Re: R7000 firmware 1.0.9.34

Topper76
Initiate

R7000 firmware 1.0.9.34

After upgrading the firmware on my r7000 to the latest 1.0.9.34 All of my Wemo devices stopped working, PLEX won’t connect, and some zwave items won’t connect. My Amazon Echo does and my phone and PCs do. But if I roll back to the previous version everything connect fine. There must have been an update to a setting I can’t find. Anyone else run into this?
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 35

@Topper76 wrote:
After upgrading the firmware on my r7000 to the latest 1.0.9.34 All of my Wemo devices stopped working...

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 35
Topper76
Initiate

I did end up doing a factory reset on it, but it didnt seem to correct the items from connecting to the wifi.  So I rolled back to the previous version and within a few minutes everything was back up and connected fine.  Very strange.  I guess I will hold off on the update until the next version comes out and try it.

Message 3 of 35

Strange indeed. Probably best to wait, the R7000 is something of a flagship product, so it gets plenty of attention at the Netgear end.

If you are feeling like a masochist, you could try the new firmware again. I have seen reports here of that trick fixing issues, possibly because the original flash didn't take.

You might also want to check that you have the latest firmware for your other devices. The recent Google Android/Chromecast incident showed that dodgy firmware for these things can cause havoc.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 35
timbo83251
Aspirant

YES!  I am having the same issues, glad it's not just me.  This was definitely a bad firmware release.   Streaming over wifi is terrible now on Roku and firestick, and my phone is also losing connection.  I am going to revert back to .32 now...

Message 5 of 35
Stiansen
Initiate

Seem to be having the same problem. My hub (Vera) goes down due to the 2.4ghz not wokring properly.

Seems to me to be the same problem I had earlier where I in the end got a firmware beta which seemed to help. It's been working for a long time now but the day after I upgraded I lost connection to my Z-wave hub....

See here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/2-4Ghz-stops-working-5Ghz-fine/m-p/1498899#M...

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router,R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 35
Nug0311
Tutor

I have had issues with devices connecting too.  Specifically I noticed my wive had chewed up our entire data plan from our wireless service providor.  I have also noticed issues with amazon echo and echo dots.  My setup has all of my echo devices in a group so I can play Iheartradio on the "All Devices Group"  This allows all devices to playback syncronized.  I can't get the device group to play anymore. Each one can play the station invidudualy but when trying to play in the group it fails to play.  I only noticed this after the firmware update it used to work fine.  I did not know rollback was an option.  I may do this until this issue is resolved.  Anyone got an idea what is causing the communication error?

Message 7 of 35
Nug0311
Tutor

Also I forgot to mention my chromecast had problems too.  I actually had to re-add the connection for it to work.  I may try to do this with my Amazon Echos to see if it resolves the issue.  Odd they are connected but having intermitted issues...

Message 8 of 35

@Nug0311 wrote:

Also I forgot to mention my chromecast had problems too. 

Google delivered an early Christmas present late last year, when it unleashed some crummy code for Chromecast and Android. This resulted in a "wifi flood" that knocked out wifi on equipment from many suppliers. The industry, including Google and various network chipset makers, had to rush out patches to deal with the problem.

While router makers and some Google stuff received updates, there have been reports that some Google kit didn't get automatic updates, leaving users to work out what was going on and to find their own updates.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 35
Warna
Guide

Under Firmware 1.0.9.34, my internet speed test went from 220mb/s download to 130mb/s.

Also the router is very unstable and just freeze up at least 2-3 times a week. I must reboot it to get it back on.

I tested with a computer pluggued straight in the modem and I got my speed back.

This firmware is definitly broken.

Message 10 of 35
Warna
Guide

Forget the slow speed part, the QoS was causing the problem. After a few tuning, it's back to 200mb/s++ I just need some stability now so I don't have to reboot the router so often.
Message 11 of 35

I guess I am the only one here who is having perfectly good wi-fi and and ethernet performance on 1.0.9.34.

Its been solid.  Have a family member who works from home..  I'd hear about it if there were one hiccup, lag, drop, cutout or restart.  Nope..  crickets..  its just working for me. 

I don't use VPN, or storage..  I don't have a need to access my home remotely..  and I have a real NAS.  I'm using Address Reservation, a few static IPs, DynDNS and Access Control.  I get a weekly email of my logs,  I think I tried 5-6 builds of 1.0.9.x unsuccessfully, constantly reverting back to 1.0.7.6 before stumbling on .34.  I had lost faith and was starting to shop for something new.  I have a mix of devices, old, new, and every OS (windows, MAC and Linux).  How is it that so many others are having such extreme performance issues? 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 12 of 35
Warna
Guide

My performance issues were directly tied to the QoS settings. I overwritten the 9.34 firmware with the same 9.34 just in case I had a bad update using the auto update last time.
Same bad performance.
I did a " Automatically update performance optimization database" but it didn't fix my problem. So I disabled the whole QoS, did a reboot, re enabled it and did an other " Automatically update performance optimization database" and so far I got my speed back.

Now I am just waiting to see if the router start choking again. I want to try to completely shut the QoS off if it does and see if every problems are related to the QoS under 9.34.
Message 13 of 35
Xash
Guide

I tried reverting back to old firmware and my QoS is just broken and I use it to stream. Basically the router picks bandwidth priorities on it's own and if I change them they just revert back when I hit apply. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I get 25 upload and can't even stream at 3000 anymore with dropping frames.
Message 14 of 35
Warna
Guide

I turned off my QoS on mine. When QoS is on, the router become unresponsive and barely handle any bandwidth. I got to the point where I am not sure if my router just reached his end of life or it's just a firmware issue.
Message 15 of 35
jknacnud
Tutor

I am seeing this behavior on my device also. Very frustrating. Should not have updated my firmware, apparently. Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 35
Xash
Guide

After playing around with the settings I've seem to fix the issue sort of. I can't stream at all if I turn off QoS so that wasn't an option I tried that already. I went into QoS and just turned off Dynamic and started using the Advance QoS and just went in and left everything in the house on normal and put my PC on HIGHEST priority. I still drop 1% or so frames but it's wayyyyyy better now. 

Message 17 of 35
drewlover
Tutor

I signed up JUST to jump in on this topic.

The 1.0.9.34 firmware is absolute trash, and has completely destroyed my network. Talk about a huge pain in the ass, and complicated to test. I had the ISP out 5 times in the last month, in which they replaced the line to the house, replaced connectors on every coax, and even called node maintenance to test noise on the line/etc because of a shoddy firmware update.

Does anyone at Netgear even know what testing is? How the hell did this get released?

Rolling back to 1.0.9.32_10 fixed everything within seconds, and can be A/B tested pretty plainly and obviously.

Issues noticed:
* QoS is still a joke on this device, don't bother enabling it EVER or risk having to factory reset your device

* Consistently dropping devices from WiFi

* Poor connectivity

* Poor sustained transfers on both LAN and WAN (noticible in speed tests easily)

* UPnP services absolutely fail

I'm thoroughly disgusted that something so obviously causing issues from reading these forums hasn't been formally addressed and/or resolved by Netgear. I know this is a community site, but any half-assed company has a community manager that should be on top of this type of crap.

Message 18 of 35

Greetings,

My R7000 is 100% stable on 1.0.9.34 (3 yrs with this hardware)

My R8000P (which has some bugs) is also 100% stable (3 days with this hardware)

Both of these FW's have been bashed by the community and I have both running stable. 

Anyone who hasn't updated their FW from a PC connected via ethernet and reset their routers should do so before claiming poor performance.   

Message 19 of 35
Nug0311
Tutor

It’s not bashing we are trying to find a solution. You also should not have to clear all your router settings for a firmware update. Depending on setup this could be a job that takes a few hours. So let me guess all of your Alexa devices are working properly since the update? Or perhaps you don’t have any so wouldn’t be included in this issue. Go find another message board to troll. We are hoping for constructive feedback here for real issues.
Message 20 of 35
jknacnud
Tutor

I downgraded to 1.0.9.32 and all my devices are working again.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059134/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-32

Message 21 of 35
MightyHandy
Guide

These posts saved me!  My R7000 is running in Access Point Mode.  With the latest firmware my 2.4Ghz wifi dropped down to 10% its original speed (even when standing ontop of the router).  I don't have these problems using ethernet or 5ghz.  Reverting to: V1.0.9.28_10.2.32 solved the problem.  

Message 22 of 35

@Nug0311 wrote:
It’s not bashing we are trying to find a solution. You also should not have to clear all your router settings for a firmware update. Depending on setup this could be a job that takes a few hours. So let me guess all of your Alexa devices are working properly since the update? Or perhaps you don’t have any so wouldn’t be included in this issue. Go find another message board to troll. We are hoping for constructive feedback here for real issues.

I don't troll.  I've been a contributing member here for years.  Much longer than you I'm quite sure.  No, I don't use Alexa.  If you seach for FW 1.0.9.34, the majority of posts you see are from people who are frustrated and unhappy after upgrade.  I've seen the words, crap, trash and horrible used.  The same goes for 1.4.1.24 (R8000P) which I also own and it too is running stable for several days now without the major complaint of a "disconnecting internet and I have reboot once a day requirement".  So what am I suppose to say?  That I'm just lucky that I have two routers one of which I purchased only days ago running FW (stable) that others are reporting major issues with.

In the majority of cases, people use Genie or the routers GUI, to check and/or auto-update their FW.  Well, I can tell you after years of using the brand that this works...  until it doesn't.  This has been known to cause issue and in many cases results in a incomplete or corrupt flash, or other undesired behaviors. 

Regarding reset, yes, in most cases you don't need to reset, but when the FW or features introduced in a newer FW vary greatly from the revision you upgraded from, things sometimes do not work as expected, so resetting and setting up from scratch (as painful as it can be) has proven to be a reliable method for restoring stability and function. 

So save your ridicule for someone else who doesn't care or want to support Netgear's product.  I've helped many many users here over the years.       

Message 23 of 35

@shadowsports wrote:

Regarding reset, yes, in most cases you don't need to reset, but when the FW or features introduced in a newer FW vary greatly from the revision you upgraded from, things sometimes do not work as expected, so resetting and setting up from scratch (as painful as it can be) has proven to be a reliable method for restoring stability and function. 

This is very important advice. Ignore it at your peril.

No, we should not have to reset a router after a firmware flash, but as @shadowsports says, it is sometimes needed.

This is true for pretty well every brand of router you care to look at. That is probably because most of them buy in their comms chips from the same small group of suppliers.

If you want to make your grievance known, add your vote here:

Never rebuild a configuration from scratch again! - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

Message 24 of 35
Warna
Guide

Since this community forum's main purpose is to get our router working I can add this to my case.

- My router is used as a "router" not an AP or Repeater.

- My router is hooked right behind my IPS "modem" and not an other router provided by most ISP.

- My connection is 200Mb down / 30Mb up so nothing the R7000 can't handle.

- I got a small personnal virtual setup. VMWare ESXi host with 2 VMs. Mostly for torrents/sharing files and movies/making a backup of everything at home, hosting game servers, FTP, etc.

- I got many devices on my network like smartphones, xbox, computers, wifi security camera.

Everything used to work fine and was very smooth with QoS on, after tuning all the QoS for every devices/services.

Since firmware 1.0.9.34, it's a nightmare. The QoS just kills my R7000 even though I did the whole QoS config from scratch again and also did an update now on  "update performance optimization database".

I revert on 1.0.9.32 but did not reactivated my QoS yet. I wasted too much time lately with that.

- I am no network engineer but I am CCNA and work as a system admin for years. I got enough knowledge to handle some troubleshooting and to handle this level of networking.

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements