Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000 iOS Devices Capped at 30 Mbps

When I first installed my R7000, there were no issues with my several iOS devices - all could achieve WAN wire speed of around 100-105 Mbps using the Speectest app to the nearest server to my home...(of course, I also have the general 5 ghz slow downs and router lock ups, but thats a different issue)

Somewhere along the line, with some Netgear firmware update, I am finding that all my iOS devices (all running 7.1.1) cannot achieve more than a 30 Mbps download speed. I've tried stepping the Netgear firmware down several version to the version that shipped with the unit, but it doesn't change things (I'm wondering if once the upgrades permanently flashed some aspect of the router than downgrading can't "unlash"

My desktop Macs and PC's on Wifi don't show the issue, and my iOS devices, when connecting to an Apple Airport network (latest versions) have no issue achieving the 100-105 Mbps WAN wire speeds, so I know its not the iPhones or iPads (nor would one suspect all had issues simultaneously.

Netgear tech support had me try different channels, changing the Fragmentation and CTS values to 2304, resetting the router, and I tried disabling Beamforming and Airtime Fairness to no avail. I have no other 5 GHz interference, and don't live close to any neighbors (checked with WiFi Explorer)

There have been no iOS updates in this time, so one the Netgear firmware updates seems to have borked iOS connectivity.
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: R7000 iOS Devices Capped at 30 Mbps

(I'm wondering if once the upgrades permanently flashed some aspect of the router than downgrading can't "unlash"

Make sure to hard reset the router and manually configure it
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Make sure to hard reset the router and manually configure it

Hard reset via the button? Yes, I did this...

Is what I'm describing something you've heard of?

I just tried the latest beta, no difference..

Thanks
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted

None my iOS devices have any kind of speed cap.
Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did another reset, and speeds are back to normal.... Very curious what might cause that issue only with my iOS devices... Well, there seems to be so many issues with the R7000 I shouldn't be surprised...thanks for the help
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

When you did hard reset did you lost all your setting? If not you may didn't do the reset correctly on your few reset attempt .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Don't know what version of iPhone and such that you have but I have a iPhone 4s and I get the best link rate and data speeds since my iPhone does not support the 5 GHz Freq. By making sure the Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence is unchecked in the Advanced Setup-Wireless Settings. I know the Pros and Cons against doing this with interference and conflicts and all. But if your device can connect to the 5 GHz Freq make sure it is connected this is a lot less crowded with home networks. What I have done with my iPad 4 so it always connects to the 5GHz Network is make sure that is the only network connection enabled in my home on my iPad.
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted

No Cap... Its likely the wireless settings you have chosen, or can be resolved by a reset as June suggests.

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm also having the same problem, I have 300mbps down 20mbps up and I am barely getting 30-40mbps.
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I see no difference concerning speeds between any IOS device and my last 3 netgear routers. Many things effect speed test, check what's running on IOS, some apps use more resources and may be the reason.

My iphone 4s best DL is 45Mbps My iPadAir hits 110Mbps.

ISP speed is 120Mbps I see no issue and if it was any higher who needs it anyway. 30 to 40 should handle any app on these hand held devices.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements