Highlighted
Tutor

R7000 keeps dropping wifi connection

Hi

I have an r7000 with the latest firmware. Almost every day it drops 5g and 2.4g connections. When this happens, ethernet works fine, but you are unable to connect to the router and login (via 192.168.0.1 as you would normally).

I have disabled DDOS protection, done a factory reset, changed the channels, but nothing.

Can anyone help?

thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25
Highlighted
Master

Re: R7000 keeps dropping wifi connection

The 'latest', V1,0,9.64 (and .60) has given a lot of people this problem. Revert back to V1.0.9.42.

Message 2 of 25
Highlighted
Master

It really is a shame how Netgear has taken a really great router, had one when they first came out that just worked, and turned them into garbage due to less the stellar firmware. Unfortunately you cannot necessarily run the old firmware due to security concerns.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 25
Highlighted
Tutor

I tried to switch to merlin but it kept telling me it was not compatible Smiley Sad

Will downgrade then try again.

Message 4 of 25
Highlighted
Master

@DaveRage wrote:

I tried to switch to merlin but it kept telling me it was not compatible Smiley Sad

Will downgrade then try again.

Merlin only runs on Asus routers not r7000. DO NOT install XWRT in the r7000. They person takes a Merlin source and bends, folds, staples and breaks licensing to get it to install on a r7000, plus some folks say it has a backdoor.

If looking for 3rd party take a look a Tomato, especially Fresh Tomato. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 25
Highlighted
Tutor

I tried the AdvancedTomato but same issue, will try fresh thanks

Message 6 of 25
Highlighted
Master

Check on the tomato flavor you are try support site. It is possible you may need to back level the Netgear firmware on the r7000 first. Have seen that with other 3rd party firmware, but do not know about the r7000 and tomato. Too long ago that I run it, several years ago. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 7 of 25
Highlighted

I just installed the latest firmware and WIFI just kept dropping every 5 seconds, had to re-install an older version as suggested.

And I didn't realise how bad it was, there is no way to raise the issue with Netgear, unless you pay them more money? They intentionally (unintentionally?) break the product you spent money on by means of a firmware update, in which case you need to pay them more money to fix an issue that they introduced in the first place! So if they break your hardware, they do not want to hear about whether it introduced a bug unless you pay them to tell them they introduced a bug... I mean, wow! Smiley Mad

I mean it's kinda clever, but also stupid as this 100% concretes my decision to never ever EVER buy a netgear product ever again!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 25
Highlighted
Tutor

Yes I agree. A revelation I had was to use the wifi graphing function on netspot (https://www.netspotapp.com/) a free app I found.

I can literally see the R7000 turning the wifi on and off. I've been watching and comparing it with another wifi device sitting 1m away from it which is showing a more normal pattern of signal variation.

To anyone struggling with poor performance from their R7000 I would advise trying this just to see what is going on. At the moment it seems its the 5G that is flicking on and off, this morning it was the 2.4G

Very annoyed that I need to buy a new router... broken by Netgear themselves.On and off like a lighthouseOn and off like a lighthouse

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 9 of 25
Highlighted
Initiate

Recently udated firmware to V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.  Caused me to consantly have devices disconnect, not connect, and connect slowly.

Did the update using wireless. Found that the release notes specifically mention using ethernet connection to avoid this issue. So did the following:

1. Connected my Microsoft Surface to the router via ethernet and turned off wireless.

2. Reinstalled the same firmware.(It asked if I really wanted to do this)

3. Used the setup wizard (It kept my SSID and password)

Everything now seems to be running very well.

Message 10 of 25
Highlighted

My R7000 Nighthawk is still complete junk with the latest firmware, I refuse to update any firmware from this point forward. I am waiting for it to die then will dispose of it unceremoniously

With Netgear's lack of hardware support I will be moving to Ubiquiti hardware from this point forward and have been recommending the same to everyone else I know.

If you want budget hardware with no support, buy Netgear. If you want stuff that works properly with descent after sales support, look elsewhere.

Message 11 of 25
Highlighted
Master

@stupidusername9 One thing that surprised me was a friend went to a TP-Link router. Looking at their forum the moderators are actually helpful. Have a question they cannot answer, they have a path to engineering to get the correct answer, not some dumb answer like on this forum. 

By the way I have had zero issues with my Ubiquiti setup. Not cheapest solution, but it just works. Never think about the wireless network. I am even running their beta firmware on the devices without issue. Each AP is rated at 200 devices so I think I am covered there. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

@tomasu 

Thanks for details for how yout correct this issue. I executed the steps you detailed and my router has seemed to have stopped flapping.  I don't know if you get to mark this as solved but I think you are the winner on this one,

Netgear if you are listlng you need to update the Netgear Tech Support script to add the question "When applying your last firmware update did you do so via a cable from your computer to the router with the wifi connuction turned off?" If the answer is "No" then walk the caller through @tomasu 's steps and the love for your routers will go back up!  You should also consider flasing a red banner that states to apply the firmware update via the correct steps.

I called  Netgear Tech Support and that didn't help.  

Message 13 of 25
Highlighted
Tutor

Hi guys, I was able to fix the wifi drops on my R7000, try the solution in the following link, maybe it will work for you.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-r7000-wifi-drops-SOLUTION/m-p/1840...

Message 14 of 25
Highlighted

Bought this router new and all was good for about 2 wks and then started having he WiFi drop but not hardwired connections

This seemed to start to happen after I enabled the WiFi to use Smart Connect
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Enable or Disable Smart Connect
Smart Connect selects the fastest WiFi band for your device. For Smart Connect to work,
the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands must use the same WiFi network name (SSID) and network
key (password). That means that when you connect to the router with WiFi, you see only
one SSID that connects to both bands.
Note: If you enable Smart Connect and the SSID and passwords for the 2.4 GHz and
5 GHz bands do not match, the WiFi settings for 2.4 GHz band overwrites the WiFi
settings for 5 GHz band.
To enable or disable Smart Connect:
 1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the
network.
 2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
 3. Enter the router user name and password.
        - The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and
password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
 4. Select Wireless.
       - The Wireless Setup page displays.
 5. Select or clear the the Enable Smart Connect check box.
       - Selecting this check box turns on Smart Connect and clearing this check box turns
off Smart Connect.
 6. Click the Apply button.
      - Your settings are saved.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So here is what I did and so far not dropping

- Re-flashed the firmware
- Disabled Smart Connect let the end user choose either 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz

So far so good!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 15 of 25
Highlighted

Forgot to add, running the latest Firmware Version 1.0.9.88

Message 16 of 25
Highlighted
Luminary

I do not have Smart Connect enabled but I still get dropped internet connections. This almost always happens when I have a number of new guests on the network - often the existing connections still work, but the new devices lose internet connection.

Message 17 of 25
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the solution thedogger35, I will give a try and let you know if this fix works!

Message 18 of 25
Highlighted

Well it looks like this was a failure also. Seems that when there is a lot of connected devices is when things go south. WiFi drops and hardwared devices are good.

So last night I did the following and so far so good

I found a discution on the DDWRT forum that helped me a lot with the firmware needed.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1141752

I hop this solution will prove to be the final fix until Netgear can fix their Firmware!

1- If you are on stock firmware do a hard reset.

a. Find the Restore/Reset button on your router(usually located in a pinhole on the back of the router).b. Use a paperclip or ballpoint pen tip to press and hold the button until the Power light starts to blink. It usually takes between 7 and 9 seconds.

2- Download to your computer the following version of DDWRT for R7000 router.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/03-26-2018-r35531/netgear-r7000/

there will be 2 files

- factory-to-dd-wrt.chk   (this is the file that you will point to to install from, both are needed)
      - netgear-r7000-webflash.bin

3- Turn of your WiFi and hardwire to access via browers
     - access 192.168.1.1 proceed with known steps to access your router settings and let's do a firmware upgrade from Stock firmware to DDWRT version R35531

**IMPORTANT: use an ethernet cable from the computer to the router not WiFi

4- Once when you're in the router settings do the firmware upgrade by going to ADVANCED tab / ROUTER UPDATE / click on BROWSE and upload the ( factory-to-dd-wrt.chk ) file and wait until router reboots.

- After router reboots with DDWRT firmware go to ADMINISTRATION / FIRMWARE UPGRADE and upload the ( netgear-r7000-webflash.bin ) and wait 'till it finishes.

5- Last step is to change the MTU on DDWRT

- go to SETUP / BASIC SETUP / from default MTU is 1500 let's select MANUAL and change it to 1450 and reboot the router

Since a applied those changes router it's been running without any problem in the last 2 days and counting.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 19 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

Tomasu's method worked for me.  thank you.

Message 20 of 25
Highlighted
Initiate

Since '88' software I had only problems as the rest. Bechmark was my iPhone with wich i often play a tacktical game. Everytime i got disconnected and had to start leverls over or were timed out.

I tried ddWRT and followed your instructions. Didn't work. Also upgrading to the newest version available didnt work.

I reverted back to the '42' version and everything is working without issues for a week now.

My next router will not be a netgear reading the quality of support (or lack of it in total)

My former router (used as wifi spot at attick now) was a d-link and 13 years old. Never had poblems. thinking of going for the new WiFi 6 models of dlink.

Message 21 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks, I did this with the current build instead of the one linked (which was from 2018) and it worked great.  So far 5 hours of uptime, which is the best I have had in months. 

Message 22 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am having the same issues.  For months now, my R7000 has been dropping.  I've tried numerous roll backs to older firmware with no success.  I've gone through and disabled darn near every setting that isn't required as well.  The wired connections stay up MOST of the time.  Only the 5ghz is the one that is dropping.  The 2.4 is still being a champ.  I'm using NetSpot as well.  I can't believe how often this router is stopping the 5Ghz radio.  NETGEAR, FIX YOUR CRAP.

Message 23 of 25
Highlighted
Luminary

Do what I did and buy a new, different router. Cut your losses. Life is too short to deal with this nonsense.

Message 24 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

I tried 1.0.9.42 and several other Netgear stock firmwares.  All same result WIFI 5 GHZ is completely unstable, drops connections, have to reboot the router to get to come back to life.  I finally flashed Fresh Tomato as a last resort before replacing the router.  Been up and stable for 4 days with no issues.  Netgear needs to fix their crappy firmware.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements