Re: R7000 in Bridge Mode.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

If I may add to this. There has always been problems with the terminology used when it comes to "reset" I have always been a firm believer of the push and hold reset until power Led flashes when changing firmware to correct problems. Normal updates I don't but when something doesn't work correctly I start over using the best practice which I believe is to preform a factory default reset.
Message 26 of 39
SimonPh
Aspirant

searay wrote:
I have always been a firm believer of the push and hold reset until power Led flashes when changing firmware to correct problems.

In my post above, I did that. It took about 8-10 seconds for the power LED to flash.
Message 27 of 39
Ephone
Tutor

SimonPh,

So I could only think of two possible causes:

- Configuration difference

Have you tried using the factory default configurations to set up Bridge connection, without changing any router settings (security, channel ...etc.)?

Or if you can share what settings did you apply, then I can try the same to check.

- HW related

Where did you purchase the R7000 units? In US, Europe, or somewhere else? As I know in different regions there could be slightly FW or HW differences for the router products.

For example, the transmit power on the same product is not the same when shipping to different countries due to local regulation (ex. FCC, CE ...etc.).

Also if I'm not mistaken, NETGEAR routers for World Wide allow customers to change the wireless region under the wireless basic settings page, whereas those shipped in North America do not. And for NA region, band 1 (CH36 ~ CH48) and band 4 (CH149 ~ CH161) are supported on 5GHz. For most Europe, only band 1 is supported.

Although it's not likely people would buy multiple same routers at different locations, but it's still worth checking whether two (or more) units are using the same wireless region.
Message 28 of 39
Doodozrio
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issue with that FW update. Two routers in bridge mode. Updated them both. Router works just fine. The bridge unit became unreachable after the update. Factory reset with the button on the back. Then it worked fine until I tried putting it back into bridge mode. Then it became unreachable again. Haven't tried downgrading the firmware yet but I expect it will fix that particular problem because lots of other people are having this issue with bridge mode units and this FW and the only thing that seems to fix it is downgrading the FW.
Message 29 of 39
monkeyking
Aspirant

I also have the same issue as everyone else. Actually I have no luck with the previous beta firmwares as well, as far as getting bridge mode to work. The only solution that work for me is to roll back to V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 then bridge mode works fine again. I pretty much try everything: reset, factory settings, upgrading the firmware both through the genie and regular way...all with the same result...no dice on bridge mode.
Message 30 of 39
Ephone
Tutor

Just to confirm, did you guys also try resetting the router R7000 after FW upgrade? Or only did the factory reset on the birdge R7000?
Message 31 of 39
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Bridge mode works fine after I updated the firmware to the latest one. Try setting it up first close to each other. Always do a reset aftert the update. here is how you properly reset the router:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665
Message 32 of 39
monkeyking
Aspirant

Ephone,

I tried both actually, still no dice. Will try once more with both of them a feet apart and see how that goes (but I doubt it makes much difference). Also it tooks me 5 tries to roll back to the previous firmware since it keep dropping me everytime.
Message 33 of 39
chahroun
Aspirant

I asked Netgear again for an ETA for a fix and just I got this generic reply: "As I have checked, we do not have the exact date as to when will be the release of the new firmware. A fix might be included on next firmware release. "

They don't seem to be in a rush to fix this. So we might want to stick with the old firmware for now... As many had confirmed, the new firmware is just no dice for this bridge setup...
Message 34 of 39
monkeyking
Aspirant

Yeah there's definitely some kind of glitch in the software. I did an earlier test with my bridge r7000 next to the main one and it was able to connect to bridge just fine with the latest firmware. However, as soon as I took it upstair, bridge mode instantly went dead. I try every combination of reset there is but still same result. I ended up flashing back to 15 and it works instantly without any hiccup.
Message 35 of 39
chahroun
Aspirant

Ephone, do you still have the router box that the router came in? There is a barcode on the box next to the serial number. That number has an R with a number. I think this is the hardware revision of the router. Which rev do you have? I tried both rev 15 and rev 18 and they didn't work with the new firmware in bridge mode. Maybe you have a newer or older rev. I looked on the back of the router itself and I don't see this number, so for some reason, they just put this rev number on the barcode on the box... I have no confirmation from Netgear yet on this info, but it is a pretty obvious bet. My original routers both had R15, then I replaced one and the new one came yesterday R18. So it must be a newer rev... Any thoughts?

I actually reverted my main 7000 router also to the previous firmware, since I noticed that the 5GHZ just stops working after few days and I had to restart the router to get it back to a working state. The previous firmware was running for a couple of weeks without issues... So the new firmware must not be very stable either(doesn't just break bridge mode)... I hope Netgear gets their act together soon.
Message 36 of 39
Lexist2112
Luminary

Interesting thought. If there were any significant hardware changes, one would think Netgear would have posted info in regards to FW and revisions that it would work on. Only way to confirm this would to actually open them both up and look at the chipsets and well .....hardware.
Message 37 of 39
Fairytail
Virtuoso

NETGEAR just released an article regarding the bridge mode not working with the new firmware. They suggested to use the old firmware for the mean time since there are reported issues for bridge mode feature. Please see web article below:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24105
Message 38 of 39
thomamueller
Aspirant

Just want to give credit to post about going back to 194. Bought two new r7000 today to fix another Netgear bridge problem with R6300V1 and R6300V2. Was in the process of dialing up netgear when i found this post.
Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E