Highlighted
Apprentice

R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity

Hi,

My Nighthawk R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity, 5GHz works fine. The LAN connections are also perfectly fine. It seems that this started after updating the firmware to version V1.0.9.12_1.2.23, although it didn't start immediately. I've had this router for over 18 months now without any issues.

This happens every day. On my Android phone it will display a wifi icon with a small 'x' on top of it. When I disable wifi on my phone and enable it again, it tries to connect and doesn't get past 'obtaining IP address'. When I reboot the router it works fine again for a day or so and then it stops again. I also am able to get it working again by going to the wireless setup in the web interface and just clicking the 'Apply' button. Really strange (and annoying). 

I tried the following to get it to work again:

- Reset the router to factory defaults and redo the whole config manually.

- Selecting a fixed channel that was the least used when doing a SSID scan, instead of the 'auto' setting.

I also checked the logs, but other than the usual DHCP requests, there isn't anything in there that would indicate the problem. I did a lot of Googling but didn't find anything for my specific issue (lots of fairly similar ones though).

I just now made the following changes that I found in a post on this forum:

- Limit the 2.4GHz band to 20Mhz by setting the speed mode to 'Up to 289Mbps'

- Repositioned the antennas: middle one vertical and the side ones to 45 degrees

- Repositioned my home DECT phone further away from the router

I'm not confident that it wil resolve the issue as it's been working fine for over 18 months. So it seems the firmware broke something or the R7000 is ready to be retired (hope not).

Anyone with the same experience or some idea what causes this issue?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 434
Highlighted

Re: R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity

Is this with all wifi clients?

Any chance that there is local interference from other wifi sources?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 434
Apprentice

Hi,

It's with all devices. As for interference, when I’m testing it’s within meters of the router. In addition, when I reboot the router it works perfectly again, even at farther distances. Only to die on me again after a day or so.

Message 3 of 434
Highlighted
Tutor

Yes, I have been finding this exact same problem.  It's started happening over the past couple days and I was about to factory reset the router and reconfigure.  After googling about, I see that this problem surfaced before with a different firmware version and was fixed, so my hope is that it can be fixed (soon) with a firmware update.

Message 4 of 434
Highlighted
Initiate

I have the exact same problem. My problems started less than a week ago. I logged in to my router and saw there was a new update (V1.0.9.12_1.2.23) - so i installed it hoping it would solve the problem. But i did´nt.

I haven´t found a permanent solution either, but like you say, I can login to my router and change the channel, then apply. Afterwards i starts working again, sometimes a whole day, sometimes for a couple of hours. Its really annoying. I bought my r7000 about two months ago, and I don´t want or need these problem. Netgear must really adress this problem and fix it.

Message 5 of 434
Highlighted

@Blodsvente wrote:

I have the exact same problem. My problems started less than a week ago. I logged in to my router and saw there was a new update (V1.0.9.12_1.2.23) - so i installed it hoping it would solve the problem. But i did´nt.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

If it isn't too late, and you aren't locked out browser interface, first note down the settings – screen grabs can help here.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

You could have tried a reset before you flashed the firmware. Maybe you did.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 434
Highlighted
Initiate

Hi Michael. Thanks for the tip. I have not reset to factory settings after the firmware update. I´ll try that tomorrow. I´m not locked out the browser interface, so thats not a problem.

At the same time i´m not sure it will solve anything, since my problems suddenly (from nowhere) started before i made the update. Thanks anyway for the tip. I´ll post here after i reset the router.

Message 7 of 434
Highlighted

I mentioned it party because a reset has solved wifi issues for some people. It may be that your original firmware had a bug that wrecked the wifi. Maybe the new release was designed to fix it. A reset loses nothing and possible gains a lot.

I assume that you saw this wifi issue on more than one wifi client. Remember, it takes two to tango. If the client is playing up, your router can't do much to help.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi,

After my initial post and the modifiations I made, the router worked for a week. However this morning the wifi went off-line again. Once again switching to 5GHz worked. Cabled connections were also unaffected. It's really annoying. When I check the logs, I see "[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.9.12]" at least two times a day (at random times). Not sure, bit I believe that's a reboot. Since I didn't initiate that, it look like it's crashing and rebooting randomly.

When I logged on to the web interface it said "updating settings". That went on for a minute or so and then it took me to the home screen. I noticed that in the left vertical menu some of the button descriptions were missing. I eventually ended up unplugging the power and doing a cold reboot.

Long story short, it seems to be ok again now, but it's really unstable. Hope this gets fixed soon!

Message 9 of 434
Highlighted
Initiate

Just want to post that I am having the exact same issue.    Everything has worked perfectly for the last 18-20 months, but in the last 2 weeks, I am seeing instability in only the 2.4 GHz band.   I am also running the latest firmware, and thinking that perhaps this was introduced in the recent update...

Message 10 of 434
Highlighted
Tutor

I am also having the same problem which started in the last week or two. The 2.4 ghz channel stops working at about the same time each day, somewhere between 6:00 AM and 8 AM. I first notice it when I get a message that my Honeywell wifi thermostat has lost communication with their server. (The Honeywell apparently only has the 2.4 ghz radio.) Then I check to see if I can reach the internet and find that I can on the 5 ghz channel but not on the 2.4 ghz channel. I can "see" the 2.4 channel but I cannot connect through it. I have found that I can get the 2.4 channel to work again if I connect to the router through the 5 ghz channel and go to Advances/Advanced Setup/Wireless Settings and turn off the 2.4 ghz radio, wait a minute and then turn the 2.4 ghz radio back.

The router has worked well  previously. Just would like to get this problem resolved.

My firmware version is v1.0.9.12_1.2.23

Message 11 of 434
Highlighted
Master

Hi All,

You can try to reset the router to factory default and reconfigure it manually.

Message 12 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

I already did that twice. Doesn't help. In the past 4 days, I had to re-apply the wifi settings or reboot the router. It's getting to a point where I want to throw the damn thing out of the window. I'm convinced that this can be resolved by a software fix, because I believe it was caused by the latest firmware update.

I'll see if I can downgrade to the previous firmware.

Message 13 of 434
Highlighted

Westfa wrote:

I'll see if I can downgrade to the previous firmware.

Get it from the support pages and install it manually.

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

There is also a library of past firmware.

Just another user.

Message 14 of 434
Highlighted
Tutor

After my previous post on 11/27 I decided to just try different settings that were specific to the 2.4 channel in Advanced/Setup/Wireless Setup. The first one I tried was changing from having it set to a specific channel, in my case channel '8' (which I had chosen because it had the least interference from other nearby routers) to 'Auto'.

It has been three days now and the 2.4 channel has not dropped once.

Interestingly the router still selects channel '8'.

Message 15 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

I hope it keeps working for you. I too tried different settings and it worked for almost a week! After that it started to drop again. I'm going to downgrade the firmware and see what happens.

Message 16 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

Small addition. When I logon to the router 8 out of 10 times it doesn't show me the home screen. It just goes straight to the 'Updating settings' screen (with the blue progress bar). When that happens I lose all internet connectivity for about 20 seconds, aftherwhich everyting works again. Don't know if it's related to the wifi issues, but with previous firmware versions it has never done that.

Message 17 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

I was about to downgrade the firmware, when I noticed that a new version came out today (version 1.0.9.14). It doesn't come up when I check for updates using the web interface, so I downloaded it manually. I'm going to update now and will report back.

Message 18 of 434
Highlighted
Tutor

Yes - I also bit the bullet and tried the factory reset route and it did not solve the problem.  Hopefully this new firmware is a winner.

Message 19 of 434
Highlighted
Guide

I have exactly the same issues as so many have described in these threads.  Obviously there is something major going on, and it seems to conincide with recent firmware updates.  I updated to the new version released yesterday (...14) but it's no different.  I've tried all the various things mentioned here and other places with no luck.  (Yes, many factory resets.)   

I even went and bought a new R7000 (which came with ...12 firmware) and it worked fine for about 10 days, then reverted to the same old symtoms.   LIke everyone else it happens with many different clients, usually after a few hours, but sometimes after only 15-20 minutes.  (For some reason my Samsung Galaxy S7 is always the first cllient to fail.)  When the router enters this failed state it is not possible to log into the router's administrative console, via the URL or the IP address, even though it's still working fine for the wired connections and some wifi clients.   So it's power-off, wait, power-on once again.   

One other thing -- while still on the ...12 version (where I first noticed it), I did try going back one version (...10), with no luck.  Has anyone tried going back to a much earlier version of the firmware?   (I don't remember what version I had before my ill-fated upgrade to ...12 but it was probably at least 1 year old.   [Yes, reverting to a very old version re-introduces security holes, but at this point we are all getting pretty desparate to get back to where we were before this nightmare.]

[It's probably firmware, but I suppose it's possible that there is some kind of subtle DDOS-like attack going on that affects Netgear, or perhaps from Netgear itself.]

Message 20 of 434
Highlighted

@JVJ83 wrote:
When the router enters this failed state it is not possible to log into the router's administrative console, via the URL or the IP address, even though it's still working fine for the wired connections and some wifi clients.   So it's power-off, wait, power-on once again.   

There are other reasons why this happens that have nothing to do with dodgy firmware. It can happen with versions that otherwise cause no problems. Sadly, I have never seen a satisfactory explanation of why this happens.

@JVJ83 wrote:
One other thing -- while still on the ...12 version (where I first noticed it), I did try going back one version (...10), with no luck. 

A basic question, but when rolling back, I assume that you did a factory reset. You have to do that to rule out bugs that came in with the new version.

Just another user.

Message 21 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

I'm having the same issues. I have noticed if I run either 2.4 or 5ghz independently it doesn't reset. If I try to run dual band with both going at same time the reset issues occur. I'm running the latest firmware and done all the tricks listed and have found only running one or the other fixes it. Net gear needs to fix this immediately!!!!! Why own a dial band if you can't run it???
Message 22 of 434
Highlighted
Guide

MichaelK - thanks for the additional info.   Yes, I do a factory reset each time I flash the firmware (always after and sometimes before).   I've tried a few more variations in parameters this evening with no luck but I haven't yet gone back to a much earlier version.  That's next after I try Volstate's idea of going single band.  (That's one straw I haven't grasped yet.) 

So I now have two of these R7000's with the same issues.  I'm thinking of loading a different firmware, for example Tomato or DD-WRT.  Any suggestions?  (At  a quick glance it looks like these are quite a bit more difficult to flash.)    

Another thought:  I'm using my original EM9100 FIOS router upstream of this one (coming into the WAN port).  I'm wondering if I should do a factory reset on that router.  I've tried playing with a few parameters on it (for example, giving the R7000 a static address and putting it in the DMZ.)   

I've tried lots of changes with no effect.   It always works for a while and then Wi-Fi stops, along with no console login.  (I can always log into the console immediately after a reboot, but even then the console is very slow, as if the router is very busy with something.  It gets slower and slower and then things stop working.  A clue perhaps?   MichaelK - I agree this may not be firmware per-se, but rather some sort of storm that overwhealms the router.  But I wonder why are so many people have started seeing the same problem at about the same time.  The only common event has been the ...12 firmware upgrade (and/or the security hole that prompted the firmware upgrade).

Message 23 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

Well, this morning my kids complained the wifi wasn't working (they're always the first to notice). So it seems that the latest firmware version worked for two days and then it failed again. Same symptoms, 2.4 GHz stops working and 5GHz and wired are fine.

Haven't downgraded yet as I'm not sure what version I was on before the the .12 version. I usually keep my router updated, so it might just have been the version right before .12. However reading JVJ83's post it seems that that didn't work either.

I would just put everything on 5GHz as a workaround, but not all devices support that. In addition the signal doesn't reach as far as 2.4GHz.

Message 24 of 434
Highlighted
Guide

Last night, based on Volstate's suggestion I disabled the 5 GHz radio and now am running single banded with everything on 2.4.  It's still going this morning, which is much longer than usual, but we'll see. . . . . 

Message 25 of 434
Top Contributors
Announcements