R7000 instead of WNDR3700

bimbobo
Aspirant

R7000 instead of WNDR3700

Hi,
I have been pretty happy with 3700 since day one. I never har a drop or less wireless performance with fibre 60/60.

Now I had to move the router far away from the original spot, and I need to improve the wifi range. There is a good offer in My town to have the R7000 for under 100€, and I thought that after so many years maybe the time to upgrade has come.

I have good experience with Netgear, I am also NDA Beta tester, and I would like to hear wether people have experienced bad wifi or other issue with the R7000. Nothing is perfect, but the 3700 has served me very very well so far.

I do care more about stable connection rather than "pure" speed.

Please ONLY those who own an R7000 can give me some feedback

Thanks in advance
Netgear NDA Betatester
Message 1 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7000 instead of WNDR3700

I run the R7000 as an access point, but have also run it as a router at times. I have not had any issues with WiFi since I installed it well over a year ago. Other people may have different experiences of course, and support forums are often not the best places to seek unbiased opinion, you will understandably see more issues than praise.
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I've personally found that the wireless performance and range of the R7000 is much better than the previous generation of N600 and N900 routers. So yes, I would definitely give it a try, keeping in mind that you can return it if it doesn't do what you need.

I'd can also consider using a wireless access point (AP), like keeping the WNDR3700, and connecting the R7000 (or a less expensive wireless router, if you don't need wireless-AC). This is especially useful if you can run a cable to the best place in your place for a wireless router, and put it there *smile*.
Message 3 of 11
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
I had good experience with R7000 with either stock or dd-wrt Kong's f/w. Being dual cpu
router, IMO, it'll do more than 3700. Now I am using R7500 and hope future f/w will make
it reach it's full potential. I like R7500 QOS. I used only OpenWrt f/w on 3700.
It is easy to OC R7000 using dd-wrt. Even OC'd it runs pretty cool.
Message 4 of 11
bimbobo
Aspirant

Thanks to all for the answers.

I will give it a try. I used dd wrt in other routers, but is stock fw is fine I will stay with it.

I'll post after the 27th when the offer will be available in the store
Netgear NDA Betatester
Message 5 of 11
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I wanted to add to my comment above that the wireless-1900AC routers perform so much better on the 5GHz. band, you'll be much happier. Since I now have whole house coverage on 5GHz. with the R7000, I've moved as many clients as I can to 5GHz., and things are running a lot better around here. While 2.4GHz. band has better range than 5GHz., it also has more interference from neighbors (because the range is longer *smile*) and more household appliances use 2.4GHz., also. So 5GHz. is the choice for media streaming, etc.

Just to clarify what I meant by better wireless range and performance *smile*.
Message 6 of 11
Shadowjump
Novice

Coming from a WNDR3700 my self, the one thing I have noticed is that the coverage is a LOT better. There were places in my house that I was losing signal. Now, there isnt such a place 😛 The whole house is covered!
Message 7 of 11
Electricturd
Aspirant

I currently have the 3700 with a 20/2 cable connection, When my wife plays netflix from the bedroom(wifi) I get really bad lag on the xbox one(wired). I have tried everything I know of to fix this. I've been looking into the r7000, Does anyone think a faster router may fix this issue?
Message 8 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I’ve owned many routers over the years, including a WNDR3700 and currently the R7000. I would say the R7000 is hugely better performing than the ‘3700, even with older client devices, but the big gains are achieved when using AC capable client devices.
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Electricturd wrote:
I currently have the 3700 with a 20/2 cable connection, When my wife plays netflix from the bedroom(wifi) I get really bad lag on the xbox one(wired). I have tried everything I know of to fix this. I've been looking into the r7000, Does anyone think a faster router may fix this issue?

Give it a try, and make sure that you can return the router if it doesn't help. My feeling is that what you need is more ISP download speed, that a faster router won't help this particular problem, but worth a try, I guess *smile*. I have 30Mbps download speed from my ISP and a faster router, but when my wife is watching a Netflix movie, that also affects my internet experience as well.

Good luck.
Message 10 of 11
Electricturd
Aspirant

RogerSC, Thanks for the advice. This may be a dumb question but would it make a difference if the tv that is currently wifi is changed to wired?
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E