Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 keeps dropping wifi connection

Jpenor1
Initiate

R7000 keeps dropping wifi connection

My Nighthawk Router R700 keeps dropping signal. I've rebooted it, reset it and checked for updates. Still having problems. I've even done this with my modem.  These are brand new, only 3 1/2 months old. Any suggestions ???  

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 54
plemans
Guru

check your firmware?

The R7000 is not known to have great firmware. I'd recommend manually installing version 1.0.9.42 firmware to the router, factory resetting it, and re-installing the router. And then disable auto-updates. This is the most stable version that we've found on these forums. 

Message 2 of 54
Jpenor1
Initiate

I will try that firmware you gave me. The current one I have said up to date with V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Message 3 of 54
teereepee
Aspirant

hi. Did you reset and downgrade the firmware? What was your result? Thnaks
Message 4 of 54
Monroe78
Tutor

I was having the same thing happening on my nighthawk and believe it or not it was a corrupted fire stick. Once I reset my fire stick to factory defaults it solved the connection issues immediately.

Model: R7300DST|AC1900 DST Router and DST Adapter
Message 5 of 54
Gleazon
Guide

Hello, I saw that you said you had a corrupted firestick that was causing your dropouts. I have several firesticks in my house and I’ve been currently experiencing the same WiFi dropout with my R7000 as well for a little over 2 months now. At first I thought maybe it was the overloaded servers throughout causing internet issues in general with so many people being at their homes now and inevitably using their service more then normal but it’s going into the latter days of this whole thing and I’m still experiencing random dropouts (one just a short while ago). At any rate, I have tried just about everything I can think/read of including factory resetting the router itself. I was considering downgrading the firmware so I was about to do so when I came across your corrupted firestick scenario. How did you figure out that it was what was causing the issue if you don’t mind me picking your brain lol. Thankyou in advance for any light you may be abele to shed on the situation
Message 6 of 54
Gleazon
Guide

Hello, did u happen to try the firmware downgrade and also did it fix your issue? I’ve been having the same exact problem with mine for the last few months and I attempted to contact my service provider several times to make sure it wasn’t an issue on their end. sat on hold for very long periods of time to just end up giving up because every time I just reboot my equipment it would fix the issue and I got tired of sitting on hold..lol..anyhow, b4 I go forward with it I just wanted to see if downgrading the firmware actually fixed it or not? Thankyou in advance for any light you could shed on my situation
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 7 of 54
Jamie82
Initiate

I had this exact same issue back in March, it ended up being an issue with my internet provider. I thought it may be that again but it's all clear on their side. All my wifi devices drop wifi for a few seconds. It seems to have been over the last month. I have updated to the latest firmware.
It's so frustrating because I dont know much about it and we all depend on the wifi for school and work. My next step is to move the router to a more a more centralized location and see if it helps the drops throughout the house.
Message 8 of 54
nskumar6
Aspirant

I have the same problem dropping WiFi frequently. How did you find out which FireTV stick is causing the problem? It would greatly help to know so that I can try an resolve the issue. Appreciate any help. Thank you.
Model: R7300DST|AC1900 DST Router and DST Adapter
Message 9 of 54
Gneisguy13
Guide

I'm also having MAJOR problems with my AC1900 router.

WiFi has dropped all devices at least 1-2 times per day since installation a week ago.

Have to turn off/on router to resolve.

Firmware Version
V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

ISP: Spectrum

Firmware VersionV1.0.9.88_10.2.88

GUI Language VersionV1.0.9.88_2.1.38.1
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 10 of 54
Gneisguy13
Guide

Follow up:

I decided to exchange the defective router with a replacement of the same model.

After 48 hours, 0 drops and no connectivity problems so far.

@netgear please QA your products more dilligently as many customers that encounter a defective product right out of the box may not come back and share their experience on social media.

Message 11 of 54
plemans
Guru

@Gneisguy13 wrote:

@netgearplease QA your products more dilligently as many customers that encounter a defective product right out of the box may not come back and share their experience on social media.

You also have to keep in mind, the forums are where people come with issues. So it seems like there's a ton of issues because netgear sells a lot of routers and there's many posts on here. But what you don't see is all the people that don't have issues. 

Message 12 of 54
Gneisguy13
Guide

And how does this help me? My router was defective and your answer is others aren’t having problems so Netgear should ignore me, is that what you’re saying?
Message 13 of 54
plemans
Guru

No. 
I'm saying that a certain percentage of all products produced are going to have failures.  It doesn't matter if its Netgear/Tp-Link/Asus/etc.  That's why there's a return/warranty period. 

I'm also saying that we see a lot of people upset because 'Its obviously an issue because people are complaining on the forums". Of course they are, its where people go with issues.  

And with devices like the r7000 that have been sold for 7 years, you'll see even more because it has been marketed/sold for so long and has had a rediculous amount of devices sold. 

If yours failed and is within its return/warranty period, then use it. 

Simply click "mynetgear" at the top, register an account and the device. From there you can check warranty status/support. 

Message 14 of 54
Gneisguy13
Guide

I don't understand the purpose of your reply or your "lecture".

• I posted here asking for advice and I got none.
  • I updated my post that I returned the defective one and then YOU decided to reply with a SNARKY message about the percentage of routers that have passed QA than those that slipped by.
  • I asked you if I should just refrain from using these Forums and your reply was to try and lecture to me about the reality of working with technology products and how they cannot be 100% bullet proof.
  • "And with devices like the r7000 that have been sold for 7 years, you'll see even more because it has been marketed/sold for so long and has had a rediculous amount of devices sold." - Um, this device has 2019 printed on the box so how do you equate that with this product being sold for 7 years?

Also if this is your idea of Community Management then that reflects very badly on Netgear's Community team.

Message 15 of 54
plemans
Guru

testing from 2013 when it was released.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-smart-wifi-router-r7000

yes they continue to manufacture it and the date would be on the box. 

Message 16 of 54

I tried 1.0.9.42 and several other Netgear stock firmwares.  All same result WIFI 5 GHZ is completely unstable, drops connections, have to reboot the router to get to come back to life.  I finally flashed Fresh Tomato as a last resort before replacing the router.  Been up and stable for 4 days with no issues.  Netgear needs to fix their crappy firmware.

Message 17 of 54
Gneisguy13
Guide

That is EXACTLY the same problem I had with the defective AC1900. Thank you for bringing this up @billscott92787 !

That's more than I was willing to do considering it was a brand new router fresh out of the box and I just dropped a good chunk of change for this.

The replacement AC1900 has been in place for the for past 5 days without ANY hitches.

Message 18 of 54

@Gneisguy13 Yeah idk what it is but Netgear products seem like garbage to be honest.  Whenever I do replace my R7000 it definitely will not be with another Netgear router.  I'll probably hop back on the Linksys train.  I'm debating a WIFI 6 router but what I've read a lot of them seem unstable and buggy at the moment.  So I'm hesitant to upgrade to WIFI 6 but the prices aren't that much different than WIFI5 so I would prefer to "futurize" my home network as opposed to dropping a good bit on another WIFI5 router and then having to upgrade to WIFI6 later.

Message 19 of 54
Gneisguy13
Guide

@billscott92787TBH, I don't even think Linksys is worth the money anymore either, especially after Cisco ruined them. The big companies that led the market 10+ years ago have been surpassed by vendors like ASUS and even Amazon.

A lot of my coworkers that also do personal Twitch streaming have either ASUS, Amazon or Google MESH. They are more expensive but have a lot less problems that traditional WiFi routers and extenders.

Message 20 of 54

@Gneisguy13 I had a Linksys after the Cisco purchase and didn't have any issues.  I work with Cisco routers all day long for work.  I been looking at the ASUS Rapture GT-AX11000 for WIFI5.  If WIFI6 not sure what router to go with.  I have never messed with MESH routers so I'm hesitant to go down that track.  If I do I prefer to have something other than Amazon or Google MESH though.  Any other recommended MESH routers?  I've read up some on MESH routers.  What's the benefit of using a MESH setup versus just having a single router?  I assume multiple APs across the home to load balance the traffic?

Message 21 of 54
Gneisguy13
Guide

It looks like most companies now offer MESH routers as it looks like the wave of the future especially in these times of quarantine.

I've heard Amazon and Google Nest being the most popular but most are probably sourced from the same factories in Asia that use similar components. If you forego the firmware then all you're selecting from is how the shell/packaging looks like or price differences.

Between the two, I hear less complaints from Amazon users compared to Nest users.

Message 22 of 54
Gleazon
Guide

Hello, sorry for my late reply to your post but was just getting caught up on emails. I had the same issue with my router which is same exact model. After extensive searching online I found someone suggest to "rollback" the firmware version to a version known to have no dropouts and/or issues so that is what I did. I also shut off auto-update to keep any new versions from being downloaded. It has worked great for me. I know it may not be the answer you wete searching for but from everything ive gathered when researching the subject, it was the only true fix I could find unit Netgear decideds to address the situation (which I'm guessing isnt any time soon since they've released 2 new versions since my initial problem and after experimenting neither have stopped the dropouts I was having) Anyhow, if u want the version I downgraded to just let me know and I'll look it up for you
Message 23 of 54

@Gleazon yeah just curious what verison you're on.  I spent a TON of time online researching the issue and everyone suggested 1.0.9.42 but I had the same WIFI Drop outs on this firmware.  I thought it might just be my router but my sisters R7000 was having the EXACT same issue. I also flashed 1.0.9.42 on hers (same issue on hers).  I factory reset everything, set everything up on both routers manually, issue still persisted.  So as a last ditch effort before her replacing her router or replacing my own I flashed Fresh Tomato firmware.  The only firmware that hasn't had this issue so far for me is 3rd party open source Fresh Tomato firmware.  I've been up and stable for 5 days.

Message 24 of 54
Gneisguy13
Guide

Thanks for joining the discussion @Gleazon !

Ya I have to say I am disappointed in @netgear for their lack of response or care at multiple issues with their AC1900 series firmware or hardware. The fix of replacing the proprietary firmware appears legit but it should be on the company to test their own software and end-users "hacking" their own hardware shouldn't be necessary.

Message 25 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7