disapointed this morning to see that AGAIN, two of my echo dots were not functioning due to conectivety issues.  Really disapointing...

Message 15 of 40

Someone in support aimed another victim at these articles:

How do I change the wireless channel on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

How to change your NETGEAR router wireless mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Seems like you have to try anything you can think of to find one that might mend your wifi.

Just another user.

Message 16 of 40
HWAM
Apprentice

I downgraded to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 half an hour ago. I resored the backup from that time and version, it's from october 2016. From that time it was working great for more than a year.

Steps I took:

- Flashed 1.0.7.2_1.1.93

- Reset router, back site little small hole

- Restored the backup which was made with same 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 version

- Added/Changed some minor things, port forwarding, reservations.

Lets see what it does now!!

Message 17 of 40
shoman94
Apprentice

Many complaints about 2.4 being broken but I came here because it effected my 5ghz.  I had the same problem just on a different frequency.  It started with .12 and continued to .14. Then I downgraded to 4 or 5 different firmware and it continued.  So I went back to .14 and then performed a hard reset using the reset button and have been flawless since.  I guess I should have tried a reset first!

Message 18 of 40
HWAM
Apprentice

I am afraid to update again when this old version is stable. A lot of users did a reset with the latest version.
Message 19 of 40
shoman94
Apprentice

Right, the firmware effect me differently and probably why the reset worked.  I'm glad it worked.  Sounds to me like the firmware has some sort of incompatability with certain hardware being used during production.  Maybe they have multiple suppliers for some of the components.

Message 20 of 40

@shoman94 wrote:

I guess I should have tried a reset first!

Thanks for yet another report that this works. But don't get too smug. The sky may still fall in.

The reset thing is so obvious that you wonder why some people like to make fun of anyone who suggests it.

It isn't just the fact that a reset often works, but that there is a logic behind it.

New firmware writes new code into the router's memory. Most of us have to change the settings to get things to work. Those setting also sit alongside the firmware in the memory. There is no guarantee that there won't be conflicts between the old settings and the new firmware. So cleaning out those old settings is the first things to try. (You can even preserve your old settings and restore them if the reset does not work.)

Sure, this shouldn't be necessary,  but, as someone else said, there are just so many things that users do to their settings that it would be hard to test every variation.

Sadly, too many people have not been able to fix their devices with this simple move.

Just another user.

Message 21 of 40
HWAM
Apprentice

No luck for me, 2.4GHz down again, right now. It was up for almost 2 hours after the reset to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93. I don't get it. This version was great for months. The 2.4GHz devices still reply on a ping. How is that possible??? But no webconsole and smartphones still connected but no trafic possible. I am hopeless now.

Message 22 of 40
fishbone
Star

Yes, it runs for a few hours and then dies. I had no problems since the 1.0.4 fiasko up to 1.0.9.12_1.2.23 but that doesn't work either any longer. I'll just live with broken 2.4GHz until I get a replacement router to burn it in never to buy Netgear again.

@Timepilot seems to be on to something further up and it's really up to Netgear to take it from there and not waste our time.

Message 23 of 40
HWAM
Apprentice

Unbelievable but for me the story is exactly the same. Since 1.0.9.12_1.2.23 it is not working anymore. Downgrading and reset hasn't solved it. I guess the newest 2 firmwares broke down the router.
Message 24 of 40
HWAM
Apprentice

I downgraded to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 yesterday. I restored the backup from that time and version, it's from october 2016. From that time it was working great for more than a year.

Steps I took:

- Flashed 1.0.7.2_1.1.93

- Reset router, back site little small hole

- Restored the backup which was made with same 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 version

- Added/Changed some minor things, port forwarding, reservations.

Two hours later same problem. So returning to perfect firmware and perfect configuration is NOT solving the problem. I think the last two updates are ruining the router. I'm hopeless. I think I'm going to buy another brand really soon. Any advice???

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E