Guide

Re: R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity

Hi, reading through this thread. I have a D7000 (assuming it's got the same wireless tech inside as the difference to the R is the way it connects to the internet). Over the last 2 weeks I have experienced the same, the 2.4Ghz channel dropping out as described by many of you (5GHz working perfectly). Interestingly the firmware for my device hasn't change, so my thought was hardware problem. The coincidence of so many people having the same problem at the same time is puzzling. I'll put this put there , as someone mentioned Samsang phone, my Nighthawk firmwae hasn't changed, but the Mrs Edge 7s did get a firmware update a couple of week's ago!  

Message 76 of 434
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Another D7000 with the same problem here.

It mainly affects phones, but not all phones, I've got Huawei phones and ZTE phones which tend to drop the connection first and report WiFi Connection failure. I've also seen it affect two Lenovo Laptops, and a Samsung device. The wired networking works fine right through.

It started on mine immediately after I'd upgraded to the latest firmware. Up until that it had been stable and working fine for months.

I've reflashed, downgraded (back to the level I was on), reflashed, upgraded, reflashed, all with factory reset after factory reset. None of it made any difference.

Your firmware update broke my router Netgear. I've given up on it and disabled the WiFi because I can't get it to remain stable, and am now back using an old WAP connected via cable, because at least that 2008 belkin device can provide me stable WiFi connectivity.

I'm not going to be buying Netgear again.

Message 77 of 434
Tutor

Yeap, 2.4 died after 24 hours.

Now I turn off/on 'Enable Wireless Router Radio' every day at 2:00AM in 'Advanced / Wireless Setings' - A bit of a clunky workaround but keeps 2.4 running without reverting firmware or hard reset.

If this isn't fixed by year end I'm switching to Google Wifi.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 78 of 434

@VTMoo wrote:

Now I turn off/on 'Enable Wireless Router Radio' every day at 2:00AM in 'Advanced / Wireless Setings' - A bit of a clunky workaround but keeps 2.4 running without reverting firmware or hard reset.

Nice one.

Something to add to the growing list of things to try.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 79 of 434
Apprentice

Agree, nice workaround. Unfortunately mine fails two to four times a day now. So I'll have to create multiple schedules and it only supports increments of 30 minutes.

Message 80 of 434
Apprentice

Who is able to try version 1.0.7.2_1.1.93? I had 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 running for years without any problems. Never rebooted the router. I never updated until a few weeks ago. I want to know if returning to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 and completely reseting the router will solve all the wifi 2.4 GHz problems. I know 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 was perfect for me. I even have a config backup file from that time. So is it worth to downgrade to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 and never update again???

Message 81 of 434
Apprentice

Never upgrading is a bad idea, because updates often contain security fixes. So never upgrading would leave you vulnerable to potential attacks. 

Message 82 of 434
Apprentice

@Westfa wrote:

Never upgrading is a bad idea, because updates often contain security fixes. So never upgrading would leave you vulnerable to potential attacks. 

I know. But I want to know if this is solving the issue. I can't find an answer to this question in all the WiFi 2.4GHz problem posts.

Message 83 of 434
Apprentice

I think the answer is pretty simple.  Perform a full reset using the hardware reset button.  It only takes 15 minutes to perform.  If that doesn't work, revert back to the known previos firmware and reset again.  If that doesn't work, call Netgear and report it.  Could be hardware or it could be software affecting only certain batches on components usind in the router.

Message 84 of 434
Star

@shoman94 wrote:

I think the answer is pretty simple. 

With respect, I think it's not. Stable hardware that just go berserk without any clear reason, without changing settings or updating, at multiple locations around the world, unfortunately doesn't qualify to have a pretty simple answer like your 3R's. (reset, rollback or report) 

There must be more to it, than just assume it's something we can fix with the standard troubleshooters like these.
I think it's something with the dhcp (leasetime) or the routers timesetting (corrupt ntp? int battery eol?). 

---

I've got mine pretty stable for the moment, by changing the ntp-server (http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/@) in ADVANCED>SECURITY>SCHEDULE and do a hard reboot (pwr off, wait 30s, pwr on).

Message 85 of 434
Apprentice

Definitely not that simple. Reverting to a previous firmware is fine for troubleshooting purposes as it could rule our hardware issues. If it works it's a temporary fix at best (security fixes).
Resetting the router is one of the first things most of us tried. No luck there.

As I've stated in an earlier message, contacting Netgear is the right thing to do, but I'm not sure if they will help if you're out of warranty. Starting this post at least exposed an issue that is much larger than I initially thought. When I (or someone else) does contact Netgear, it will definitely help speed things up as there's been a lot of collective troubleshooting already. Besides that Netgear does moderate these forums and I've been contacted via a PM by a Netgear support engineer to try some things and report back (beta firmware). When I get home later tonight, I'll do some testing.
Message 86 of 434
Apprentice

I downgraded to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 half an hour ago. I resored the backup from that time and version, it's from october 2016. From that time it was working great for more than a year.

Steps I took:

- Flashed 1.0.7.2_1.1.93

- Reset router, back site little small hole

- Restored the backup which was made with same 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 version

- Added/Changed some minor things, port forwarding, reservations.

Lets see what it does now!!

Message 87 of 434
Apprentice

What I'm saying is WE have 3 simple steps.  How is changing a time server going to effect only one wifi band and not the whole router? That would be pretty messed up!  The best thing we can do is reach out to Netgear and let them know whats going on.  There is only two possible things that happened.  One, a new firmware introduced and bug or two, you have a hardware failure.  Its great that everyone is trying different things to try and find a workaround but what I said are still true.  Sure more exposure here creates more buzz for Netgear to spot and thats great!.  

To this day I don't understand why more tech companies like this don't utilize the communities they have and have a large beta test before pushing it out officially.  This thread is an example as to why it should be done.  Whatever this bug is, it's effecting many.

Message 88 of 434
Apprentice

The 3 things we can do is simple and all I was pointing out. Many people are too lazy to even perform resets but they will spend hours here complaining things are broken.  With so many electronic devices in our households..... if I had a problem that was out of warranty, no fix is near and my family is effected, I'm usually getting a new router.

Message 89 of 434

@shoman94 wrote:
To this day I don't understand why more tech companies like this don't utilize the communities they have and have a large beta test before pushing it out officially.  This thread is an example as to why it should be done. 

Indeed. This is even more puzzling when you realise that Netgear does have an effective beta testing regime for new hardware, sometimes even for new software products.I have a bunch of stuff on the desk in front of me.

The gap seems to be in testing new firmware before unleashing it on the world. You would have thought that they might tap into those who tested hardware first time around as likely people to test new firmware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 90 of 434
Master

That would seem like the best possible answer may be someone will think of it up the corp. ladder and say how smart I'am to his boss.

Message 91 of 434
Apprentice

Right, there are so many devices now that there is no way for these companies to test every scenario.  Unleashing to the community reduces that chances of a backfire during a wide release.

Message 92 of 434
Apprentice

I agree that there are troubleshooting steps one should take, even before contacting support. Especially if you are tech savvy, there's no excuse if you don't and complain. But as you can read in a lot of reactions many things were already tried, except for going through the proper support channels. Although in my opinion, Netgear would do well to monitor this forum (if they don't already). It will give them valuable feedback and help their customers in the process.

If a problem like this goes on for too long, then people will be 'forced' to get a new router. Taking into account the pretty much flawless operation of this router in the last few years, I'm willing to give it and Netgear a chance to fix it.

Message 93 of 434
Apprentice

@Westfa wrote:

I agree that there are troubleshooting steps one should take, even before contacting support. Especially if you are tech savvy, there's no excuse if you don't and complain. But as you can read in a lot of reactions many things were already tried, except for going through the proper support channels. Although in my opinion, Netgear would do well to monitor this forum (if they don't already). It will give them valuable feedback and help their customers in the process.

If a problem like this goes on for too long, then people will be 'forced' to get a new router. Taking into account the pretty much flawless operation of this router in the last few years, I'm willing to give it and Netgear a chance to fix it.

I replied to this, got a kudo (see in my profile), edited my post for formatting, and now it's gone.  ???????

Any way to find it?

Message 94 of 434
Apprentice

I'd appreciate a direct message from anyone who got a copy via subscription, so I can repost. Thanks.

@mzguy wrote:

I replied to this, got a kudo (see in my profile), edited my post for formatting, and now it's gone.  ???????

Any way to find it?

Message 95 of 434
Apprentice

@Westfa wrote:

I agree that there are troubleshooting steps one should take, even before contacting support. Especially if you are tech savvy, there's no excuse if you don't and complain. But as you can read in a lot of reactions many things were already tried, except for going through the proper support channels.

<Original post disappeared; this is a repost>

I disagree with this view. First of all, when I buy a product, I am the customer. The company should not expect me to jump through hoops that take hours (reset, downgrade firmware, manually configure settings) to do their job for them and experiment to see if a fix will work.  This is not a reasonable expectation for your customers. So yes, there's every excuse in the world to complain if a firmware update causes big failures in a product that necessitates hours of work.

I haven't tried a hardware reset. Why? I think the probability of it fixing the issue is very  low, given others' experiences in this forum. But it's a lot of work. 

Netgear should communicate here to clarify whether the problem is acknowledged, whether the root cause is known, whether there is a workaround, and when a fix might  be coming.

Message 96 of 434
Apprentice

No luck for me, 2.4GHz down again, right now. It was up for almost 2 hours after the reset to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93. I don't get it. This version was great for months. The 2.4GHz devices still reply on a ping. How is that possible??? But no webconsole and smartphones still connected but no trafic possible. I am hopeless now.

Message 97 of 434
Guide

Well folks I hate to say it but this 'situation' is starting to look pretty bleak.  This forum is hosted by Netgear, yet I have seen no posts from them.  It's hard to believe they are monitoring without posting any news.   We have no assurance this is even on their radar.

And looking at other threads in this forum it looks like there have been similar problems in past years, and there are current problems with other Netgear routers.   So I'm not feeling very optimistic about a resolution to what might just be a "fragile design".   Has anyone started researching comparable products with other vendors?  Linksys perhaps?   (If anyone makes a successful jump please come back and tell us about it!)

Message 98 of 434
Apprentice

Yeah. I mailed JamesGL twice because he gave me a beta firmware. He is not answering me. He is posting on this forum so he is reading the info. I don't get it. There must be something going on.

Message 99 of 434
Apprentice

Al WiFi 2.4GHz devices still reply on their IP address (reservations). But when I take a look in the netgear console at "connected devices" the list of the 2.4GHz devices is there but all the IP addresses are gone. Empty fields. 5GHz devices are fine. 

Message 100 of 434
Top Contributors
Announcements