Re: R7000 firmware 1.0.9.14 defective?

chert
Apprentice

Been using this new firmware for 2 days now.

So far, no problems at all.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 40
lsummers72
Guide

I've tried downgrading to the old firmware that I knew worked as well and so far nothing has worked to stabilize my connection.  I'll restart the modem manually (can't do it from the app or web interface) and it'll work for a little while (longest stretch has been about 48 hours) before devices won't connect to router or won't connect to the internet.

Message 27 of 40
gregoryn
Tutor

I've finally just given up... I've tried a reset (twice), even a downgrade.  tried renaming my 2.4 and 5 to different ssid's as suggested, lightening candles, etc.  Guess 2 downgrade versions may have done it, but then we aproach the time when it's vunerable with that exploit.  same old song and dance, cant' keep all my wifi objects up.  lan, no problem.  But various echo's, dots, chromecasts, will just suddenly drop.  I'm having to reset this damned router twice a day at least...Screw it, I've just bought a couple of google wifi mesh routers.  Been wanting to give them a try anyway.  Absulutly disgusted having to spend this money just over a year after spending money on this piece of trash...

Message 28 of 40
Slstarr1026
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues after updating. Very frustrating.
Message 29 of 40
HWAM
Apprentice

Yes, Firmware V1.0.9.18_1.2.27 is available now.

Very strange. This morning I got a beta V1.0.9.15_20171207 to test. Why give me a .15 if they publish a .18 the same day!!!

I really don't understand how they work. Unbelievable.

Message 30 of 40

Because they answered you before the new official version landed.

Not that hard to understand. Certainly not worth getting your knickers in a twist.

Remember, these things roll out at different times in different channels.

Does it show in the automated system yet?

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 31 of 40
HWAM
Apprentice

Yeah,. 18 is available now and it's only telling "Security fixes". So if I listen to Netgear this is not going to fix 2.4GHz problems. Or am I wrong? In that case it would be nice if the change log gives me information about bugs related to WiFi.
Message 32 of 40

@HWAM wrote:
In that case it would be nice if the change log gives me information about bugs related to WiFi.

Netgear's release notes are famously useless. Just check a few going back over the years. They only says anything else when they add new features. In this case the only "new feature" is that the thing doesn't fall over.

In this case, it might be correct. Well, almost. If the firmware was designed to mend the KRACK hole, then it is a security fix. That the first security fix caused these side effects could be seen as a part of the same thing.

A more likely explanation than conspiracy theories about self-destructing firmware.

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 33 of 40
gregoryn
Tutor

Guess the million dollar question is, has this update fixed the issue the previous update caused...

Message 34 of 40
HWAM
Apprentice

Who has the guts to update 🙂

Message 35 of 40
fishbone
Star

@gregoryn wrote:

Guess the million dollar question is, has this update fixed the issue the previous update caused...

My less than hundred dollar answer - a TP-Link AC2300 from ebay - fixed the issue with similar but all around newer and better specs. Recommended.

The roughly sixty dollar question is if Netgear manage to fix what they broke so I can craigslist the Nighthawk.

Message 36 of 40
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

I have verified it from our engineers that the latest firmware includes the fix for wireless connectivity issue. Please update the firmware and report back if you have any issues encountered.

Message 37 of 40
nxi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ditto. This is the most expensive SOHO router I've purchased, and also the least reliable. I'.ve never had a router with so many constant issues.

Since the last firmware update connecting to WIFI is hit or miss and it seems some devices miss more than others. I can't connect my business laptop over Wifi unless I reboot the entire router, every single day when I get back from work, yet it connects to every other wifi network throughout the day with no issues.

I don't even trust this garbage router to have something solid like Tomato on it. Thanks Netgear for giving me the incentive to just build a pfSense box.

Message 38 of 40
lsummers72
Guide

I've installed the new firmware and it's working so far.  With the last update, it usually kicked me off overnight, so we'll see if it's working in the morning or not...

Message 39 of 40
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please provide your feedback related on the latest firmware on this thread.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Feedback-for-R7000-New-firmware-1-0-9-18/m-p...

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E