Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 firmware update killed my download and upload speed

RonFL
Guide

A few days ago, I received a sales-related email from NetGear and while skimming through the ad learned that NetGear Genie had been replaced by the Nighthawk App, which I downloaded to my Iphone.  Once I opened the app, there was a flag advising of a firmware update (V1.0.9.88) that was available. I downloaded the firmware update and everything seemed to install smoothly and no problems occurred. In the days since then, my internet download speeds went from 160mps to 31mps or sometimes 42mps on a ggod day, and upload speed went from 12-14mps down to <1mps to maybe 1.44mps. My PC is connected to the router by ethernet cable, and the WiFi speeds on my laptop and Iphone are no better. Extremely frustrating, especially since I do a ton of work from home, even more so now, and my teen son is a gamer. I'd appreciate suggestions on what I can do to get my speeds back to normal, even if I need to roll back to whatever my previous firmware was (which I'll need instructions to do).  Thanks for any guidance .....

Ron

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: R7000 firmware update killed my download and upload speed

@RonFL wrote:

How do I back-up my router settings?

Check the manual.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find the documentation, and, if there are any, firmware versions and drivers for your hardware.

See the section in the manual Manage the Router Configuration File and the bit Back Up Settings.

Best done through the browser interface.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] (V1.0.9.88) [...]

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1875519

Message 2 of 11
RonFL
Guide

Thanks for the link to the other thread. Somewhat different issue than mine, but similar enough that I tried the suggestion to roll back the firmware to V1.0.9.42, with marginal improvement. Now, my wireless download speed has improved to between 82mps and 89 mbs, wireless upload speed is only between 1.1mps and 1.7mps; but both ethernet download and upload are between 1.1mps and 1.6mps. I had the Comcast Tech come out and I'm getting 250mps on both sides of my modem, so the initial firmware update I did has caused something that is making the router choke off all of my speed. Any suggestions about what to try next would be appreciated ....

Ron 

Message 3 of 11

@RonFL wrote:

Any suggestions about what to try next would be appreciated ....

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 4 of 11
RonFL
Guide

I haven't done the factory reset yet, but I will try that next. How do I back-up my router settings? Is that done through the Genie desktop app or the Nighthawk app?

Message 5 of 11

@RonFL wrote:

How do I back-up my router settings?

Check the manual.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find the documentation, and, if there are any, firmware versions and drivers for your hardware.

See the section in the manual Manage the Router Configuration File and the bit Back Up Settings.

Best done through the browser interface.

Message 6 of 11
RonFL
Guide

This seems to have worked. The factory reset after the firmware downgrade/rollback has brought my download speed back to 225mps-245mps, and upload is back to 11.7mps-12.2mps. I haven't clicked on "solution" just yet though, because now the Nighthawk app on my Iphone and the Genie app on my desktop PC no longer identify the devices connected to the R7000 router, and only identify them as "unknown" in the Nighthawk app, and with a generic icon and a question mark in the Genie app on my desktop, when I use to get an icon resembling what the device was (pc, tablet, phone, google or amazon speaker, etc.) and the device's official device name (from the device, not something manually entered). I know it seems trivial now that I have my internet speed back, but I use the Nighthawk app to turn off router/internet access to certain devices (I have teenagers) at certain times, so I need to be able to know which devices are on so I know which I want to turn off access for. Refreshing the apps doesn't resolve the issue, neither does logging out and logging back in. Do I need to delete the Nighthawk app in favor of the Genie iOS app it replaced (assuming I can still get it in the app store)?  Any other suggestions welcomed ......

Message 7 of 11

@RonFL wrote:

Do I need to delete the Nighthawk app in favor of the Genie iOS app it replaced (assuming I can still get it in the app store)?  Any other suggestions welcomed ......

That won't work. The Nighthawk app replaces the Genie. It is not an alternative.

Message 8 of 11
RonFL
Guide

Ok, then suggestions on what may work or what to try so I can actually see and tell what devices are connected in the Nighthawk app and the Genie desktop app would be appreciated ......

Message 9 of 11
labatt
Mentor

Getting accurate connected devices has been broken in various firmwares for over a year. 

Message 10 of 11
RonFL
Guide

I've read in other threads that V1.0.9.42 was by consensus the last decent firmware release, which is what I downgraded to ......

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7