Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity

I'm also having the same issue.  This seems to have happened within the last few weeks after a firmware upgrade to V1.0.9.12_1.2.23

Message 26 of 434
Highlighted
Master

Hi All,

For those who have not tried the latest firmware, you may download it here.

https://kb.netgear.com/000052576/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-14

Message 27 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi, 

At least two of us in this topic already tried the latest firmware and it is just as broken as its predecessor. 

This morning the wifi was down again. I hope it gets resolved soon. I don't want to buy a new router, but I may not have a choice. 

Message 28 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

I disabled the 5ghz band 3 days ago and since i did I haven't had any disconnects at all.  It's not a firmware issue it has something to do with the bands.  Until they find a perm fix disable 5GHZ and you should be good.

Message 29 of 434
Highlighted
Guide

Well - after disabling the 5 GHz band my R7000 went for about 48 hours but then failed this evening.  It required 2 reboots to get going again.  Definitely an improvement, but still not fixed. 

Volstate - I'm not sure how you can say it's not a firmware problem.  What else could it be?   It's not hardware (unless it's a design problem), but the old firmware worked with this hardware.  The bands are controlled by the firmware.  Hard to belive that Netgear support is not more engaged with this issue.   

I still haven't tried going back to a very old version, but maybe that's next. 

>>>>  Anyone have any suggestions regarding Tomato or DD-WRT?  I've wasted way too much time on this.

Message 30 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

Sorry to hear it reset again. I've been lucky and havent had any resets using the latest firmware and disabling 5GHZ. But again, this is a workaround and not a solution and this is totally unacceptable for Netgear to allow this to carry on for so long. Maybe a class action lawsuit will get their attention...

Message 31 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi,

I'm now having to reset it daily. I don't have to reboot the entire router. Just reapplying the WiFi settings does the trick. It's really annoying though as I'm not always home to do it.

I started this thread to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem or of it was just me. I think it's pretty clear now that this is a wider problem.
I'm also aware that posting an issue isn't the same as contacting Netgear support directly, but I was hoping that some moderator at Netgear would pick up on it and somehow save the day Smiley Happy

I'll see about contacting Netgear support to try and get them to fix the problem or at least acknowledge it, so someone can start working on a fix.
Message 32 of 434
Highlighted
Guide

Westfa, have you tried disabling the 5 GHz radio, as discovered by Volstate?  I did that and it worked fine for 2 days, then 1 failure, and now it has gone 3 more days so far without failure.  Not a fix, but maybe an interim "pain reducer" and hopefully a clue for Netgear.  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 33 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

No, I haven't tried that. I have a few devices that operate on that frequency, like my Chromecast devices and Nest Thermostat. The fact that they are on 5GHz is the only reason they keep working when 2.4GHz fails so I'm a bit reluctant to disable that.
Message 34 of 434
Highlighted

I don't know if this will console or upset anyone, but here is one successful update:

Solved: Updated to newest firmware v1.0.9.14, but lost wir... - NETGEAR Communities

Might help anyone who has not tried this.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 35 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi,
I did a factory reset when I was on .12. Did not help. When. 14 came out, I upgraded, but didn't do a new factory reset. I'll give it a reluctant try. It's a pain to setup everything again, because I have quite a few DHCP reservations to re-enter.
Message 36 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

I did the update and factory reset....didn't fix it.  Only thing that keeps working is diabling 5GHZ.  Netgear really needs to figure this out or at least acknowledge they know of the problem and are seeking a solution.

Message 37 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

I have the exact same issue but with 5GHZ.  It only started happening after 1.0.9.12.  I updated to 1.0.9.14 this morning so we'll see how it goes.

Message 38 of 434
Highlighted

Having the same issue here as well, I believe after 1.0.9.12 but I'm not 100% sure (I had auto update enabled, which by the way doesn't seem to actually auto update all the time either).  Anyhow, I've tried 1.0.9.14 with no success, and I've tried rolling back to 1.0.9.10 with no success too.  Next up is the factory reset (which I have not tried yet).  For me usually 2.4ghz dies , but once in a while the 5g will die as well.  (my TPlink wifi plugs and nest go offline first on 2.4g and eventually my amazon echos on 5ghz and tablet/phones/laptops drop too also 5ghz)

Message 39 of 434
Highlighted

@djjaeger82 wrote:

Next up is the factory reset (which I have not tried yet).  drop too also 5ghz)

Without this you are shooting in the dark and wasting your time, especially if you keep chopping and changing between different firmware.

It guarantees nothing, but failing to reset makes it all but impossible to troubleshoot problems.

You can backup your current settings, but don't even think of restoring them unless the reset gets you nowhere. The very act of restoring your old setting can bring back the bugs you are trying to squish.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 40 of 434
Highlighted

I'm having the exact same issue. I've also hard reset the router and yet the problem persists. Im growing tired of rebooting my router several times a day.
Message 41 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

Same here. Had to do it twice today. Fortunately I don't have to reboot the whole thing. Just reapplying the WiFi settings works. Today I also found out that disabling/enabling the WiFi via the hardware button on the router also gets it up and running again.
Message 42 of 434
Highlighted
Master

I know one strange test but you would need to replace the netgear firmware with a third party firmware it would show if its hardware or firmware at lease.

Like I said it is a crazy idea.

Message 43 of 434
Highlighted

Well, so much for the factory reset that did nothing.  After 1hour everything failed again.  This time I cleared the log file (to make it easier to monitor) after everything was setup and running, the only suspicious thing I see in the log is the following:

[DHCP IP: (192.168.0.14)] to MAC address F4:09Smiley Very Happy8:EE:42:B0, Saturday, Dec 09,2017 13:27:19
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC F4:09Smiley Very Happy8:EE:42:B0, Saturday, Dec 09,2017 13:26:53
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC 80Smiley Very Happy2:1D:27Smiley Very Happy3Smiley Very HappyC, Saturday, Dec 09,2017 13:21:49
[DHCP IP: (192.168.0.15)] to MAC address 80Smiley Very Happy2:1D:27Smiley Very Happy3Smiley Very HappyC, Saturday, Dec 09,2017 12:30:16

It appears there was some kind of security error on two wireless devices (I'm trying to figure out which these are), but for each they were able to get an IP at some point (either before or after the error.  I was out for a few hours this afternoon but it appears that the wifi died right around the time of these security errors on the WLAN (around 1:30PM).

BTW I noticed even when I rolled the firmware back to 1.0.9.10 the web gui version stayed on the latest 1.0.9.14.  Any reason to think that could be part of the problem?  (seems unlikely).  I'm really puzzled what to try next here.  It can't be hardware issue, it only started a day ago when the firmware was updated to 1.0.9.12.  Smiley Sad

Hardware Version R7000
Firmware Version V1.0.9.10_1.2.21
GUI Language Version V1.0.9.14_2.1.38.1

PS... I should also mention I have guest wireless networks enabled on 2.4g and 5.0g.  I'm going to try disabling those now and see if it makes a difference.  (I doubt it will)

Message 44 of 434
Highlighted
Guide

>Westfa -- you said "...disabling/enabling the WiFi via the hardware button on the router also gets it up and running again."   What hardware button is that??  My R7000 has no such button - only a Power button.   (Just curious - it has no bearing on the problem, which seems to be increasing in "popularity".)

>William10a -- I've been wanting to try third party firmware, but am not sure where to start or how much hassle that will be.  (Two candidates might be Tomato and DD-WRT.)  Any suggestions or instructions??

Message 45 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

@JVJ83: The WiFi toggle button is on the front of the router. It looks like one of the lights, but it's actually a button. I think it's the one before last. Press it for two seconds until you see the two WiFi lights on the left turn off. Do the same to turn it back on again.

As for alternative firmware, I used to have a Linksys router with DD-WRT, which I ran for years without any issues. I quite liked it. So when I first got the Netgear router a few years back, I tried DD-WRT. It worked ok, but there were a few issues. If I remember correctly, they didn't have the correct developer kit to properly support the SoC. Resulting in lower LAN-WAN througput. I eventually switched back to the original firmware.
As the stock firmware worked fine, other than the annoyingly slow saving of settings, I never bothered to try again. Perhaps it's better now. I'll do some research when I have the time.

Does anyone else have experience with alternative firmware?
Message 46 of 434
Highlighted
Apprentice

Same here with V1.0.9.14_1.2.25. Wifi 2.4 stops working and 5 is working fine. I have this problem with the two latest firmware versions. I the past it was working great for months. Last two firmware versions not stable. 

Message 47 of 434
Highlighted

Reporting back....   Rolling firmware back to 1.0.9.10 and doing a factory reset did not fix the problem, nor did disabling the guest network.  (Wifi failed again within about 1 hour)

What has worked though, is I rolled firmware all the way back to the initial release 1.0.0.96 and did a factory reset.  This time I did the factory reset using a paperclip on the router instead of in the router web interface (not sure if that should make a difference or not).  I'm going on about 11hrs without wifi drop so far, and all looks good...  There are some other quirks with this initial release of firmware (for example remote management of the router doesn't seem to work even though I've enabled it).  If it makes it a full day or two I'll start updating to more recent firmware (at least something circa 2016) and see how it goes.

One other observation / note:

Even though the 5.0g wireless keeps working when the problem occurs and only the 2.4g devices drop.... If I go to the "attached devices" section in the web interface of the router only WIRED connections show up (all wireless devices, even 5.0g ones that are working no longer show up when the router is having its issue).  And I have had on occasion a 5.0g device stop working as well, but that is few and far between, maybe 5-10% of the time only.   So basically 100% of my 2.4g devices stop working and once in a while a 5.0g stops as well.

Message 48 of 434
Highlighted
Tutor

Everything was running faultlessly for me, then a few days ago I logged into the router and saw there was a firmware updgrade. Did that and I'm now on V1.0.9.14_1.2.25.

Next day all my Amazon Alexa devices are down, not connecting to internet. When I pick up my tablet to check what's up, no WiFi. Phone is OK, but that's on the 5ghz network. All the other stuff is on 2.4ghz. If I reboot the router, all will be well for a while, then it all the 2.4ghz hangs again.

Try a few of the workarounds, none have made any lasting difference. There's clearly an issue with the latest firmware.

Message 49 of 434
Highlighted

A couple of comments.

You can roll back to the earlier firmware pretty easily. As the latest "upgrade" seems to be designed to block a security hole that does not affect routers in router mode, only those configured as access points, you will lose next to nothing by reverting.

Second thought, someone else reported in one of the many discussions about the R7000 that their wifi returned to sanity when they separated the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels. It isn't clear how they did that – separate SSIDs or "Disable Smart Connect" – but it might be worth trying.

Just another user.

Message 50 of 434
Top Contributors
Announcements