Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 is slow on Steam downloads

Okys
Guide

R7000 is slow on Steam downloads

Hello guys.

I was never too excited about my R7000 router, but with the older firmware (I don't remember which one I had) it somehow managed my needs. The firmware was more than a year old, that's for sure.

Lately, I started experiencing problems with my IPTV while downloading something at high speed (Steam or uTorrent). Ok, not a big problem, can wait. It also had some kind of a slow response (but good speed when things start "going") through Wifi, when browsing from phone... Also, not a big deal, I'm not in a hurry and rarely using Wifi and phone for browsing at home.

But... problems with IPTV already started to annoy my wife, so, I thought, fine, let's update the firmware, it's probably newer, better, more advanced... also, more than a year has already passed.

Auto update was unsucessful, had to download the file manually. Not a problem, maybe my firmware was too old for that option...

Now, time for a hard reset. Did that without any problems.

Ok, good, so far. IPTV still having problems, probably not because of the router, but their servers, but then.... Let's install that new game from Steam. Ok, it's downloading... downloading.... and f***** downloading... barely reaching 17-18MB/s which approximates at around 140Mbps. Wait, why do I have a 500+ Mbps down and up speed, if I can only download my game at 140Mbps? This was something new, because previously I was downloading at around 63-64MB/s which is more than 500 Mbps.

Ok, no panic, let's do another reset, turn off everything else, just leave my PC on (only phones were connected over wifi, doing nothing). Still a FAIL. There is no chance at all to download at normal speed again. And the worst thing - everything else around (while downloading at 140Mbps) is very slow and unresponsive. IPTV at 1080p doesn't work at all.. pages load slowly. When downloading is stopped, I can go to sleedtest and test 500+/500+ down/up without problems. But while Steam is downloading at those 140Mbps, speedtest can barely hit 10Mbps.

Hey, you probably have problem with Steam. No, i don't. After being unable to deal with the router, a minute later I connected my Cat6 ethernet cable from modem directly to my PC and the download speed on Steam immediatelly rocketed to where it should be. In the same time, pages were super responsive to load, everything was opening. In a long time of using the router, i already forgot how does it look like, when everything opens instantly...

I was always skeptical about routers and stuff... only used them for wireless connections... I risked back in 2016 and invested in a router that costs much more than average entry level router... just to save on electricity... to save on space... but I was not very happy with it... at the moment my only choice is to return back to using PC as a router, because... it just works.... and it works fast and instantly... for me, and for other PC's in my network. 

So, guys, what can I do? Should I say goodbye to the router, because it's at the end of it's life? Or there is something I can do? I am tired of those endless reading all around where guys change their router firmwares more frequently than socks... I am just not that guy.. I don't mind updating from time to time, but only when I have time for it... I just want my devices to work...

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The .90 firmware for the R7000 was pulled from the server in less than a day for issues that were found. You must have hit it just perfect to download it and get it installed. 

I'd actually downgrade all the way to the .42 firmware for the R7000. its the most agreed upon stable firmware for it. 

Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and to factory reset afterwards. 

Then try it and see what happens. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
Okys
Guide

I forgot to mention, that I am using firmware V1.0.10.90_10.2.90 at the moment

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

The .90 firmware for the R7000 was pulled from the server in less than a day for issues that were found. You must have hit it just perfect to download it and get it installed. 

I'd actually downgrade all the way to the .42 firmware for the R7000. its the most agreed upon stable firmware for it. 

Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and to factory reset afterwards. 

Then try it and see what happens. 

Message 3 of 8
Okys
Guide

Thanks.

Just uploaded the V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 firmware.. and it's even better than it was before with my older firmware. At least pages in browser open instantly. On a 2 GB game from Steam, I was able to reach 44MB/s (more than twice the broken .90 firmware). Will try something bigger in size, to check the max speed.

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Steam isn't a reliable indicator of speeds because their speeds can changed based on the load on their servers. 

I'd try http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest   

or http://speed.googlefiber.net/

These tend to be able to max out fast connections and be fairly reliable indicators of speed. 

Message 5 of 8
Okys
Guide

Everything is back, as before with a bonus - page opening/loading is more responsive on browser than my older firmware (year 2017/2018 probably). Still have to test, maybe it also helped with the IPTV. Will keep this firmware forever 🙂

Screenshot several minutes ago:speed_ok.png

Thanks a lot!

P.S. Accidentally shared my IP address, so, I had to edit this post.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it back up and running decently! 

Message 7 of 8
Okys
Guide

@plemans wrote:

Steam isn't a reliable indicator of speeds because their speeds can changed based on the load on their servers. 

I'd try http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest   

or http://speed.googlefiber.net/

These tend to be able to max out fast connections and be fairly reliable indicators of speed. 

DSLreports tested to EU and speed is lower, but still very good.

Here is the result: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/57484773

googlefiber was testing to Atlanta, which is US, and was 205Mbit down/107Mbit up.

I'm from Latvia, EU.

Anyway, it's now better than before. 🙂

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7