R7000 keeps disconnecting after firmware update V1.0.7.10_1.2.3

Dilduo
Aspirant

R7000 keeps disconnecting after firmware update V1.0.7.10_1.2.3

I installed the update maybe two or 3 days ago and its just been kicking me off every 2 hours. I have manually reset the router, reset it through netgear genie, and factory reset it with a paper clip. I also called my cable company and they reset the modem on their end and cant seem to do anything esle for me. Is there anyway to use a previous firmware or am i doing something wrong? any direction would be great. The online light on the router is solid amber or flashing amber when its not working. Note the wifi still shows up on my computer but is unable to connect to it. Also my xfinity hotspot doesnt work ether when this happens. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 keeps disconnecting after firmware update V1.0.7.10_1.2.3

Maybe something went wrong during the flash? Assuming after the UPDATE you reset the router and added back in manually ALL your settings, then you might want to re-flash again. You could also use a back-level flash too if you wanted to see if it the flash that is causing the problem or not?

In ALL cases, reset after flash and re-enter your settings manually.

Before you do that you might want to use a single hardwired PC and see if it happens. If it doesn't, add devices one by one and determine if one is causing it. I'm thinking a request for the same IP Address another device had in this case.

Message 2 of 9
Dilduo
Aspirant

what do you mean by flash? like when i factory reset? and yes ocasionally i get messages saying there is an ip confict with another computer, but would that really cause every computer to not be online? in my home there 3 mackbooks, 1 pc, an xbox and a ps4 and 3 phones connected. atleast half of them are on at the same time all the time. I have factory reset it a few times now, IM currently thinking about uploading the last firmware as there were no issues with that but i am having trouble, when i rest it never gives me an option to load up my own it just auto starts the new firmware. 

Message 3 of 9
LeeH
Prodigy

To get rid of the IP conflicts you will need to reserve all your IP addresses in the router.

Open up the web page for the router and go to the Advanced tab and select Setup and LAN Setup under that.  Use the +Add button on the bottom of the screen to add each device and click on Apply when done.

There is also another reset you can try if you are still having problems.  Press in the reset button for about 30 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink 3 times in a row.  Not the power light blinking 3 times but the whole cycle three times.

Message 4 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@Dilduo wrote:

what do you mean by flash? like when i factory reset?

Flash is the process of loading NEW (or the same) Firmware using UPDATE.

@Dilduo wrote:
and yes ocasionally i get messages saying there is an ip confict with another computer, but would that really cause every computer to not be online? in my home there 3 mackbooks, 1 pc, an xbox and a ps4 and 3 phones connected. atleast half of them are on at the same time all the time. I have factory reset it a few times now,

Where are you getting the confict message? I've never seen that happen myself? When you have an IP Conflict usually the device connected to that IP Address is dropped and the new device takes it place. Sight unseen by the other device but it loses LAN/Internet access.

One way that can happen is IF you've assigned a FIXED IP Address to a device. Done on the device or an IP Address reserved for a specific MAC Address on the router. However that IP Address was NOT excluded from the DHCP server to hand out. If you've done something like that go into the router and start IP Address allocation above reserved IP Address or stop if below that IP Address.

@Dilduo wrote:

IM currently thinking about uploading the last firmware as there were no issues with that but i am having trouble, when i rest it never gives me an option to load up my own it just auto starts the new firmware. 

Not sure what you mean here either? Do you mean the settings? After installing new firmware you must RESET the router using the hidden button. Then once it boots re-enter your settings. DO NOT load an old saved set.

Message 5 of 9
Dilduo
Aspirant

Where are you getting the confict message? I've never seen that happen myself? When you have an IP Conflict usually the device connected to that IP Address is dropped and the new device takes it place. Sight unseen by the other device but it loses LAN/Internet access.

I am getting the conflict message on my mackbook sometimes, it drops out but then picks right back up. 

"One way that can happen is IF you've assigned a FIXED IP Address to a device. Done on the device or an IP Address reserved for a specific MAC Address on the router. However that IP Address was NOT excluded from the DHCP server to hand out. If you've done something like that go into the router and start IP Address allocation above reserved IP Address or stop if below that IP Address."

Now I did assign a Fixed IP to my xbox because my nat was strict on that. I did that through routerlogin.net I have also portforwarded several ports on their to fix that issue, Maybe that has something to do with it? Ether way the factory reset wipped all the port forwarding i did and the issue is still present. I have no idea how to start ip address allocation above reserved ip address or stop if below that ip address. Should i just make everything device thats connected just have a fixed IP?

(Sorry i get a little confused about this information, i know more about routers then your average bear but im not that savy.)

And i wanted to load the previous firmware because the whole problem started when i updated the firmware. 

Message 6 of 9
Dilduo
Aspirant

I did not know about that other reset i will have to try. And Also to note how i reset my router, im not sure if its the correct way. I unplug the modem, then i uplug my router (when i say unlpug i mean the power) then i wait 2 minutes, sometimes longer i usually go do something rather then time it. no more then 5 minutes. then i plug in the modem and wait another 2 minutes, usually sit and wait for that. then i plug in the router and 2 minutes later my internet works. 

How i do the factory reset is just paper clip and holding it down for 15 seconds. 

Message 7 of 9
IrvSp
Master

The Macbook might tell you there is a conflict and it lost the IP Address, tries again and gets a new one probably.

If you assigned the IP Address to the XBOX but didn't alter the DHCP allocations on the router at the ADVANCED, LAN SETUP tab, and lets say you set the XBOX to be 192.168.1.4 and it wasn't on, then the 3rd device that was noticed by the router would get 192.168.1.4. Once the XBOX were turned on though IT would be given that IP Address. Some devices will just lose the connection, others will notice they were dropped and reconnect, getting a different IP Address. Easy fix though, just go to the tab and set STARTING IP ADDRESS to be 1 higher than the XBOX.  Alternatively change the XBOX to be 192.168.1.100 and set the ENDING IP ADDRESS to 191.168.1.99 (of coures the 192.168.1 should be the first 3 octets of your router IP Address if not 192.168.1.1). That should be easier than assigning every device a specific IP Address.

Message 8 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@Dilduo wrote:

I did not know about that other reset i will have to try. And Also to note how i reset my router, im not sure if its the correct way. I unplug the modem, then i uplug my router (when i say unlpug i mean the power) then i wait 2 minutes, sometimes longer i usually go do something rather then time it. no more then 5 minutes. then i plug in the modem and wait another 2 minutes, usually sit and wait for that. then i plug in the router and 2 minutes later my internet works. 

How i do the factory reset is just paper clip and holding it down for 15 seconds. 

You were just powering it off and on. About the only thing that might change would be IP Addresses on devices except for the XBOX which you set to be a specific one.

A few ways to reset... the paper clip was or on the Router ADVANCED, ADMINISTRATION, BACKUP SETTINGS tab, on the last option is Revert to factory default settings (ERASE). That will CLEAR all settings on the present firmware. Then you can install the new/previous update from ADVANCED, ADMINISTRATION, ROUTER UPDATE...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E