R7000 hardware revision

Aqua1ung
Luminary

R7000 hardware revision

I just checked with BB, and they are currently stocking R7000 rev. 26. My R7000 is rev. 9 :o. Anybody knows what could be the major hardware differences b/w the two HW revisions?
Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R7000 hardware revision

Could those be production runs rather than actual hardware changes? I have rev19
Message 2 of 12
Find_the_Door
Luminary

I've got r26 (the newest one with Godzilla sticker on the box).

It's worth getting the Geek Squad protection plan so that you can swap it for a new one at anytime with routers they never check anything.
Message 3 of 12
Aqua1ung
Luminary

Find_the_Door wrote:
It's worth getting the Geek Squad protection plan so that you can swap it for a new one at anytime with routers they never check anything.

Are there any risks associated with with purchasing a new one from BB, and returning my old one for a refund a week later (under some pretext or other)?:D
Message 4 of 12
jsmiddleton4
Luminary

Mine says R17 and it runs great and overclocks to 1400 reliably.
Message 5 of 12
Lexist2112
Luminary

Yeah I had the R17 and just saw the R26 with the Godzilla sticker on it yesterday at Frys. When I had the version R17, ran well, unfortunately I sold it to a friend and replaced it with the WRT1900AC.

Will be looking forward to the R7500 and the AC3200 routers from both Netgear and Asus. Honestly, I don't know how Netgear is going to support 2 AC routers, and yes the R8000 will be their flagship router. Wonder if we should wait until their at least 3 FW into it before purchasing?????
Message 6 of 12
Ragdd
Luminary

Where can you find the hardware version.

On the label beneeth the router itself, on the cardboard box or in the firmware of the router?
Message 7 of 12
Redtulips7
Luminary

Aqua1ung wrote:
Are there any risks associated with with purchasing a new one from BB, and returning my old one for a refund a week later (under some pretext or other)?:D

R is not stand fro hardware revision but V does!!!If you are planing:D to return/exchange or swap the Router your problem will remain as same!!!only Netgear new firmware release will solve your problem...
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 8 of 12
Aqua1ung
Luminary

Ragdd wrote:
Where can you find the hardware version? On the label beneath the router itself, on the cardboard box or in the firmware of the router?

People seem to be assuming that you can read that off from the S/N: mine ends in "R9," so, following hints from others, I assumed that stands for "(hardware) revision." Redtulips7 however seems to disagree (see above post), and I am inclined to think that he is right, so maybe that represents the "production run" as searay opined above. At any rate, I, personally, am happy with mine so far, and makes a good pair with the EX6200. No complaints.
Message 9 of 12
bobcageon
Luminary

Aqua1ung wrote:

Only if the info on the box has to match the info on the units upc
Message 10 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Aqua1ung wrote:
People seem to be assuming that you can read that off from the S/N: mine ends in "R9," so, following hints from others, I assumed that stands for "(hardware) revision." Redtulips7 however seems to disagree (see above post), and I am inclined to think that he is right, so maybe that represents the "production run" as searay opined above. At any rate, I, personally, am happy with mine so far, and makes a good pair with the EX6200. No complaints.

On the box it is NOT the S/N, but the TA data. Mine ends in R17, and I'd bet it is the production run.

I can find NOTHING on the box or router that has the 'Rev' on it either, only the R17 at the end of TA (whatever that stands for?).

Additionally, my router was RMA'ed and the box came back with a sticker on it that matched my old router's S/N (I discovered when I tried to register it it was already registered to me?). I don't know if this means just the sticker was changed on a box to match my old one, my old one was 'repaired' (it took a week to get to me from the time they got it), or I got a refurbished one with my old S/N applied.
Message 11 of 12
Cybercare
Luminary

This has all been talked about already.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=91616&page=2

That last post I made is official response regarding the question/concern.

The R just indicates SOMETHING was changed, this occurs if a newer FW is loaded by default, a different color black used on the plastic, a newer manual due to newer FW and so on.

Nothing internal HW has changed since the first few months of original release.
They did change manufacture locations but the same specs are being used, the location change also resulted in a R change.

Basically if you have no issues don't worry. If you do, well you just have a random defective unit. Use the warranty services.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E