Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 firmware update failure

kchaosrei
Aspirant

R7000 firmware update failure

Hi,

I picked up what seemed to be a fully functional router, this is my 2nd r7000 and i havfe no problems with the first one. Everything is working except the update system on the R7000. I just trying to update firm to latest verision from netgear. Uploading the file from PC fails and accessing website through router software also fails. 

When attempting to upload the file from PC screen says it is timing out but can press side menu to bring back the screen at any time clicking side menu buttons.

Current Firmware v1.0.5.64_1.1.88

Been unable to tftp file into router. I have not been able to find clear working intrusctions to get the router into a mode that a mode tht will allow teh tftp

Looking for any soultion

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
kchaosrei
Aspirant

Re: R7000 firmware update failure

I found a personal work around that I  normally would not even attempt or advise, but thought I would share. I was able to flash the router to current verison firmware by using the wireless connection to the router.  I did this with the understanding that if did brick the router; I was going to open it up and use USB to pin connection to get a terminal access. 

I still do not know why fireware file uploads from a LAN were timing out and why it would refuse to download from the netgear server.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] Uploading the file from PC fails and accessing website through
> router software also fails.

Do you think that "fails" is a useful description of what you did or
what happened when you did it?  (Hint: It's not.)  As usual, showing
actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.  Copy+paste is your friend.

> When attempting to upload the file from PC screen says it is timing
> out but can press side menu to bring back the screen at any time
> clicking side menu buttons.

I don't know what any of that means.

> Been unable to tftp file into router. [...]

Re: "unable", see "fails", above.

> Looking for any soultion

Looking for a clear description of what you did, and what happened
when you did it.

Message 2 of 4
kchaosrei
Aspirant

I cant copy past teh damn thing. It flash on the sreen for one sec. Then goes back to the main page for the of the neatgear genie access page. It says failure to download check internet. The Internet is working fine. The router is telling that it is out of date and can see the new version just can not succesfully pull the imgage

TFTP failure is generic could not access message. Again I am not able to find clear instuctions on how to prepare the R7000 to take a TFTP file. Netgear site says wait for flashing green light in this arcticle https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP . The R7000 does not have green LEDs. 

File upload from from PC. On the left of the web insterface is a menu selection area. When I select the file to upload main section of the screen timeouts. No progress bar. If i click anythign on the left hand side where ( setup, usb fuction, security ,administration, ect is listed), the main area will tansition to the newly selected screen. 

Does not matter if the R7000 is in router mode or AP mode. same problems at all times. 

Message 3 of 4
kchaosrei
Aspirant

I found a personal work around that I  normally would not even attempt or advise, but thought I would share. I was able to flash the router to current verison firmware by using the wireless connection to the router.  I did this with the understanding that if did brick the router; I was going to open it up and use USB to pin connection to get a terminal access. 

I still do not know why fireware file uploads from a LAN were timing out and why it would refuse to download from the netgear server.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7