Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 guest wifi

Mezrien
Tutor

R7000 guest wifi

Hey guys, recently purchased the R7000 and so far am loving it. Love the network map seeing who connects and how. I am currently using the guest access wifi for my childrens devices, and was curious if there is any way to set the guest wifi so its on from a certain time to a certain time. I.e, guest wifi turns on at 3pm, monday through friday and turns off at 9pm monday through thursday then on again saturday morning at 8am off at 9pm. Can this be done? I've been scouring around the genie app and the weblet, but havent found anything yet. I know about the parental controls for disabling all wifi, but I dont want to disable all of it as I use the normal wifi for my streaming tv's.

Suggestions?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R7000 guest wifi

No Problem I didn't mean it to sound that way.

I'm turning 60 soon and never Never NEVER thought I would use 3rd party until about 2 months. I didn't care if the router bricked or not It was a freebie as a Beta Testor.

Anyway it's like getting a new car .....you know when all the stuff works as you expected them too. Trust me it's a great option and if run into a problem just tell Netgear it won't power up. They have no way of knowing you used 3rd party unless you tell them. Besides they route their calls to 4th world service centers.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Doesn't look like it? There are controls for the normal 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID's but I didn't see anything about the Guest ID's.

Message 2 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Switch to Xwrt-Vortex problem solved! Or return the r7000 for ASUS which offers it in their OEM FW

control.png

this stock ASUS FW you bought the wrong router for parental controls

asus stock FW.png

Message 3 of 10
Mezrien
Tutor

Ok, so with  Xwrt-Vortex firmware I'll be able to control time limits on the guest wifi specifically? I tried googling it but for some reason my work connection blocks it, can you give me more information on how to install it and how it works etc?

Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 5 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No you control the kids devices via their MAC Adrresses no  guest required

Message 6 of 10
Mezrien
Tutor

Well poo, reading here it looks like they are ending support of it due to certification reasons, 😞 Grrr, I just got this dang thing I really dont want to have to go get a different one again...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2432343

Message 7 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Don't kid yourself netgear support of OEM is almost as bad as no support. It's like a trojan with a pin sized hole in it. 

You asked a question and I gave you several solutions.

One requires erasing or defaulting to factory defaults and then loading XWRT-Vortex and your done.

When you want to revert to OEM you load a different fw specifically made to return to OEM. All this information is found in the link i gave you. 

The other option is return the router for one with real controls in their stock OEM firmware.

3rd deal with it as is.

Good Luck,

Message 8 of 10
Mezrien
Tutor

Sorry didnt mean to sound ungreatful there, just fustrating ya know? Ive gotten lazy in my elder years and just want it to work. LOL

Message 9 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No Problem I didn't mean it to sound that way.

I'm turning 60 soon and never Never NEVER thought I would use 3rd party until about 2 months. I didn't care if the router bricked or not It was a freebie as a Beta Testor.

Anyway it's like getting a new car .....you know when all the stuff works as you expected them too. Trust me it's a great option and if run into a problem just tell Netgear it won't power up. They have no way of knowing you used 3rd party unless you tell them. Besides they route their calls to 4th world service centers.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7