Re: R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity

shoman94
Apprentice

Doesn't make sense then why isn't everyone having the problem. There are a lot yes, but not everyone.
Message 351 of 434

@shoman94 wrote:
Doesn't make sense then why isn't everyone having the problem. There are a lot yes, but not everyone.

That's a common phenomenon. To pick one example, new firmware wrecks some installations and leaves others unscathed.

We all have different hardware and operating systems.

Your wifi hardware will not be the same as mine. Nor will the combination of motherboard and network card.

If you think about it, this makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is when someone expects everyone to see the same problem, regardless of their combination of hardware and software. (We don't all live on planet Apple.) If that happened something would never reach the real world. The beta tests, as long as they happen, would detect the problem.

As @Case850 points out, even Google has owned up to this one.

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 352 of 434
shoman94
Apprentice

I guess my point is, if Google is the issue, why isn't it happening to everyone with Google Chromecast products and Android smartphones?
I don't own one Apple product
Message 353 of 434
HWAM
Apprentice

Don't blame Google for the 2.4GHz drop problem!!!! I don't have a Google Home or Cast device and my 2.4GHz dropped when I was away from home, nobody at home. My check script detected the ip cam drop.
Google has cast problems but it has nothing to do with my 2.4GHz drops after the Netgear firmware update. STOP BLAMING GOOGLE!!!
Message 354 of 434

@HWAM wrote:
I don't have a Google Home or Cast device ..

That's not the limit to the problem. Other Google kit also suffers. You don't say what the "ip cam" uses.

It is nuts not to blame Google when so many people have tracked the thing back to Google and Google has held up its hand.

We can see if there are other issue after the Google bug gets squished.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 355 of 434
mzguy
Apprentice

@Case850 

No, that is not an example of a Denon amp causing issues. It's an example of a Denon amp experiencing issues. There is a difference between cause and effect.

We know Google Chromecast causing issues in some cases. 

We also know that not all Netgear connectivity issues are due to Google Chromecast. 

We know (from me, HWAM, and many others) that the issue that started this thread and that many have been experiencing, is not due to Google Chromecast. After all, one needs to actually have a Google Chromecast to experience the Google Chromecast issues. So no, we don't need to all wait for a patch from Google before determining if any other Netgear issues remain, as a recent poster suggested.

That should be case closed, really. It would be extremely helpful, for clarity, if everyone stopped trying to confuse the issues. This has been clarified several times before. If you keep posting stuff like this, I think we will need to conclude you're deliberately trying to confuse the issue.

Message 356 of 434
mzguy
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

@HWAM wrote:
I don't have a Google Home or Cast device ..

That's not the limit to the problem. Other Google kit also suffers. You don't say what the "ip cam" uses.

It is nuts not to blame Google when so many people have tracked the thing back to Google and Google has held up its hand.

We can see if there are other issue after the Google bug gets squished.

What other Google kit suffers? Can you post any links that mention anything other than Google Chromecast and Home devices? 

Both I, HWAM, and several others have mentioned that they do not have the devices with known problems, and yet we are losing connectivity after a Netgear firmware update.

Furthermore, if you dug a little deeper, you would see that the Google devices specifically cause issues by flooding the network after awaking from sleep. The longer the sleep, the larger the flood. People on this forum have mentioned that connectivity often drops within minutes of rebooting the network. That doesn't fit the pattern Google has identified. It further supports a Netgear-specific issue.

It's not reasonable to wait for Google to patch and then "wait and see" if Netgear issues remain. Don't forget that Netgear has raised its hand too - it has acknowledged a problem!

But, since Netgear has raised up its hand., perhaps we should wait until Netgear clears its issue and then wait to see if Google issues remain? Ha! Thank goodness Google doesnt' take that approach!

Why are you trying to clear Netgear of issues? Is that a goal of yours?

Message 357 of 434
HWAM
Apprentice

@mzguy Thank you very much. I totally agree with you. I hate it that people try to blame Google for this! Please don't put all the Google Home and Cast stuff in this thread. Netgear has a big problem and it has nothing to do with the current Google bugs. It is just a coincidence. Bad timing. I don't like it when people help Netgear to hide there problems and blame Google for it. So stop talking about Google products in this thread. Thanks again @mzguy for helping me to explain what is going on.
Message 358 of 434

@mzguy wrote:

What other Google kit suffers? Can you post any links that mention anything other than Google Chromecast and Home devices? 

Is Google a good enough source for you?

People with an Android phone and a Chromecast built-in device (such as a Chromecast or Google Home d...

Here's a third party account that links to that one:

It was previously thought that Google's casting devices, like the Chromecast and Google Home, were t...

and

In certain cases, the Google Cast software inside Android smartphones would malfunction and overwhel...

Given that Google has released next to no detailed information, it would be unwise to jump to conclusions one way or the other. Who knows what goes in deep; in the entrails of all those mobile phones put there? 

Why are you trying to clear Netgear of issues? Is that a goal of yours?

What makes you think that I am try to clear anyone? I just ask questions and refuse to take simple-minded explanations without evidence.

Message 359 of 434
Dilemma
Guide

I've been having issues with connectivity on my 5GHz wireless connections, and my Android phone and laptop are the only 5GHz devices. My Chromecast is actually connected via ethernet to the network, not wireless. I do not use my R7000 for DHCP. I'm going to install 1.0.9.20, and see what happens. I had no idea there was an issue with Google. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 360 of 434
emessmann
Guide

I never said that I have Chromecast or other Google devices, and I do not have any.  They are obviously not causing my issues with this router.  It has been up for 2 days now.  I changed the wifi channel on 5G, and turned off WMM on 2.4 and 5 gHz.  I also downgraded to firmware version  V1.0.9.14_1.2.25

This can be the last post on this thread.  The failure has to be related to the firmware version, or perhaps to the WMM settings?  Thanks for the input folks.  

Message 361 of 434
stuckincube
Apprentice

@stuckincube wrote:

I have multiple Google Home devices but they are all connected to 5G.  So I doubt Google is the problem with 2.4G dropping.

Also, I switched the 2.4G channel from Auto to fixed on Ch 11 two days ago, and haven't dropped since.  No other changes.  Will keep monitoring...

Just wanted to update this and say that I'm still having issues despite any config changes such as using a fixed channel.

NETGEAR, PLEASE FIX THIS!

Message 362 of 434
jblankev
Guide

A probably final update from my side: I returned the new R7000 and exchanged it for a router of a different brand. The old R7000 is still running smoothly (with v1.09.18_1.1.27 FW) and my new router also, regardless the type of devices in the network (only the number of connected devices differ). I have no clue why the old R7000 (with up to date FW) is working fine and the new R7000P and after that the new R7000 were not working (with same FW and same settings). I hope for all of you that have the same issues, that Netgear solves it. If something strange happens with my old R7000 I will reconnect to this thread again. Good luck.

Message 363 of 434
dorsetweevil
Aspirant

Just for the record, I hadn't updated my router for a while and was having no problems with it.  Unfortunately I can't remember what version I was on but it was probably 6 months old.

I updated recently and was getting immediate issues with the WiFi shutting down.  After a spot of reading here I downloaded the 1.09.20 HotFix but the issue still occurs.

There has been no change in the devices accessing the router, whether by WiFi or wired over the past 6 months.  No ChromeCast etc.  For these reasons it seems obvious to me that, in my case and I suspect many others, this is a Netgear issue.  I'm hoping for another HotFix soon but I haven't seen any acknowledgment from Netgear about the issue (please point me in the right direction if you know of any).

The popularity of the following discussion Feedback-for-R7000-New-firmware-1-0-9-18 and R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-20-Hot-Fix suggests that, despite any Google Chromecast-related issues, there is something else going on within the R7000.

Message 364 of 434
HWAM
Apprentice

@dorsetweevil wrote:

The popularity of the following discussion Feedback-for-R7000-New-firmware-1-0-9-18 and R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-20-Hot-Fix suggests that, despite any Google Chromecast-related issues, there is something else going on within the R7000.

Ooh yes, there is! They published at least two bad firmware versions. They can't fix it. Restoring old version is not always working. They made a few betas, without success. At this moment nothing can fix it.

Message 365 of 434

@dorsetweevil wrote:

...despite any Google Chromecast-related issues, there is something else going on within the R7000.

You are not wrong there. At least two things are going on.

For some people new firmware from Netgear clobbered their routers. If you dig into the messages here, you will find that they can regain control if they roll back to earlier Netgear firmware.

The other event is the Google bug which also broke wifi. Updates to Chrome stuff means that you can't roll back to get the wifi to work as expected. The bug works on different versions of the Netgear firmware, perhaps all of them, as well as other hardware.

Given the nature of these things, there is probably also a group of people with a completely different problem that gets buried in all the chat about the first two. Some may also suffer from a combination of both.

Then there are a handful who think it is a Netgear conspiracy to single them out for special treatment and is sending its gophers out to make naughty changes to their firmware just for the fun of it.

This saga has been running for longer than it should, partly because it took Google at least a month to hold up its hands and own up to the problem. This left Netgear, and other hardware makers, scrabbling around trying to work out what the heck was going on. Google has also missed at least one self-imposed deadline for issuing updates to mend the bits it broke.

Message 366 of 434
William10a
Master

I wonder if there's a mixature of a hardware and software going on here Google Chormecoast and Netgears own firmware are not the only cause, if they were someone would have found a answer to the issue.

It could be the number of 2.4 ghz devices and their ages are playing into this issue with their aging chip sets and lack of support to keep them updated.

True some have found the correct mixature of firmware and their devices to make the 2.4 ghz work while others have not , this may never totally answer as people give up or switch too other makes of routers.

Message 367 of 434
andygjones
Aspirant

Just to throw this in the mix. I'm having this problem and havn't upgraded my router for years and I don't have any Chromecast devices connected any more. To clarify this is what i have experienced

• Had the router for approx 2 years and been solid until recently (approx Dec 2017)
  • Firmware is old - 1.0.6.28_1.1.83 with no changes to version or config for at least a year.
  • Since early Dec noticed dropouts on 2.4ghz wifi multiple times per day (requires router restart to get it back again). I thought it was our Christmas tree lights as they were close to the router and had never experienced problems before this. At this time I still had a chromecast audio connected but wasn't actively using it.
  • On Christmas day disconnected the chromecast audio as I replaced it with a Sonos speaker (didn't know about the Chromecast issue at this time)
  • Continued to experience 2.4ghz dropouts daily to this day - no chromecast devices connected anymore (we have 2 android phones in the house but presume these aren't affected).

Doesn't sound like a firmware upgrade will help me in this case so I guess will keep watching in the hope something comes along that resolves it. Really need solid 2.4ghz as have a number of devices that don't support 5Ghz (sonos, printers etc).

Message 368 of 434

@andygjones wrote:

no chromecast devices connected anymore (we have 2 android phones in the house but presume these aren't affected).

Hate to disabuse you, but you can't make that assumption. They can carry the same crimes against humanity.

See above.

Message 369 of 434
stuckincube
Apprentice

@Case850 wrote:

@stuckincube wrote:

@stuckincube wrote:

I have multiple Google Home devices but they are all connected to 5G.  So I doubt Google is the problem with 2.4G dropping.

Also, I switched the 2.4G channel from Auto to fixed on Ch 11 two days ago, and haven't dropped since.  No other changes.  Will keep monitoring...

Just wanted to update this and say that I'm still having issues despite any config changes such as using a fixed channel.

NETGEAR, PLEASE FIX THIS!

@stuckincube, Can you read the Support information from Google. The source of the problem is Google MDNS bug, only Google can provide the patches to fix the MDNS bug.

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7634752?hl=en&ref_topic=7071995

Google devices aren't connected to my 2.4G channel.  And it's the 2.4G that is failing.

Message 370 of 434
stuckincube
Apprentice

@Case850 wrote:

@stuckincube

>>> Google devices aren't connected to my 2.4G channel.  And it's the 2.4G that is failing.

The 2.4G Band failing is a result of a Google MDNS packet storm that impacts the whole router. Other parts of the router are also being stressed and with some routers they just freeze.

The whole router is on the one IP subnet so any rogue device (wired or wireless) can generate a packet storm which impacts the whole router.

Read this from TP-Link who have stayed on top of this issue and kept their customers informed.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-2050.html

There are absolutely no other issues when the problem happens, including 5G, throughput, LAN, WAN, or any other function.  Just turning the 2.4G off and on in the router config fixes the issue.  Please, let's stop blaming Google.  Also, I'm running the latest Google Home app on my phone and the Google Home devices have latest updates, and Google has already rolled out the fix.

Message 371 of 434
andygjones
Aspirant

@Case850 wrote:

@andygjones, Please read the information contained in the Support Document from Google.

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7634752?hl=en&ref_topic=7071995

Who is impacted?

People with an Android phone and a Chromecast built-in device (such as a Chromecast or Google Home device) on the same Wi-Fi network may experience this issue.

Thanks. I was under the impression it was Android phone AND chromecast device but not sure if that's the case? I no longer have any chromecast devices - just Android phones and still having issues. I guess will wait and see once their Android patch is rolled out.

Message 372 of 434
pman27
Aspirant

Has anyone tried the new 1.0.9.26 hotfix yet?

https://kb.netgear.com/000053870/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-26-Hot-Fix

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the Wi-Fi disconnect issue caused by a flood of broadcast traffic.
  • Fixes security issues.

Looks like what we are waiting for.

Message 373 of 434

I'm installing now. Unless I have more issues, sayonara everyone!!

Good luck to all. 

Message 374 of 434
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please provide a feedback once you have installed the 1.0.9.26 firmware.

Message 375 of 434
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E