Highlighted
Follower

R7000 firmware V1.0.9.32_10.2.34 update OpenVPN X509 error

There have been extensive posts about VPN issues because of MD5 signatures. I installed the latest firmware V1.0.9.32_10.2.34 for R7000 however, Openvpn is still broken. On android, I am getting X509 error. Essentially, the certs are not signed correctly. 

Can someone please help?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: R7000 firmware V1.0.9.32_10.2.34 update OpenVPN X509 error

I installed it today. Didnt even get to testing Android. The update when using VPN somehow corrupted my modem. As far as the R7000 the update caused problems for many IOT devices which ran flawlessly on what I was running before V1.0.9.6_1.2.19. NG technical support is a joke. One year plus to get a more secure VPN update then the release of something that causes so many problems and doesnt even resolve the VPN issue. NG sould be sued and I encourage people to write to the Wall Street Journal. Frankly I think the only way the CEO and the company will listen is if the stock price is cratered on bad news such as thie VPN flaw which deserves MUCH more publicity. I'm furious. This will be my last NG product. Its unreliable and support is non existant. 

Message 2 of 4
Highlighted

I suggest you to check you VPN keys using telnet. Before the release of firmware V1.0.9.32_10.2.34, I'd already updated my OpenVPN keys following this tutorial and I have no issues after the update (look for the PDF file with the instructions). Maybe there is a problem with your OpenVPN keys after the update, which you can back up and replace them by new ones you generate by yourself using Easy-RSA.

In my case, I've created a new CA, a new server key and a new client key. Also, you can create other clients keys with the same CA and everyone can access your router's VPN with its own key at the same time. In other words, it won't be necessary to share only one key (client) and in case you get one key compromised, you can revoke only the compromised key (Actually, I'm still working on the latter Smiley Very Happy).

Best regards.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Apprentice

As an update, I reset my modem and reinstalled the IOT devices which were problematic after the upgrade. The router worked fine after that. Then I installed OpenVPN for Android and Windows and both work fine. So all is well. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements