Highlighted

R7000 keeps dropping wifi connection

There are sufficient topics about this. I have read em all, the problem with the 5G network dropping started in 2014 according to complaining customers. 

Soon I have the router for one year and am now a victim of this. The basic trouble shooting steps offered in other topics do not help! Could the developers and testers working on this firmware fix this finally!?!?!

Problem description: 

after a firmware update to the latest firmware the 5G wifi is highly unstable and therefor completely unuseable. The signal constantly drops, rendering it useless. 

The 0815 trouble shooting steps like: reset router, reconfigure router, change wifi bands, all of this does not resolve the problem. 

Downgrading to an earlier firmware version does not resolve this either. 

All in all I am a very very frustrated customer and may say good bye forever to Netgear. If a company can not fix a bug within 3 years, well ....

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 50
Highlighted
Master

Re: R7000 keeps dropping wifi connection

What channel is your 5ghz currently set to? Are you in Europe? NA?

Message 2 of 50
Highlighted

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

Save your existing configuration first, so that you can backtrack if there are still problems.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 50
Highlighted

44in the end but tried em all from 36 to 48. In Eurrope

Message 4 of 50
Highlighted

Your recommendations are useless. I wrote that already in the first post.

Of course did I try a hardnreset, when that didn't work a soft reset. Reverted to the previous fir!ware to hard reset and soft reset. Then upgrade again and repeat. 

You guys are not helpful at all! 

The problem got solved by getting rid of the junk. 

Message 5 of 50
Highlighted
Apprentice

Downgrade your firmware to this one V1.0.4.28_1.1.64. I also updated the firmware and had so many issues including wifi drop outs. I had tried a Verizon gateway but the range and speeds were not close to the R7000. Once I downgraded to this older firmware and then reset the router, Performance has been stellar. I also upgraded the antennas to three 12dbi dual tuned antennas which has increased my range and speeds past the original range and speeds that I had before the update, The problem is that these Netgear engineers are screwing up this device by updating the firmware.

Message 6 of 50
Highlighted

Hey, 

thank you for your response. Everybody else who reads please don't downgrade! Read why, here.

I would never down grade to an earlier firmware, it's not secure. There have been reports that Netgear routers and others are vulnerable. Here is an example: https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/31/more-netgear-wifi-router-vulnerabilities/

Therefore, is downgrading and missing out on security updates an absolute no go.

I fixed the problem by returning the R7000. The shop replaced it with a R6800. (And running a hardware firewall between fiber box and R6800.)

Message 7 of 50
Highlighted

It is generally a good idea to stay up to date with the firmware, but there are times when you have to balance the risk against the benefits.

The security issue flagged up in that message is probably the same theoretical vulnerability that caused a flap earlier this year.

I say theoretical because it is one of those things discovered in a security lab that sends the "tin-foil hat" brigade into a tizzy. I have yet to see evidence of "in the wild" sightings of that security hole.

I'm not urging people to ignore those warnings, simply to do a bit of research and to work out what is best for them.

It may be that there are ways of fixing your hardware so that the new firmware doesn't mess it up. Or there may be tweaks that can reduce the security risk.

Just do some research and decide what is best for you.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 50
Highlighted

Marking secuirty concerns as "tin-foil hat"  stuff is like saying "closing your eyes makes people in front of you invisible". Like if you don't see it it doesn't exist. That's not cool. 

Continous sercurity updates are needed. Sadly such updates bring no money to a company, and therefor aren't always of priority. 

To sum this up from my side: Don't downgrade to an early firmware, either get rid of the R7000 or get it replaced with something newer.Hope this helps. 

Message 9 of 50
Highlighted
Luminary

@michaelkenward wrote:

I have yet to see evidence of "in the wild" sightings of that security hole.

Like a Ransom-ware locked computer? It is tempting to try to balance between the thought that it might not matter that much and setting up your hardware correctly. But going back to an old firmware version that has become obsolete, seems not to be a wise strategy in my eyes.

Message 10 of 50
Highlighted
Apprentice

Please! We are not talking about a computer operating system. We are talking about a router.  There is no way I would go back to the latest firmware that caused all of the issues I was having or spend more money buying another router when this one is excellent. In my experience it does make sense with OS but most of the electonics that I own, updating firmware usually offered no benifits and often made things worse.

Message 11 of 50
Highlighted

You do know that a router runs an OS, right?

Greetings from a system developer.
Message 12 of 50
Highlighted
Guide

I have been experiencing the same problem!!! Changed band, packet size, reverted to old firmware and same issue with dropping wifi. I have monitored the ISP signal and NO drops. I have monitored the Netgear 5G wifi with CONSTANT drops (see attached). Netgear has offered NO support! If I have to buy another router I will never buy another Netgear product!!!

Message 13 of 50
Highlighted
Guide

I have been experiencing the same problem!!! Changed band, packet size, reverted to old firmware and same issue with dropping wifi. I have monitored the ISP signal and NO drops. I have monitored the Netgear 5G wifi with CONSTANT drops (see attached). Netgear has offered NO support! If I have to buy another router I will never buy another Netgear product!!!

Message 14 of 50
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have been encountering the same problem. Whenever there is a decent amount of activity or number of devices on either the 2.4 or 5GHz frequency, the connection becomes unstable. At that point the only workaround is a power cycle. I have recently observed this problem with having 9 Amazon Echos on my 2.4 GHz band. In the morning, the all the devices on that band can't connect. I switched all my Echos to the 5GHz band thinking that the problem was with the frequency. Now I have problems with my 5GHz band and my 2.4 band is fine.... Netgear.... PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!
Message 15 of 50
Highlighted
Tutor

Does Netgear plan on fixing this.. not seeing any response from their support on this topic.. 

Anyone figure out solutions...

I bought this and set this up this weekend and yup - wifi 2.4 and 5G keeps dropping.. only way to fix is to recycle computer or the router..

Latest firmware,,im next to the router so its not distance... and yet checked MTU per other topics.. all seems in order

Support is no help...

Message 16 of 50
Highlighted

@mv101 wrote:

Latest firmware,,im next to the router so its not distance... and yet checked MTU per other topics.. all seems in order

Support is no help...

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Just another user.

Message 17 of 50
Highlighted
Tutor

Yes I did reset the router .. unfortunately still same issue..

I did test with wired and no issue.. 

once I go to wifi ... losing connectivity - and cannot reconnect.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 18 of 50
Highlighted
Master

Hi mv101,

What is the exact firmware version of the router? v1.0.9.26 firmware should resolve this issue.

What are the devices that are having issues with wireless?

Message 19 of 50
Highlighted
Tutor

Firmware is up to date

V1.0.9.26_10.2.31

Happening on all computers and smartphones thus far.

Message 20 of 50
Highlighted
Master

Hi mv101,

Do you have any Google home or Chromecast devices on your network?

Message 21 of 50
Highlighted

@JamesGL wrote:

Do you have any Google home or Chromecast devices on your network?

And are they up to date in their own software?

Just another user.

Message 22 of 50
Highlighted
Tutor

No do not have either google home or chromecast.

I am on google fiber for the isp

Message 23 of 50
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same problem here. My Nighthawk is only 2 months old. It's been dropping signal for about 2 weeks now and is getting worse. Can't stream a moving without constant interruption from router dropping signal.
I can believe all these people asking questions to the people who are hailing this problem. I've read so many posts that date back for a few years and it appears there is no fix that works. It appears that it had nothing to do with anything outside of some bug that is a Netgear problem. How can a company get away with this? You send the big bucks to get quality and you get sh*t with no help from the company.

Does anyone know if another router that is supposed to be as good or better than the Netgear when it's working?
Message 24 of 50
Highlighted

@Anotheryou wrote:
Same problem here. My Nighthawk is only 2 months old. It's been dropping signal for about 2 weeks now and is getting worse.

What's the firmware version on your R7000?

@Anotheryou wrote:
Can't stream a moving without constant interruption from router dropping signal.

Chromecast by any chance?

R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

Message 25 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 49 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements