Re: R7000 incorrect device name after upgrading firmware to 1.0.9.32

xodi
Tutor

R7000 incorrect device name after upgrading firmware to 1.0.9.32

Just upgraded the R7000 firmware to 1.0.9.32, and the device name in "Access Control" page is not the same as in the "Attached Devices" page. The device name in "Access Control" page is correct, but seems SOME of my customized device names lost in the "Attached Devices" page. This occured only after firmware version 1.0.9.32, it's correct in previous firmware version.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 30
emenindian
Tutor

I also confirm the latest firmware as of 06/14/18 kills the names for connected devices, makes wifi unstable. Please help netgear!  As stated previously, in access control the names are fine. But in connected devices everything has seemed to reset!

Message 2 of 30
thelemonkid
Luminary

I never had my devices displayed correctly... The names seem to disintegrate after some time.. Only some divices are displayed correctly. But others can just ... uhr.... return to their 'original state'..... in all netgear firmware versions that I had on my R7000, over the years....

Message 3 of 30
emenindian
Tutor

Your point is well taken, however in the latest firmware...it seems to have completely wiped out all the names I manually assigned to each device. Not only that, it will not accept my names when I try to re-enter them. This leaves the naming completely up to the router (which in most cases is either a blank name, and retaining the names for a small subset.

Pat

@thelemonkid wrote:

I never had my devices displayed correctly... The names seem to disintegrate after some time.. Only some divices are displayed correctly. But others can just ... uhr.... return to their 'original state'..... in all netgear firmware versions that I had on my R7000, over the years....

Message 4 of 30
MacDelta
Initiate

The firmware upgrades seem to concentrate on security issues while ignoring router functions broken by the same security-centric upgrades . I would invite those who initially gave the R7000 AC1900 NightHawk rave reviews and “Best Buy” accolades to review the same modem post the numerous firmware upgrades that have disabled QoS (since repaired?), introduced device name dropping, (continually growing less stable), and unique quirks, like the increasingly unstable web administration interface that hasn’t changed since the router was initially made available and the requirement for far more hard resets than other routers I’ve set up and still maintain. Granted, the R7000 wouldn’t garner the praise it once did, but if you’re technically proficient (I have multiple certifications concentrating on advanced network hardware and software), understand TCP/IP protocols, and are unafraid to tweak the router with no guidance; it remains a powerful and sharp-looking router with quality control issues; backed by meager technical support.
Message 5 of 30

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 30
emenindian
Tutor

@michaelkenward wrote:

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

Good point. So I did try updating to the latest firmware, and then doing a hard reset. First hard reset couldn't connect to the internet. Second hard reset managed to lock on to my FIOS connection. I then manually set up the configuration from scratch. However, after updating to the latest firmware and 2 hard resets, the "attached devices" section is still messed up. Manual renaming does not work in this section, although it does work in the "access control" area. My connection issues have seemed to stabilize after the hard reset, so that is the good news. Unfortunately, the main issue of this thread, the "attached devices" and the manual naming issue persist.

Looking at migrating over to xwrt-vortex for my R7000....

Message 7 of 30

@emenindian wrote:
Unfortunately, the main issue of this thread, the "attached devices" and the manual naming issue persist.

Recent firmware releases seem to have messed up this feature for several devices. It first came to light with the R7800.

You can give an attached device a name, but it does not show.

Netgear knows about this and promises to investigate.

I have given up on that feature and use the desktop genie to map the network.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 30
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi xodi,

Please provide a screenshot of the Attached devices page and Access Control page showing that the device name is displayed differently. Is this for selected device only? I setup R7000 in our laboratory and was not able to reproduce the issue. The R7000 has the latest firmware 1.0.9.32. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 30
xodi
Tutor

Please check the attached screenshots. (I removed unrelated ones from the screenshots and masked part of the name due to privacy).

access.jpgattached.jpg

You can see the MAC address are the same in both screenshots, but they have the different names. I have tried all ways that I can do to modify the names, but still failed for some of them. I tried to modify the name in the webui, in the genie app, all of them told me modify ok, but it still show the old name. I also backup and reset to the factory settings, then restore the settings, but still can't make this right. It works fine in previous version of firmware.

Message 10 of 30
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi xodi, 

Thank you for posting a screenshot. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 11 of 30
emenindian
Tutor

Hello Blanca, do you have any remedy for this issue that you can share? I am having the same problem as Xodi. Thank you!

Message 12 of 30
ratovan
Tutor

I'm also looking for a fix to this issue.

Message 13 of 30
Runaway254
Guide

Hi, I'm also experiencing this issue and have tried running a factory reset on the settings - both through the router's web interface and by holding down the reset button on the back of the device, and rolling back to the previous firmware, none of which had any effect on the issue. 

Is there anything else I can try to solve this? Is Netgear working on a solution to the issue? 

Thanks

Message 14 of 30
GaselGR
Guide

@Blanca_O sending pm's for a problem affecting R7000's total install base will not help others to fix this issue.

I also have the same problem.

Naming devices and setting qos priority is broken.

Message 15 of 30
dingleschlop
Aspirant

I am having the same issue as well! I've tried numerous times to resolve it. Installed  as an update to the previous build, installed after factory restoring R7000, restoring my settings from before the update...nothing works. It is auto prioritizing in the worst way possible when QOS is enabled.  My XBox and NAS storage are set at low and my smart light bulb and rarely used devices are set at high. My phone has prioritization over my MacBook. My printer has prioritization over my media streaming device. I used to be able to adjust the prioritization manually (as well as correct the device names), but now it just stays the way it is regardless of how many times I apply the reconfigured settings or adjust other settings hoping it will somehow allow me to set device priorities again! HELP.  My home network is fallen apart.  I can't afford to replace this router as I spent $250 on it over a couple years back as it had all the newest standards and was supposed to last me as long as my devices didn't bypass the technology used in the R7000. My devices are all still well within it's capability.  It has been the software that has proven to be nightmarish the past year or so.  I'm starting to think Netgear is pulling an "Apple" by bugging their older devices to force me, as the consumer, to buy a new one. 

Message 16 of 30
kjag93
Guide

Also having this problem post update. Device names no longer show up for most of my devices and when I go in to edit them the name shows up as 2 unknown charachters. Other times it will just assign names completely incorrectly for example my macbook will show up at apple TV when I go into edit (but it still shows the IP address of my macbook). It is also not saving the names I then change to or the prioritiation for QoS. Instead it will automaticall just assign a prority. I've tried hard resetting and reloading the firmware but no change. The first pic is an example of it naming incorrectly. When I presed edit the name then shows up as apple tv but with the same IP and the chanegs I make arent saved. I then reset my router the router then which lead the next couple pics. In the second pic althoguh the name had showed up as Kory-MBP on the list when i press edit these two charachters show up instead. Third is what I then changed it to and the last pic is what it then continues to show up as (ie not saving those changes.)Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 7.44.03 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-02 at 7.47.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-02 at 7.48.30 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-02 at 7.48.48 AM.png

Message 17 of 30
bingo19
Apprentice

Same problem here and the QoS won't work correcly because the priority is not saved when set. 

Will Netgear fix the problem ?

Message 18 of 30
salmog
Initiate

Seriously when is ANYONE from @netgear going to acknowledge the firmware issue and offer an ETA on when a fix might be coming?!?  You have essentially crippled our routers.

Message 19 of 30
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

A new firmware released for R7000. Kindly update the firmware to 1.0.9.34. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059544/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-34

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 20 of 30
James57
Aspirant

I have updated the latest firmware to 1.0.9.34, however this still does not resolve the issue with device naming and setting priority, neither work correctly. The device names and priority settings randomly change each time you refresh the page. One refresh and my iPhone is listed with my printer name and similar for everything else. Printer will show Highest priority and XboxOne will be set at low. When can we expect any kind of answer or fix from Netgear for this?

Message 21 of 30

@James57 wrote:

I have updated the latest firmware to 1.0.9.34...

You don't say if you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration, especially when it it trying to fix this sort of problem, which is all about writing things to the internal memory.

Just another user.

Message 22 of 30
James57
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@James57 wrote:

I have updated the latest firmware to 1.0.9.34...

You don't say if you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration, especially when it it trying to fix this sort of problem, which is all about writing things to the internal memory.

Yes, I have tried resetting to factory settings and tried everything else I could think of...

Message 23 of 30
kjag93
Guide

Also still having the problem post update

Message 24 of 30

@James57 wrote:

Yes, I have tried resetting to factory settings and tried everything else I could think of...

OK. That's useful information. Bug not squished.

Something similar has happened to the R7800 in the latest firmware.Similar inability to edit the "network map" and assign device names.

Netgear puts it down to something it did as a security fix. They promised to fix that too. We are still waiting.

Just another user.

Message 25 of 30
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E