Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 firmware update - when, why so slow?!

Endeavour79
Follower

R7000 firmware update - when, why so slow?!

Hi, after the faulty v1.60 firmware was pulled from the server we're left with an outdated, feature lacking version 1.40.

I am wondering:

1. When to expect a new, fixed version to be released?
  2. Why the firmware support for "older" models is so painful slow when most users are using these devices?
  3. If Netgear wants to "force" costly hardware upgrades when older routers could do the same job perfectly fine.

Very frustrating!

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Cognizant1
Tutor

Hi James,

I would mark this as my accepted solution but it won't since I didn't start this topic.

The update to this Beta (1.0.5.62) was a good choice for me. I still experiencing a little speed fluctuation with the 2.4ghz channel but right now it's acceptable.

Since I set up the router when first bought to automatically update firmware how do I change that so it doesn't so I don't have the same problem when

it forced the 1.0.6.28 which messed up the speed and stability I got from the one before that the 1.0.5....

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
RMinNJ
Luminary

What features are you looking for? What fix?
Message 2 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Message 3 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi Endeavour79,

Please provide an update or any feedback when using the beta firmware. Your information will be helpful to us.

Message 4 of 15
Cognizant1
Tutor

Me too. I will never set my router to auto update any more after recent loss of wifi speed.

It was running great a month and a half ago. Within last 25 days every thing dropped off. Speeds and dropping connectivity.

What can I do. Reset to original firmware and then flash firmware.

Also by the way Netgear. It would be great to have a Video to show all people who are laypeople who know a little but not all

about computers but can follow directions very well. Show exactly step by step how to manually install firmware and the differences between

just a reset, hard reset, reboot. Sometimes confusing.

Thanks. Should we all go back to the Beta of 1.0.5...? or is the 1.0.4.30 a better one also dates would be good when released,(sorry if I missed it and they

are there).

Message 5 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi Cognizant1,

There is a KB article on how to update the firmware manually and also it is included in the release notes for each firmware. You may try to use the beta firmware v1.0.5.60 if you still have issues with other firmwares.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-FW-1-0-5-60/m-p/1070857#M30302

Message 6 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi Cognizant1,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!
Message 7 of 15
Cognizant1
Tutor

I tried to and reverted back to 1.0.4.30 and it seems to be worse than when I was on 1.0.6.28.. I am going to try the beta 1.0.5.60.

I was getting great speed from when the first Arlo stuff was added to the router and all I did was uncheck it because I don't have it and applied those other settings.Otherwise all the other default settings where okay. I know the auto feature was improved from at least for me after 1.0.4.30.

I know I need to reset the router before and after with holding the reset button for 10 secs. Should I also power cylce my modem (Arris 722G Telephony) Comcast and is Not a Gateway before I load the firmware?

I also read in one of the community articles to improve Wifi on 2.4ghz is:

1. to make sure WMM is enabled and Qos is off or not checked.

2. Maker sure 20/40 co-existance is unchecked disabled.

3. Also for security to uncheck to UnPnP (could someone verify this?)?

4. On my wifi adapter should I uncheck ther IPv6 box in properties?

5.  Any other suggestions past this would be great.

I know TheEther helpe greatly on how to Downgrade firmware but forgot to ask about Reset modem before doing the Reset or After.

I am not an advanced Router techie but would like my home network to work well since I am living within a town home and always see 12 other router's broadcasting their home network. I also know we have cinderblock btw each one.

Message 8 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi Cognizant1,

You may try those 4 suggestions of the 2.4Ghz is still having issues with the beta firmware but I believe the beta firmware is working fine already when it comes to performance. Also there is a new beta for stability you may need to use instead.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-FW-1-0-5-62/m-p/1078114#U1078114

Message 9 of 15
Cognizant1
Tutor

Hi James,

I wish I would of waited and not done it yesterday so I could of got the latest Beta of the 1.0.5.62 because the .60 has not solved my slow 2.4ghz channel

even the 5ghz is not as great. I don't know what the very first firmware that included Arlo was because it was pulled. That one actually worked great for me by applying the settings I mentioned. My whole system of Laptop, Iphone 6, Roku 2 and HP wireless printer worked flawlessy and fast. I would really like to go back to that one.

So in the last 4 days I have changed firmware 3 times. The 1.0.4.30 even though everyone says is a great stable build didn't work very well for me slow speeds all around.

When I have time I will flash the 1.0.5.62 beta. I have a couple questions.

I know I have to reset before and after the firmware update. When resetting router should you disconnect computer(ehternet cable) from router until it's reset? I always remove other client(Roku, xbox) ethernet cables from router. Should I after installing reset the modem as well or is that unnecessary? I really think that you guys should list "Every" step no matter how insignificant on doing the manual firmware for those not so well technically inclined. I know I have asked this before and hope it makes a difference.

Message 10 of 15
lepa71
Guide

You shouldn't have to reset your router unless it is specifically state it in the instructions or you are having issues after upgrade.

Message 11 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi Cognizant1,

If it is convenient for you to remove the devices connected to it, then that would be ok. Actually you can reset the router even without removing the devices connected to it. 

Message 12 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi Cognizant1,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 13 of 15
Cognizant1
Tutor

Hi James,

I would mark this as my accepted solution but it won't since I didn't start this topic.

The update to this Beta (1.0.5.62) was a good choice for me. I still experiencing a little speed fluctuation with the 2.4ghz channel but right now it's acceptable.

Since I set up the router when first bought to automatically update firmware how do I change that so it doesn't so I don't have the same problem when

it forced the 1.0.6.28 which messed up the speed and stability I got from the one before that the 1.0.5....

Message 14 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi Cognizant1,

Thank you for your feedback.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7