Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 in AP mode Shows Wired Connections Not Connected To It

Gandolph
Star

R7000 in AP mode Shows Wired Connections Not Connected To It

Not sure if this is right or wrong.  I have my R7000 set-up in AP mode and connected to my 28 port Cisco switch on port 25, the switch is then Trunked to my Uverse gateway for internet access on port 27.  Since the R7000 is downstream of the switch and Gateway with no direct connections on any of it's 4 ports I didnt expect to see any wired devices show up on it's connected devices page.  However I am seeing all wired devices on my network being reported as "connected" to the R7000 when viewing the R7000 connected devices page.  Is this normal, or do I need to change my switch configuration in some way? (It is a managed SG300-28, so I can make further modifications if required.)

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

@Gandolph wrote:

Not sure if this is right or wrong.  I have my R7000 set-up in AP mode and connected to my 28 port Cisco switch on port 25, the switch is then Trunked to my Uverse gateway for internet access on port 27.  Since the R7000 is downstream of the switch and Gateway with no direct connections on any of it's 4 ports I didnt expect to see any wired devices show up on it's connected devices page.  However I am seeing all wired devices on my network being reported as "connected" to the R7000 when viewing the R7000 connected devices page.  Is this normal, or do I need to change my switch configuration in some way? (It is a managed SG300-28, so I can make further modifications if required.)

It's Layer2 ARP. I suspect, your network, like mine, is one subnet (broadcast / collision domain)? As I see all my devices, on my AP's also. R7000's running different fw, but in AP mode. If you could see that ARP cache, on your AP, you would see it refelcts the AP's attached devices list.

I suspect @Wolf_666 may be running a seperate VLAN (subnet) for his AP, and, or, clients, and would only see those devices that are in that broadcast domain.

ARP: http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry/course/inet-pages/arp.html

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Wolf_666
Luminary

I have the same configuration, R7000 as AP, connected to a Switch then to pfSense router/firewall and I see only the connected clients in R7000's GUI, I mean the only directly connected to R7000. Your scenario is strange to me.

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Every Netgear router I ever used when in AP Mode showed every device Attached to the Network as wired if Not attached directly via Wireless to AP.

Message 3 of 6
netwrks
Master

@Gandolph wrote:

It's Layer2 ARP. I suspect, your network, like mine, is one subnet (broadcast / collision domain)? As I see all my devices, on my AP's also. R7000's running different fw, but in AP mode. If you could see that ARP cache, on your AP, you would see it refelcts the AP's attached devices list.

I suspect @Wolf_666 may be running a seperate VLAN (subnet) for his AP, and, or, clients, and would only see those devices that are in that broadcast domain.

ARP: http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry/course/inet-pages/arp.html

Message 4 of 6
Wolf_666
Luminary

@netwrks, yes my network consists in 3 subnets, R7000 stays in 192.168.111.0/24 and does not show any other client in 192.168.222.0/24 and 192.168.033.0/24.

Message 5 of 6
Gandolph
Star

I have decided to use VLAN's on my network to segregate the wireless and wired network.  Thanks for the information to all that responded.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7