Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 keeps dropping internet (DNS doesn't resolve) on some, but not all, domains

vwcx
Initiate

R7000 keeps dropping internet (DNS doesn't resolve) on some, but not all, domains

About a month ago, I started experiencing drops in internet service from my R7000. I'll be connected to a Google video chat and suddenly notice I'm unable to access the internet from any of my devices ("connection refused"). I can continue to use the internet normally on the domain that was using the connection when the drop occurred, but no other external domains load until I power-cycle the router. No drops in wireless signal strength/connectivity, nor any hiccups from the modem during this time.

Wondering if this is a firmware/DNS lookup issue? Finding it really bizarre that if I'm on a Google video chat, the video never drops but the rest of the internet service on all other wireless devices does.

Any ideas where to keep diagnosing?? Not an issue with signal strength or modem connectivity. Downgrade firmware? Use different DNS service?

Current firmware: 

V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 keeps dropping internet (DNS doesn't resolve) on some, but not all, domains

what modem/gateway do you have? 

You might try updating the firmware to the 1.0.11.123 version. Then do a factory reset and new install. 

Message 2 of 5
cmcmorris1989
Aspirant

Re: R7000 keeps dropping internet (DNS doesn't resolve) on some, but not all, domains

Did this work? I work for an ISP and are recently having a lot of customers complaining about connectivity. I know that downgrading to .42 solved the issue so that is what I have been recommending. Does the recent .123 hotfix resolve the issue?

Message 3 of 5
vwcx
Initiate

I was on the fence about whether to upgrade to the hotfix or downgrade back to .42. I chose to downgrade three days ago and haven't seen the issue again. 

Message 4 of 5
cmcmorris1989
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. I just spoke with Netgear. Since I dont personally own that router, I need to refer my customers to them. Unfortunately, we lose customers who dont even bother to call us first when there is an issue so Im trying to be a bit proactive. I think I will work with a customer and upgrade to the hotfix and see if that works. Up to date firmware is a must. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7