Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 in basement next to outside wall

rickypicky
Aspirant

R7000 in basement next to outside wall

Last night I installed an R7000 as the wireless access point for my Verizon FiOS home network. The R7000 is connected to the Verizon Quantum router using ethernet.  Both routers are located in my basement next to an outside wall of my house where the FiOS coaxial drop is.  I disabled WIFI on the Verizon router.

My house has a total of three levels, including the basement.  My daughter's bedroom is on the top level on the other side of the house, and our bedroom is on the third level but on the same side of the house the router is on.

My question is:

How should I position the three antennas on the R7000 for best signal strength/throughput to both bedrooms?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Unfortunately, the basement next to a wall is likely the worst place to put it. Up high (top story) and open in the relative middle of the house is best, but sometimes impractical.

The only way to know is actually try it, but if you don't get good coverage, particularly in the upper floor, is to relocate it or install a range extender or access point.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It’s difficult to say what is likely to work best since there will be multiple reflections and obstacles between the router and client devices. Perhaps you should have a client device displaying the signal strength as you reposition the router antennae?

Message 2 of 4
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Unfortunately, the basement next to a wall is likely the worst place to put it. Up high (top story) and open in the relative middle of the house is best, but sometimes impractical.

The only way to know is actually try it, but if you don't get good coverage, particularly in the upper floor, is to relocate it or install a range extender or access point.

Message 3 of 4
rickypicky
Aspirant

Thank you both for responding.

Although I'm getting ok upload/download rates in both bedrooms right now without moving the r7000 router, I've decided I most likely will move it to a more centralized location.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7