Re: R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity

bluekiwi
Aspirant

It may or it may not. It fixes the problem for some people but not all. That is where the frustration lies. There is no guaranteed solution for everyone yet
Message 401 of 434

@Andoy wrote:

Just to confirm, I do a factory reset and restore my configuration from backup. This will solve the issue. Is this correct?

No. If you restore settings from a backup this may also revive whatever the bug was that was crippling your system.

If you restore the system and all works well, great. But if you restore the system and you still have problems, reset and do not restore.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 402 of 434

@bluekiwi wrote:
There is no guaranteed solution for everyone yet

That just about sums it up.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 403 of 434
qidelephant
Aspirant

Are you changing the default password?

I had this same problem - 5ghz works, 2.4ghz doesn't. However, when you reset the router, it works. Changing the 2.4ghz password prevents logging in. IOS devices say incorrect password. It seems to be retaining the default password from the reset, even though it shows the new password I changed it to.

So try using the default password shown when you reset your router and see if that works for you. It has worked for me flawlessly. This only applies to the 2.4ghz band. 

Message 404 of 434
padolan
Aspirant

Re: Are you changing the default password?

After news of the VPNFilter malware, I decided to check my netgear router and update my firmware.  I was on v1.0.7x, and updated to the latest 1.0.9.32 firmware for my Nighthawk Router.  Little did I realize, my Saturday was just planned for me.

Soon after the firmware update, all my chromecast and google home devices were no longer visible from my android phone.  I could not cast any content.  Later I also found my wifi speeds immediately tanked to 10% of what they were prior to the firmware upgrade.

Several attempts to fix the issue failed.  I tried disabling & re-enabling my wifi bands (as indicated in this thread).  After several reboots of the router, my phone, and factory resets of the chromecast devices, nothing got my home devices going again.  

After all else failed, I downgraded my router's firmware back to 1.0.7.6.  Viola, everything returned to normal!  https://kb.netgear.com/000036470/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-7-6

I will not be updating it again until I hear these issues are remedied.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 405 of 434
William10a
Master

I know that it is hard test every possible combination of device to a router's new firmware but it seems the ball is having a problem reaching its goal. I wonder if the device manufactures and the router makers need to sit down and talk about what features and problem areas of their devices and the  codes to fix them.

Message 406 of 434

@padolan wrote:

After several reboots of the router, my phone, and factory resets of the chromecast devices, nothing got my home devices going again.  

Did your factory resets also include the router?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

By the way, this reset thing seems to be especially useful when dealing with wifi problems, which is probably what your Chromecast stuff uses.

Just another user.

Message 407 of 434
mzguy
Apprentice

Has this issue been resolved by Netgear? I'm just curious at this point, as my Netgear has been demoted to a mere switch (Wifi off, different router is doing Wifi and Gateway duties).

I am avoiding firmware updates like the plague, though it pains me to be behind on "security fixes". My Netgear is now acting as a switch, and my primary router has had zero issues.

Did Netgear ever fix this? Is there a "known good" firmware at this point?

Message 408 of 434
emessmann
Guide

Problem was finally resolved. I've applied firmware updates and have not had same issue since.
Message 409 of 434
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@bluekiwi wrote:
There is no guaranteed solution for everyone yet

That just about sums it up.

Cannot agree more. Firmware from Netgear is crap.They bleep my stronger opinions.  😉

Return if with the window and get something else like a Asus  RT-AC86U.  

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 410 of 434
Gregesp
Aspirant

REPAIRED!

Here is what's going on...

This model has a design flaw.  Both the CPU area and the WiFi chip area are not properly heat sinked.  If the chips get too hot, they will not burn out, but MAY partially melt some of the solder connections on their many leads.  This presents "cold solder joints" and these joints sometimes make connection, while as time goes on, they get progressivly worse.  Tiny fractures in the solder are open cavities for airborn contaminants that eventually cause microscopic corrosion within the joint and over time render it useless.  The fix is to REFLOW the solder connections at the WiFi chip(s) and then add copper fins to the top of the RF shield above the WiFi chips.  In addition, you should also clean all mating sufaces on the bottom side of the PCB between the CPU, RAM etc and all 3 thermal pads there under the shield.  I added some "Arctic Silver" to each side of the pads just to ensure good thermal conduction.  Scrape off the black paint on the heat sink below so that the large pad makes good contact there.  I added a small 2" fan to the outer right hand side of the router.  The fan pushes air through the louvers on the right and exits out the left hand side.  I used a 12v fan and added a 100 ohm 1/2 watt resistor to slow the fan down for less noise.  I have flashed DD-WRT firmware into the router and now can see actual temps of the CPU and also the WiFi chips.  Before any mods CPU ran at 61C.  After mods, CPU shows 42C   WiFi chips had initial lower temps before mods, but were still a point of failure.  Now the router is very stable and COOL.    Again, you must repair the WiFi chip connections first.  Use high quality flux (I used a syringe from Chipquick) and a hot air station for reflow work.  The 2.4GHz chip is located under the top RF shield and is at the FRONT of the PCB.  The 5GHz chip is in the same location, but to the rear of the shield.  Both are Broadcomm and are identical.  These mods were the end result of several days of R&D with a FLIR camera to see exactly where the heat was being transferred.  Oh...forgot to add that even though the CPU area had good thermal pads and made good contact to the heat sink below, there was still an excessive amount of heat directly above on the top side of the PCB.  I measured 125F according to the FLIR.  I removed the two CUBE size pads from below the PCB (which really did nothing in that location) and placed one directly below the 2.5GHz WiFi chip so it would add additional cooling by contact from the bottom of the PCB to the larg heat sink.  The other cube was used on the top of the PCB directly above the CPU.  I made my own heat sink from copper flashing (about a 2" square) and mounted that above the thermal cube to conduct any remaining heat AWAY from the PCB below.  Lastly, all this work may be overkill.  A simple fan mod may do the trick, but I wasn't going to take any chances after all the research findings.  Netgear really cut some corners IMO.  The hardware is good, OS is OK, but the weak link is the heat issue.  Relying solely on convection from a heat sink BELOW the source of heat (heat rises folks!) is a really bad engineering mess.  Not designing in a simple $3 fan is a recipe for disaster.   Hope my findings help someone.  After reading 17 pages here on the forum with no answers I simply had to post my findings.  Good luck.

Message 411 of 434
Gregesp
Aspirant

Added heat sinks to WiFi cover.  Made from copper flashing.Added heat sinks to WiFi cover. Made from copper flashing.Additional heat sink added over CPU area.  Place thermal cube between copper and PCB.Additional heat sink added over CPU area. Place thermal cube between copper and PCB.FLIR shows excessive heat over CPU not being conducted to sink below.FLIR shows excessive heat over CPU not being conducted to sink below.FLIR now with 2nd heat sink.FLIR now with 2nd heat sink.Bad solder.  Dull appearance.  Divots & voids.Bad solder. Dull appearance. Divots & voids.Good solder.  Rounded joints, nice and shiny. No divots.Good solder. Rounded joints, nice and shiny. No divots.

Message 412 of 434
mikedapiker
Aspirant

Have we confirmed this works? I still have this issue, 2.4 works, but has no range. would love to finally fix this. 

Message 413 of 434
myersw
Master

@Gregesp

Interesting article/mod. Only question I have is how do you know the poor solder connections are from poor manufacturing? Need to get up more like 180c to effect the solder, I think, and doubt that the chip leads are getting that hot and have things still work. 

I have seen lots of poor solder connections, you know the dull gray kind that look poked, in consumer electronics over the years that a judicious use of a soldering iron fixed intermittent issues. These were the result of poor manufacturing of course. Maybe Netgear has manufacturing issues along with the firmware issues. Company seems to have really gone down hill IMHO. Used to be my go to, but sold my r8000 and r8000p due to firmware issues and not getting any better. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 414 of 434
Customer-X
Star

22-08-2018 05:40 AM

@Gregesp wrote:

Here is what's going on...

This model has a design flaw.  Both the CPU area and the WiFi chip area are not properly heat sinked.  If the chips get too hot, they will not burn out, but MAY partially melt some of the solder connections on their many leads.

Thank you very much! Can we have an official respons from Netgear! I payed alot of money for this piece of crap and am having problems with it from the start.

Message 415 of 434
DomainArchitect
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same problem. When I called Netgear, they wanted my credit card so they could bill me once they solved the problem. Still, they assured me that if they couldn’t fix it, I would not be charged and they would determine whether I was eligible for a new device.

This is most likely a design flaw. I am posting this so I can monitor this discussion for solutions. I have two R6700 units experiencing the exact same issue. I’ve lost hours of my life trying to troubleshoot and solve this problem to no avail.

If anyone finds a solution that doesn’t involve making fixes to Netgear’s design, please post.
Message 416 of 434

I do not believe this is a hardware design flaw at all. Ateast in my case, after flashing the Merlin firmware to the device, I have not had any connectivity issue in 2 months. Previously my 2.4 was entirely unusable and it is not perfectly acceptable.

This is a software issue.
Message 417 of 434
DomainArchitect
Aspirant

What is Merlin Software?
Message 418 of 434
DomainArchitect
Aspirant

So far, we have two people saying two different things. One is saying it is hardware and they solved the problem after making hardware fixes while another is saying Merlin software solved their problem.

Now I have no clue who is right but Netgear has attempted to solve this issue but has failed with a firmware update.
Message 419 of 434
IT-Steve
Tutor

Can't believe this thread is still going on.  The fact that the vendor hasn't fixed this is rediculous.  Hardware/Software...this is not somethign the consumer should worry about when spending $150 on a router.  

I've since moved off of Netgear and purchased the Ubiquity Unifi line of products for switching/routing.  So much nicer and it's all cloud driven.

Not giving Netgear another dime, nor will I tell any family/friends to purchase their products.

Message 420 of 434
JVJ83
Guide

Seems like the consensus last spring was that there were both hardware and firmware problems and they varied in their severity for different people.  Also not clear if the hardware issues are design or manfufacturing related (or both).   

For mine, I solved the problem with third party firmware (Advanced Tomato) and it's been running great ever since.  But I do wonder if this firmware has security flaws of its own, or needs any updates.   Anyone have any insights on Advanced Tomato's current reputation?

Message 421 of 434
myersw
Master

I've since moved off of Netgear and purchased the Ubiquity Unifi line of products for switching/routing.  So much nicer and it's all cloud driven.

Not giving Netgear another dime, nor will I tell any family/friends to purchase their products.

Agree, My Ubiquiti Unifi gateway, switch and AP's just work unlike the r8000 and r8000p that I gave up on and sold. Now I have a network I can forget about. 

Currently I would not recommend Netgear to anyone. Shame as they used to be my go to manufacturer. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 422 of 434

@DomainArchitect wrote:
When I called Netgear, they wanted my credit card so they could bill me once they solved the problem.

That was almost certainly not Netgear. It does not offer paid-for support.

If you are not eligible for post-purchase, 90-day support, Netgear refers you to GearHead Support. That is not the same number as Netgear, which tries hard to hide its phone numbers.

Do not, under any circumstances, part with any money to the companies that appear as "Netgear support" is a Google/Bing search. They just pay to appear in search results and then dedicate their lives to ripping off unsuspecting customers who then blame Netgear, and all the other hardware makers, when things go wrong.

This is a common complaint.

Re: Tech Support a Scam - Page 2 - NETGEAR Communities

Netgear tries to stop people from stealing its name, but these scammers have ways of ignoring that.

Just another user.

Message 423 of 434
Genkilljoy01
Aspirant

I just got this router yesterday...
I have all my wired setup (Xbox,TV,Shield,HP-Media Servers(Old but still kicking)) hookup thru an 8 port switch which then connects to the 3rd port on the router. The modem is an Ubee (Spectrum) in bridge mode. I am still fine tuning, but have notice that the Internet does drop then comes back in a few minutes. I have also notice that my wife’s computer was on (device list) and the connection did not drop. Does anyone think it times out due to inactivity? I also notice that my Xbox (not on) shows on the connected list then drops out and back in again...again when it might become active.
This is a very silly expensive problem….when all else might be working fine….I have not even look at the Plex Server…
I hope someone comes across a solution

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 424 of 434
myersw
Master

424 posts about same issue pretty well sums up the crap firmware support of Netgear. Take back if still within window or cut your loses and get something else from different vendor, IMHO. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 425 of 434
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E